Detecting status in Mozilla/Firefox

I have a search engine that uses the "Done" that is presented in the IE status bar to detect the page is loaded before I extract and process the content. Firefox doesn't support the status function (and they adamantly deny it's a defect).

Anyone have an easy way to detect page load completion with Firefox?

Firefox doesn't support the status function (and they adamantly deny it's a defect).

Quite the contrary. The Firefox community, as far as I can tell, and the Open Source community in general, consider the fact that Windows in general and MS IE in particular allow external manipulation by other processes (like AutoIt scripts) to be a major defect in Microsoft products.

I don't believe they have any intention of exposing an external API for just that reason.

Now internally, Firefox is Open Source and (as many already have) you can code your own plug-in or extension. You can even code your own new fork of Firefox itself if you want. But if your version simply pokes holes in the security to allow external processes to manipulate it, there will not be many who want to download your version. I'm afraid the phrase "I made a version of Firefox that is just as easy to script as IE" would be understood as "I made a version of Firefox as easy to hijack and add malware to as IE."

:whistle:

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

I won't argue about the security issues. That didn't answer my question, though, unless the answer is "no way". I've considered probing the progress bar for pixel color, or doing character recognition in the status bar area, but those seems ridiculous (and slow).

Quite the contrary. The Firefox community, as far as I can tell, and the Open Source community in general, consider the fact that Windows in general and MS IE in particular allow external manipulation by other processes (like AutoIt scripts) to be a major defect in Microsoft products.

I don't believe they have any intention of exposing an external API for just that reason.

Now internally, Firefox is Open Source and (as many already have) you can code your own plug-in or extension. You can even code your own new fork of Firefox itself if you want. But if your version simply pokes holes in the security to allow external processes to manipulate it, there will not be many who want to download your version. I'm afraid the phrase "I made a version of Firefox that is just as easy to script as IE" would be understood as "I made a version of Firefox as easy to hijack and add malware to as IE."

:whistle: