IE functions and Vista

Ok, I have been distributing a little script I made, recently I got reports that it was not working for some people. Turns out they all run Vista, and after I tried on Vista I get the same error, it has something to do with IE and Vista, anyone else notice this or have a workaround? P.S. it works fine on all other OS.

Sounds suspicious. You would probably get more useful help if you would post some of the code.

lol @ suspicous, Im not really looking for help, just throwing out there that some ie functions seem weird in vista, wondering if ne1 else noticed this?

There has been a report of an issue with an extra, empty, IE window getting opened _IECreate on Vista... one user reports that it is caused by a security setting in IE7on Vista. I have reproduced this, but have no other information yet. This did not cause the script to fail.

Please post more detail about the issues that are being reported to you. I know of no other issues than the one referenced above.

Dale

Free Internet Tools: DebugBar, AutoIt IE Builder, HTTP UDF, MODIV2, IE Developer Toolbar, IEDocMon, Fiddler, HTML Validator, WGet, curl

MSDN docs: InternetExplorer Object, Document Object, Overviews and Tutorials, DHTML Objects, DHTML Events, WinHttpRequest, XmlHttpRequest, Cross-Frame Scripting, Office object model

Automate input type=file (Related)

Alternative to _IECreateEmbedded? better: _IECreatePseudoEmbedded  Better Better?

IE.au3 issues with Vista - Workarounds

SciTe Debug mode - it's magic: #AutoIt3Wrapper_run_debug_mode=Y

Doesn't work needs to be ripped out of the troubleshooting lexicon. It means that what you tried did not produce the results you expected. It begs the questions 1) what did you try?, 2) what did you expect? and 3) what happened instead?

Reproducer: a small (the smallest?) piece of stand-alone code that demonstrates your trouble

There has been a report of an issue with an extra, empty, IE window getting opened _IECreate on Vista... one user reports that it is caused by a security setting in IE7on Vista. I have reproduced this, but have no other information yet. This did not cause the script to fail.

Please post more detail about the issues that are being reported to you. I know of no other issues than the one referenced above.

Dale

They are errors with getting objects on certain pages, same pages that work fine on 2k and xp, and the objects are there. Weird thing is it doesnt always happen but it ONLY happens on vista.

Can't think of anything that would cause that kind of difference. Security changes are one area notorious for incompatibility issues because paranoia trumps logic. I expect everything else to be backward compatible.

Dale

Free Internet Tools: DebugBar, AutoIt IE Builder, HTTP UDF, MODIV2, IE Developer Toolbar, IEDocMon, Fiddler, HTML Validator, WGet, curl

MSDN docs: InternetExplorer Object, Document Object, Overviews and Tutorials, DHTML Objects, DHTML Events, WinHttpRequest, XmlHttpRequest, Cross-Frame Scripting, Office object model

Alternative to _IECreateEmbedded? better: _IECreatePseudoEmbedded  Better Better?

Doesn't work needs to be ripped out of the troubleshooting lexicon. It means that what you tried did not produce the results you expected. It begs the questions 1) what did you try?, 2) what did you expect? and 3) what happened instead?

Reproducer: a small (the smallest?) piece of stand-alone code that demonstrates your trouble

Hi lads,

I'm experiencing issues with IE.au3 on Vista too. My version of AutoIt is 3.2.4.9

The flavour of Vista I'm using is Home Premium, and the language is ZH-CN (chinese simplified). User Access Control (UAC) is enabled -default setting on Vista-

For instance:

#include <IE.au3>
$url = http://www.google.com
_IECreate($url,0,0)

will show the IE instance, despite the "visible" argument is set to 0!

If visible is set to 1, then 2 IE windows show up, one empty (as DaleHohm mentioned ), one showing www.google.com

I also noticed that despite the page gets fully loaded, the script keeps running, so _IELoadWait doesn't work as expected either...

However I just discovered that all these issues are gone when you disable Vista's UAC, or you run the script with Administrator credentials (for instace, compiling the script to an exe, right clicking on it and then selecting "Run as Administrator") Even when you are logged with a user that has administrator right, you still need to do the "Run as administrator" trick. Definitely weird...

Summarizing, it's all about user permissions. IE.au3 does work.

Hope it helps.

Why crabs don't give money to charity..... because they are shell-fish!! PS: Don't be a crab and share your scripts with the community! ;-)

Thank-you for the thoughtful analysis. This gives me a good starting place to try to find a work around/fix. I was not faliliar with UAC - if you have a convenient like to more info on that it would help as well.

Dale

Some investigation and testing shows taht can also use Tools -> Internet Options -> Security and turn off "Protected Mode" in Internet Explorer and everything works...

This really stinks. I'll keep looking for a reasonable way around this, but for the moment, turning off Protected Mode looks like the best work around.

Dale

• 5 months later...

When we say

"you run the script with Administrator credentials (for instace, compiling the script to an exe, right clicking on it and then selecting "Run as Administrator"

Can we use a #RequireAdmin at the top of the script instead of compiling it to a EXE file be possible?

When we say

"you run the script with Administrator credentials (for instace, compiling the script to an exe, right clicking on it and then selecting "Run as Administrator"

Can we use a #RequireAdmin at the top of the script instead of compiling it to a EXE file be possible?

Yes, in fact there was discussion of this in another thread earlier today. The post referenced in my sig was updated to change the Run As Administrator recommendation to #RequireAdmin

Dale

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know where this issue I've noticed occurs, but thought it would fit nicely into the thread, since it involves a combination of IE7, Vista, AutoIt and IE.au3.

Background:

My DSL link is flaky, and I got sick of manually rebooting my router via web config every two mins (on some bad days). I made a little program, using AutoIt and IE.au3 (MUCH earlier version) to automatically login to the web config, load a specific page and submit a reboot form.

The good news:

Thanks to AutoIt, I still have hair! :) While not yet what I wanted it to be, my rebooter program does what I needed it to do.

The weird part:

What's been puzzling me lately is the status bar I included in the rebooter. On XP and 2K, the status bar works as expected and shows all the details: file URLs as they are loading and the Javascript countdown 'till reboot complete, provided by the router. On Vista -- I guess it could be just IE7 and not at all related to Vista, as I only have IE7 on my one Vista PC -- the status bar basically only says "Done" and that's about it. My Vista security settings are at a "this will leave your computer vulnerable" level because my network is highly restrictive, especially to inbound new connections (not replies). The UAC also drove me nucking futs before the first day was half over! (first day = of using Vista) It's been off since...

Any thoughts?

DSL604-Restarter v3.2.2.3, compiled with AutoIt 3.2.3.10 on 28/04/2007 02:59:50.

And, for the curious, or masochists... ^_^

DSL604_Restarter.au3

I haven't looked at your script, but the only issue I have seen associated with Vista has to do with the new UAC security model. You can easily avoid the trouble by adding #RequireAdmin to the top of your script.

Please try this and see if your troubles are still there.

Dale