I'm new

I'm new to autoit and would like very much to learn the language so i was wondering if anyone would be nice enough to teach me, like PMing me assignments to code and explaining certain things that i do not understand, i know the basics and stuff be when i try to get more advanced i fail misrably and as a result haven't coded for 2 months and my comp crashed so all scripts no matter how bad were deleted. i know you all have better things to do, but please it would be much apritiated

It might not be the most exciting thing to do but the help file is really good... if you read it and forgot everything you just read you probably don't have a specific idea of what you are trying to code...

What do you want to achieve with autoit? if you give us an idea of what you want to do maybe we can point you at some more specific help file functions...

Did you do the 'hello world' script in the help file? Thats always a good place to start.

Lastly, not to be rude, but the way your attitude is coming off can and probably will rub some people the wrong way. Are you having trouble with something particular? Arrays for example? I'd be happy to give you a better explanation or some help even in a PM but I really need some narrowing down in order to help you anymore.

While ProcessExists('Andrews bad day.exe')
	BlockInput(1)
	SoundPlay('Music.wav')
	SoundSetWaveVolume('Louder')
WEnd

read the help file i forget everything after i finish reading

Download and run Valuater's excellent tutorial "AutoIt 1-2-3". It will take you through lots of useful functions. Link in my sig, below...

:whistle:

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

thanks i'll try the tutorial, i was thinking of using autoit to code something for techfair but i have no idea what and on closer expection realized i don't even know the language, i've done hello world and i have coded a quick launch bar simple gui with links to my programs with pictures instead of text, nothing hard

Your on you way Darth..

Simple network based Chat clients seem to be popular.

Whenever you get stuck with something, or cannot understand parameters for a function in the help file, have a go at using them, search the forums for that function with a few different queries, and if all else fails, post your test code (even if it is not working) and let us know what it did/didnt do, and what you expected it to do.

You dont necessarily have to use the function for anything useful, just find something to use it on.

Then most people will be more than willing to help fix that bit of code.. you will learn something, and with any bit of luck others will search and they will learn something to.

thanks i'll try the tutorial, i was thinking of using autoit to code something for techfair but i have no idea what and on closer expection realized i don't even know the language, i've done hello world and i have coded a quick launch bar simple gui with links to my programs with pictures instead of text, nothing hard

I like that idea :\

Is this the techfair you are thinking of?

http://www.techfair.org/pc.html

I am wondering after reading this (conditions sound nice and fair) what would happen if you were to open the AutoIt helpfile:

Contestants may bring to the contest only the manuals for their computers. Any contestant using other resources including textbooks, published program listings, notes, or disks other than the blank ones submitted at the end, will be disqualified.

i also find the user of floppy discs to be Archaic, and am even more amused by the fact that my computer does not have one.

I am also disheartened by this: http://www.techfair.org/pp.html

self-executing programs created using recognizable programming languages such as BASIC, C++, Pascal, LOGO

No AutoIt listing :whistle:, which is a real pitty, as it is the perfect language for this kind of item creation.

Otherwise, this whole Techfair thing sounds like a great way to get young people thinking on the ball, if you happen to attend, can you please list what the challenges for the 2 hour on-site programming was?

Would be great to hear.