_RoundList()

james3mg

OK, a nice 'n easy one I made for a project I thought I'd throw out there:

Func _RoundList($_rl_num,$_rl_list)
    $_rl_list=StringSplit($_rl_list,"|,");split the list of possibilities into an array
    If $_rl_list[0]=1 Then Return $_rl_list[1];if there's only one possibility in the list, return the list (single value)
    Local $_rl_lowestIndex=1;this var will determine which possibility will be returned
    For $_rl_i=1 To $_rl_list[0];start looping through each possibility in the list
        If Abs($_rl_num-$_rl_list[$_rl_i])<Abs($_rl_num-$_rl_list[$_rl_lowestIndex]) Then $_rl_lowestIndex=$_rl_i;if the next possibility is closer than the current closest, store the index of the next possiblity
    Next
    Return $_rl_list[$_rl_lowestIndex];return the list value at the index determined to be the closest
EndFunc
True to my usual form, I don't tend to do much error checking, because other than throwing in some non-numerals in the list, I can't think of a way to make this error! Oh well, at least I'm trying to work on my commenting (actually doing it)

Call this function like so:

_RoundList(5.1212,"1,2,4,8,16")

and it will return the value from your list that's closest to the first parameter. You can also separate your list elements with a pipe ( | ) character, or a mix of pipes and commas. Giving it a string with non-numerals will just treat it like AutoIt always does - either truncate at the character or convert it to be equal to 0. However, the return value will not be converted - it will be given back to you as you provided it. That is, if you run:

_RoundList(1,"5,a,-2)

it will return "a" since a is considered to be 0.

Anyway, I don't think there's a huge demand for this (I've only had use for it a few times), so I thought I'd throw it out, and hopefully it helps someone someday!

Later :rolleyes:

Edit: I posted a slightly older (and longer) version at first...my mistake.

Edited by james3mg
"There are 10 types of people in this world - those who can read binary, and those who can't.""We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true." ~Robert Wilensky0101101 1001010 1100001 1101101 1100101 1110011 0110011 1001101 10001110000101 0000111 0001000 0001110 0001101 0010010 1010110 0100001 1101110