LaunchAsAdmin

FuryCell

Edit:New Version here.

I have recently started using a nonadmin account for day to day tasks. To install things I often used to use the runas context menu item. However runas can be a major pain in the butt being it only shows up on exes. That makes trying to launch msis,bats and the like with admin rights a major hassle. Not any more. :rolleyes:

Just run the script and it will add itself to the current users sendto menu. Now any file can be launched with the administrator account. :x All you do is click the option in sendto and type your admin password. Easy as pie. :rambo:

Step1

Posted Image

Step2

Posted Image

Old Version Removed. See New Version here.

Previous Downloads:157

Edited by P5ych0Gigabyte
HKTunes:Softpedia | GoogleCodeLyricToy:Softpedia | GoogleCodeRCTunes:Softpedia | GoogleCodeMichtaToolsProgrammer n. - An ingenious device that turns caffeine into code.

• 2 weeks later...

I have recently started using a nonadmin account for day to day tasks. To install things I often used to use the runas context menu item. However runas can be a major pain in the butt being it only shows up on exes. That makes trying to launch msis,bats and the like with admin rights a major hassle. Not any more. :whistle:

Just run the script and it will add itself to the current users sendto menu. Now any file can be launched with the administrator account. ;) All you do is click the option in sendto and type your admin password. Easy as pie. :lmao:

Nice! so far - it compiled and installed on my work PC. Can't wait to try it on my Windows XP Home PC, which has multiple user accounts and where I'm constantly having to upgrade then downgrade user accounts ...

Couple of thoughts:

• How about a parameter to specify the admin account name that on install, writes this to the HKLM registry - assuming many folks will have changed the default MS-provided name. If the admin accounts could be determined at run-rime, even better!
  • Is there any way to install this on all user accounts (or better, on all non-admin accounts) without having to login as each user and install it?
... I'm willing to help with these mods ...

EDIT: May have sorted the first one, without needing a command-line parm or registry write. Took out the prompt and RunAsSet stuff, and added #RequireAdmin at the top. According to other posts in the forum, this should pop-up a "RunAs" box for non-admin accounts, which should allow me to choose an admin account and enter its password making sure the compiled script is being run as an admin user.

Edited by MisterBates

Hi P5ych0Gigabyte & others

Here are some alternate methods, etc, etc

Admin Rights & Shortcuts For All

Admin File Management

:whistle:

Can one of the powers that be here, fix up the tiresome issue of double http//

I've had this issue many times in the past (as I'm sure have many others).

I already attempted to fix the links once, but the edit still returned a double http.

One should be able to copy a link and paste it - the forum program should detect the existence of a http, and not add its own unless it was missing.

NOT AGAIN!!! This is a right pain ... third time lucky ... hopefully?

FINALLY IT'S FIXED!

It seems, you cannot successfully copy and paste a link from another post, without using Notepad or somesuch as an intermediary (to remove any existing formatting). In other words you need to perform the following steps -

1) Copy the link name to Notepad.

2) Copy link URL to Notepad.

3) Copy link name from Notepad and paste in new post.

4) Copy link URL from Notepad and paste in new post - using the add link button option.

It's all rather tiresome, and when I haven't posted for awhile, I inevitably forget all these steps - would be nice if you could just copy and paste ... not even have to use the add link button. :lmao:

Edited by TheSaint

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

Hi P5ych0Gigabyte & others

Here are some alternate methods, etc, etc

Admin Rights & Shortcuts For All

Admin File Management

@TheSaint: On first quick look will work for me, except that the script still assumes that an 'Administrator' account with admin rights exists on the PC - this is not the case for my home PC (I changed the account name) or my work PC (my company changed the name). Would you consider adding code to get login names from the Administrators group and allowing selection of admin login from the result? Something based on code in this post might be the way to go - and let me know if I can help (or even do) the mods.

BTW, I have no problems using the [AddLink] button. It opens a popup with http:// highlighted, I paste the URL in (overwriting what's there) and it creates the tags. :">

• 3 weeks later...

I have created a new version based on #RequireAdmin. (Thanks MisterBates). I will release it after a little bit of testing.

What's cool about it now is that on Vista it automatically pops up the UAC dialog instead of the boring old inputbox I had before. :)

Edited by P5ych0Gigabyte
HKTunes:Softpedia | GoogleCodeLyricToy:Softpedia | GoogleCodeRCTunes:Softpedia | GoogleCodeMichtaToolsProgrammer n. - An ingenious device that turns caffeine into code.

I have created a new version based on #RequireAdmin. (Thanks MisterBates). I will release it after a little bit of testing.

What's cool about it now is that on Vista it automatically pops up the UAC dialog instead of the boring old inputbox I had before. :)

Done. Please note the scripts need to be compiled to execute properly , and LaunchAsAdmin.au3 has to be compiled first as installer.au3 uses fileinstall.

Installer.au3LaunchAsAdmin.au3PointingUser.ICO

For those to lazy to compile or who are without AutoIt on their machine exe available here.

Edited by P5ych0Gigabyte