Help file index broke, and it crashes when closed

After downloading the latest v3.2.4.9, the index in my help file is no longer there at all.

I can view the index, but there are no entries. When I search something it tells me that the index is not linked.

Sometimes, the help file crashes straight away, but that is a lot less frequent.

I did a fresh re-install, with the uninstall before continue option.

After downloading the latest v3.2.4.9, the index in my help file is no longer there at all.

I can view the index, but there are no entries. When I search something it tells me that the index is not linked.

Sometimes, the help file crashes straight away, but that is a lot less frequent.

I did a fresh re-install, with the uninstall before continue option.

I downloaded the 3.2.4.9 update some time ago but I don't have this problem. I suggest that you download again and re-install, I expect that will fix it.

Serial port communications UDF Includes functions for binary transmission and reception.printing UDF Useful for graphs, forms, labels, reports etc.Add User Call Tips to SciTE for functions in UDFs not included with AutoIt and for your own scripts.Functions with parameters in OnEvent mode and for Hot Keys One function replaces GuiSetOnEvent, GuiCtrlSetOnEvent and HotKeySet.UDF IsConnected2 for notification of status of connected state of many urls or IPs, without slowing the script.

Already did that, and mentioned it in the initial post.

Works fine for me... maybe it's being blocked by the Annoying Sig Detector!

:whistle:

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

Already did that, and mentioned it in the initial post.

Oh, sorry.

I read it as "Did a fresh re-install over my previous version of Autoit" not " Did a fresh re-install of version 3.2.4.9".

Sounds like a faulty installation doesn't it? In these situations I try renaming the existing file with a problem, then installing just that file again so that I know it won't be put in the same place on the hard disc in case the problem is some mysterious hard disc problem.

I have just tried a re-install as well, and the help is fine. Are you able to try installing on another PC?

Serial port communications UDF Includes functions for binary transmission and reception.printing UDF Useful for graphs, forms, labels, reports etc.Add User Call Tips to SciTE for functions in UDFs not included with AutoIt and for your own scripts.Functions with parameters in OnEvent mode and for Hot Keys One function replaces GuiSetOnEvent, GuiCtrlSetOnEvent and HotKeySet.UDF IsConnected2 for notification of status of connected state of many urls or IPs, without slowing the script.

There are a couple ways to run the help file. If you double click the AutoIt.chm or AutoIt3.chm, then windows hh.exe opens the file. But if you run the AutoIt3Help.exe, it is self contained and creates an AutoIt.chw file in the directory. The only thing I can think of is you don't have perms to create/overwrite that .chw file?

:whistle:

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

This is a windows issue, try the following :

Rename the file hh.dat, which you should find here: \Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\Microsoft\HTMLHelp

The hh.dat file stores user-specific information on all the HTML Help files on the machine (favourite topics, search history, etc.), and can cause the files to misbehave if it has somehow been corrupted. Windows will automatically create a new version of the file when you next open any help file. You can then restore the old hh.dat file if necessary.

Check the version number of \Windows\system32\hhctrl.ocx if it's less than 5.2.3735.0, upgrade the HTML Help viewer components by installing Microsoft Critical Update 811630. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811630

Use MJ's Help Diagnostics to check that the components required to view help files are properly installed and registered on your machine. http://helpware.net/downloads/index.htm#MJs The only section of the MJ's Help Report that is relevant to your problem is the one headed "HTML Help Run-time Components".

This is a windows issue, try the following :

Rename the file hh.dat, which you should find here: \Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\Microsoft\HTMLHelp

The hh.dat file stores user-specific information on all the HTML Help files on the machine (favourite topics, search history, etc.), and can cause the files to misbehave if it has somehow been corrupted. Windows will automatically create a new version of the file when you next open any help file. You can then restore the old hh.dat file if necessary.

Check the version number of \Windows\system32\hhctrl.ocx if it's less than 5.2.3735.0, upgrade the HTML Help viewer components by installing Microsoft Critical Update 811630. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811630

Use MJ's Help Diagnostics to check that the components required to view help files are properly installed and registered on your machine. http://helpware.net/downloads/index.htm#MJs The only section of the MJ's Help Report that is relevant to your problem is the one headed "HTML Help Run-time Components".

Thanks! MJ's Help Diagnostics told me that this file was missing: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Help\HxVz.dll

So I got that from dllbank, and placed it in the proper folder. The index is back now, and the help file is no langer crashing.

Thanks everyone!

Thanks! MJ's Help Diagnostics told me that this file was missing: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Help\HxVz.dll

So I got that from dllbank, and placed it in the proper folder. The index is back now, and the help file is no langer crashing.

Thanks everyone!

I used to think that AutoIt was causing problems on my PC, but after some studies i found out that most of the problems come from windows since it's very buggy and sensitive.