selecting from a list

I have an application that I need to select an entry from a list form that is never the same (daily updates) so Its difficult to rely on the screen position or entry field being in the same spot everytime?

Dont know if this makes sense (I'm sure it doesn't!) But basically this is the gist of the scenario..

I have a traffic file (TV Software) that I will import at various times to double check against the items on the video server (validating the metadata and other clip resources, sound files, preview of video, etc..) So I can send a "find" command just fine, the problem comes with once I have located the file I have to double click the file (which I wish to automate) but the screen on my computer may be different resolution, depending on who is running the script, the may not have the same screen real estate, monitor, all of the above possible problems..So I can get the thing to work on "my pc" but if anyone else wants to run this same script and not have "the same exact" PC setup, folder locations, scree res, it will flop..

Any ideas on how to do such a thing?

Examples would be great even if not in a similar vein of software, I just would like to be able to change my script to access this and any other files in the future I would want to alter or data check as far as whats in the list and any new entries i would want to manipulate.I have another application that I need the same process to set a script in motion but there is not "command" or shortcut (or customizable keystroke) to select the portion of the screen at the top of the list then send a "next" command to, so the list would be running overnight and I could check on my progress in the morning.

I know...read the helpfile..maybe I m just not looking in the proper area so even a point in that right direction would be great.There is not control Id or class name that I can find on this particular application..

stumped!

thanks guys, I'm slowly but surely starting to wrap my noodle about the auto it methods..but yes, I am slow! Not a programmer or coder by nature..

I have an application that I need to select an entry from a list form that is never the same (daily updates) so Its difficult to rely on the screen position or entry field being in the same spot everytime?

I know...read the helpfile..maybe I m just not looking in the proper area so even a point in that right direction would be great. There is not control Id or class name that I can find on this particular application..

stumped!

Does that mean you have used Au3Info.exe on it, and got nothing at all? Does it create it's own GUI, or is it running in a web browser? Can you post the AutoIt Window Info data that you do get, and perhaps a screenshot of it? What is the name of the application?

With more info, maybe we can find a way.

:rolleyes:

Edited by PsaltyDS
Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

Does that mean you have used Au3Info.exe on it, and got nothing at all? Does it create it's own GUI, or is it running in a web browser? Can you post the AutoIt Window Info data that you do get, and perhaps a screenshot of it? What is the name of the application?

With more info, maybe we can find a way.

Hey thanks for the reply, the application has its own gui, no web browser, ist called Media Prep, its a tool used for editing and setting up video clips to be "ready to go to air" (broadcast)

Well I can get the application to start up, log in, open the said "playlist" (basically a list of video clips that are scheduled to run each day) but then when I do a search to find the clip and adjust the mark in and mark points (to cut or trim out the extra black frames that each broadcast video comes with so they all start and end with the same Black screen) So Im having some success yes, the scripting is really really helpful; and I know once i get this figured out it will get even better.

post-22978-1182873905_thumb.jpg

Hey thanks for the reply, the application has its own gui, no web browser, ist called Media Prep, its a tool used for editing and setting up video clips to be "ready to go to air" (broadcast)

Well I can get the application to start up, log in, open the said "playlist" (basically a list of video clips that are scheduled to run each day) but then when I do a search to find the clip and adjust the mark in and mark points (to cut or trim out the extra black frames that each broadcast video comes with so they all start and end with the same Black screen) So Im having some success yes, the scripting is really really helpful; and I know once i get this figured out it will get even better.

I think that ClassNameNN for the control: TcxGridSite3 means it was written on Borland Delphi. That may mean it draws its own windows without using the standard Windows APIs.

I never found a solution to that with ColdFusionMX windows, hope somebody can tell you something better about Delphi TcxGridSite controls...

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

I think that ClassNameNN for the control: TcxGridSite3 means it was written on Borland Delphi. That may mean it draws its own windows without using the standard Windows APIs.

I never found a solution to that with ColdFusionMX windows, hope somebody can tell you something better about Delphi TcxGridSite controls...

Oh yes, Im sorry not to clarify, it certainly is written in Delphi..