StringRegExp and computer name matches

Hey All,

I'm really new at this and maybe I'm going about this the wrong way, I'm hoping someone can help. I'm trying match part of a computers name from an array to the actual computer name and do some task if it matches the department. For example if computer name is dept1-joeblow then reset local password to this, if computername is Site2-johndoe then reset local password to that (the event is irrelevant, it's just an example)

Here is what I got

$arrDeptCodes = _ArrayCreate("Dept1-", "Dept2-", "Site1-", "Site2-", "core1-", "core2-")
For $i = $arrDeptCodes to $arrDeptCodes
    $n = StringRegExp(@ComputerName, $i)
    If $n = 1 Then;Gets a Match
        MsgBox (1, "Match", "Match = " & $i & @ComputerName)
    Else; No Match
        MsgBox (1, "No Match", "Not = " & $i & @ComputerName)
    EndIf
Next

The problem is that the first dept does not display and it $n gets set to 1 when it should be 0. The rest of the values are always 0. I really can't wrap my head around this one for some reason.

• Moderators

You need to have an understanding of arrays first.

$arrDeptCodes = _ArrayCreate("Dept1-", "Dept2-", "Site1-", "Site2-", "core1-", "core2-")oÝ÷ Øæï¬'+y«^±©Ú®¶²¶¬¢w¡jÎrدyé^éí³Ka® ®¶­sdf÷"b33c¶Òb33c¶'$FWD6öFW2Fòb33c¶'$FWD6öFWoÝ÷ Øò¢êeiÇjg¬±¨npØcºËtߦ«¬7©´*zȧܨ»
.ÛzØZ¶+b±¹ZK(Ê­æÚ²'¬k(§Z+Ó~¢oÝ÷ ÛMúÊ'µ¨§²Ø^rêëz{gºfÞ®íéh¢­Ê'jëh×6$arrDeptCodes[6] = ["Dept1-","Dept2-","Site1-","Site2-","core1-","core2-"]
For $i = 0 To UBound($arrDeptCodes) - 1 ; UBound contains the number of elements in the 1 dimensional array
    If StringRegExp(@ComputerName, $arrDeptCodes[$i] & '.+?') Then ; If @ComputerName Contains $arrDeptCodes[ElementNumber] First, and more characters to follow Then
        MsgBox (1, "Match", "Match = " & $i & @ComputerName)
    Else; No Match
        MsgBox (1, "No Match", "Not = " & $i & @ComputerName)
    EndIf
Next

I typed this in the reply box, so don't know if there are any mistakes :rolleyes:

Edit:

Damn forum makes nearly impossible to edit CODE!!! :rambo:

Edited by SmOke_N

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

• Moderators

Legacy was pretty close with his own code.

$arrDeptCodes = _ArrayCreate("Dept1-", "Dept2-", "Site1-", "Site2-", "core1-", "core2-")
For $i in $arrDeptCodes
No he wasn't... might want to re-look at the "whole" picture...

Changing the method of the loop doesn't make it "close".

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the input. This is a huge learning curve. I tried both suggestions and came up with this that works, execpt, the pattern is case senstive. The computer name must match the case of the array. For example, if the computer is named dept1- it does not match. How do I overcome that hurdle?

$n = 0
For $i = 0 to UBound($arrDeptCodes) -1  
    $display_dept = $arrDeptCodes[$i]
    $n = StringRegExp(@ComputerName, $display_dept, 0)

If $n = 1 Then
        MsgBox (1, "Match", "MATCH: N= " & $n & ' computer= ' & @ComputerName & " i= " & $i);This output is for my sanity
    Else
        MsgBox (1, "No Match", "NO MATCH: N= " & $n & ' computer= ' & @ComputerName & " i= " & $i);Same here.
    EndIf
Next

#include <Array.au3>

For $i in $arrDeptCodes
    $n = StringRegExp(@ComputerName, "(?i)" & $arrDeptCodes[$i], 0)

If $n Then
        MsgBox (1, "Match", "MATCH: N= " & $n & ' computer= ' & @ComputerName & " i= " & $i);This output is for my sanity
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
Next

If NOT $n Then MsgBox (1, "No Match", "NO MATCH: N= " & $n & ' computer= ' & @ComputerName & " i= " & $i);Same here.

@weaponx.

the [$i] in line $n = StringRegExp(@ComputerName, "(?i)" & $arrDeptCodes[$i], 0)

is passing the dept name not the row number so I always get a fail.

Tell me if I'm wrong but it would litererally read "test string"=%computername% in the array "arrDeptCodes" @ row Dept1 with pattern Dept1, @ row Dept2 with pattern Dept2, etc. In the msgbox, $i = core2- every time since it's the last in the array. Am I crazy or is that what it's doing?

Regardless if I'm crazy, very interesting stuff.

Thanks

oops sorry

#include <Array.au3>

For $i in $arrDeptCodes
    $n = StringRegExp(@ComputerName, "(?i)" & $i, 0)

If $n Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
Next

If NOT $n Then MsgBox (1, "No Match", "NO MATCH: N= " & $n & ' computer= ' & @ComputerName & " i= " & $i);Same here.

Hey no worries man, I was just trying to understand what you did, not beat up on you. Thanks for the input. After I seen the edit I should have just looked at it closer and figured it out myself, it makes total sense now so all is not lost. I really want to understand it, not just blindly copy and paste.

PS- it does work your way too :rolleyes:

No problem. Your previous method was just continuing the loop even if a match was found and I don't think thats what you wanted. If you need any other help aside from the topic I can probably help.