Support Concerns

We are trying to get AutoIT approved for use in the company that I am currently doing consulting work. The security group has a concern with the long term viability of freeware. Mostly because of the support risk that the author / company that produces the software may go away at some point. It appears from the AutoIT website that it has been around since at least 1999 and possibly prior to that. Could you please reply addressing the concern of the long term viability of the product and support for the product?

Thank you.

AutoIt has just recently been rewritten to support unicode. Perhaps the effort that task has taken may answer your question. Jonathan Bennett is still young enough to keep AutoIt going strong. :whistle:

We are trying to get AutoIT approved for use in the company that I am currently doing consulting work. The security group has a concern with the long term viability of freeware. Mostly because of the support risk that the author / company that produces the software may go away at some point. It appears from the AutoIT website that it has been around since at least 1999 and possibly prior to that. Could you please reply addressing the concern of the long term viability of the product and support for the product?

Thank you.

Autoit isn't going anywhere fast if I (and I'm sure any other regular to this forum) have any say in the matter.

Viva Autoit!!! :whistle:

Edited by Paulie

Welcome to the forum - albeit it late - as this is your 4th post.

Let us look at one scenario:

You have a copy of the latest AutoIt today.

According to your other thread, you have a script that does what you want.

If somehow this AutoIt forum folds today... you still have a freeware program with an excellent help file and the odds of you running into a function with a bug that you cannot work around are slim.

Also, there are several other forums that support AutoIt - I doubt that they would all fold at once. [There is the yahoo group: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/AutoItList/]

I understand that were all development to halt today, there might be issues with future MS Operating Systems - but since most of the current AutoIt functions seem to work on Vista, I would say that you are covered for a while to come.

[size="1"][font="Arial"].[u].[/u][/font][/size]