Tired of text logs?

jprater

I've been using a program called Dalek coupled with a simple UDF to use syslogs instead of writing text logs to keep track of what my Au3 scripts are doing. Makes life a bit easier than tracking logs on each computer or missing logs on a network share while our Road Warrior's are away. There are a couple variables I use aas constants with other things that can be freely changed or set as you see fit.

For use I place the Dalek.exe file inside of a sub folder of a working folder I use for various other things. EG: C:\Storage\Utils\Dalek.exe Since I work withing the C:\Storage directory with all of my scripts I use a variable to define it incase I ever need to move that folder's location. The UDF itself is pretty simple, as is the use of dalek. A once over and you should figure out it's use.

UDF Follows:

;Path to directory containing Utils Directory
$ConStoragePath = "C:\Storage\"
;IP Address of syslog server
$ConSyslogServer = "127.0.0.1"

;Syslogging Function
Func Syslog($Priority, $Message)
Select
    Case $Priority = "1"
        $Pri = "Alert"
    Case $Priority = "2"
        $Pri = "Crit"
    Case $Priority = "3"
        $Pri = "Debug"
    Case $Priority = "4"
        $Pri = "Emerg"
    Case $Priority = "5"
        $Pri = "Err"
    Case $Priority = "6"
        $Pri = "Info"
    Case $Priority = "7"
        $Pri = "Notice"
    Case $Priority = "8"
        $Pri = "Warning"
    Case Else
        $Pri = "Error"
EndSelect
Run($ConStoragePath & "Utils\dalek.exe -l " & $ConSyslogServer & " -p user." & $Pri & " " & $Message, "", @SW_MINIMIZE)
EndFunc

-Enjoy!

Yeah, it is shareware, but I spent about 4 hours looking for a free-ware util that offered the same functionality and could not find one. It's also control free, so it's basicly an ethical thing to pay him. In my opinion it's well worth the $10/node. Another tid bit is Kiwi Secure Tunnel which allows for encrypted syslogging. This may be ideal for someone logging over the internet, or on any other untrusted network. They've got a free version, which isn't as robust as the full, but again if you need this function it's worth while. We use this from site-site, so only 1server/client is needed. We just collect syslogs at each site, then our remote site back-hauls them to us.

• Developers

Yeah, it is shareware, but I spent about 4 hours looking for a free-ware util that offered the same functionality and could not find one. It's also control free, so it's basicly an ethical thing to pay him. In my opinion it's well worth the $10/node. Another tid bit is Kiwi Secure Tunnel which allows for encrypted syslogging. This may be ideal for someone logging over the internet, or on any other untrusted network. They've got a free version, which isn't as robust as the full, but again if you need this function it's worth while. We use this from site-site, so only 1server/client is needed. We just collect syslogs at each site, then our remote site back-hauls them to us.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why not also use the KLOG program from KIWI ?

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

I tried the KLogger program but I had a hard time getting it to use TCP/IP. It would send syslogs perfectly to the local machine, but would not send them via our network. I'm not sure if it's the diference between the free and registered versions or what, but dalek worked first try. I do use KIWI's Deamon as the server side, but as for transmitting the entries KLogger didn't work like I wanted it to.

• 4 years later...