Is it possible to change the product descripton?

Note to developers (Mainly Jon): It should be doable to traverse the PE structure of the file looking for where the version info is stored and modify it either in memory (While adding the script into it, however thats done), or after it's already been copied but before UPX. The actual details I don't know because I don't know exactly how the "compiler" works.

Note to self: Re-read the articles on PE format and actually test above idea.

Note to somebody else: Remind me of the above (And if you can, add 3 - 4 hours onto days so I have time to do C++ stuff again).

For those interested in the articles:

Article 1

Article 2

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Developers

Just as a work-around , I have updated the compileau3.exe script that will do the reshack for you.

All you need to do is:

* Download the latest http://www.autoitscript.com/fileman/users/jdeb/compileau3.exe to the compileau3 subdirectory.

* download and copy reshacker.exe into the compileau3 subdirectory.

Do Ctrl+F7 from within SciTe and you will get the option to update:

- Comment

- Description

- FileVersion

The compileau3 script does the following:

- copy the original AutoitSC.bin to AutoItSC.Bin.Org

- create temp.rc with the info entered in the menu.

- run rc.exe (included) to create temp.res

- run reshacker.exe to apply the changes of temp.res to AutoItSC.bin into AutoitSCt.bin

- copy AutoitSCt.bin to AutoItSC.bin

- Run aut2exe to compile your script with the correct resource info

- copy AutoItSC.Bin.Org back to AutoItSC.Bin

- clean up tempfiles

see this Post ..

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

JdeB at the bat again, he swings, he hits, it's out of the park! WHhhhhhooooo!

anyways, to be clear, this is the reshacker I found, same one you have?

http://www.users.on.net/johnson/resourcehacker/

Just as a work-around , I have updated the compileau3.exe script that will do the reshack for you. 

All you need to do is:

* Download the latest  http://www.autoitscript.com/fileman/users/jdeb/compileau3.exe to the compileau3 subdirectory.

Do Ctrl+F7 from within SciTe and you will get the option to update:

- Comment

- Description

- FileVersion

The compileau3 script does the following:

- copy the original AutoitSC.bin to AutoItSC.Bin.Org

- create temp.rc with the info entered in the menu.

- run rc.exe (included) to create temp.res

- run reshacker.exe to apply the changes of temp.res to AutoItSC.bin into AutoitSCt.bin

- copy AutoitSCt.bin to AutoItSC.bin

- Run aut2exe to compile your script with the correct resource info

- copy AutoItSC.Bin.Org back to AutoItSC.Bin

- clean up tempfiles

see this Post ..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"I'm not even supposed to be here today!" -Dante (Hicks)

• Developers

JdeB at the bat again, he swings, he hits, it's out of the park!  WHhhhhhooooo!

anyways, to be clear, this is the reshacker I found, same one you have?

http://www.users.on.net/johnson/resourcehacker/

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

correct, thats the one needed.

Didn't want to include it because its 800Kb+ and don't know if thats allowed.

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

correct, thats the one needed.

Didn't want to include it because its 800Kb+ and don't know if thats allowed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Groovy, works like a charm. You're da man.

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to be sure... I can change the Description the Version and Comments? I dont want any trouble. I just want to double check so I can be positive.

JS

AutoIt Links

File-String Hash Plugin Updated! 04-02-2008 Plugins have been discontinued. I just found out.

ComputerGetInfo UDF's Updated! 11-23-2006

External Links

Vortex Revolutions Engineer / Inventor (Web, Desktop, and Mobile Applications, Hardware Gizmos, Consulting, and more)

All you need to do is:

* Download the latest  http://www.autoitscript.com/fileman/users/jdeb/compileau3.exe to the compileau3 subdirectory.

Oh this is SOOOOO cool. I hated having to do the res hack every time I compiled a different script. This actually saves the INI in the script folder which stores the info.. ohhh tingly :)

Thank you so very much for this.

Mike

Edited by MikeOsdx

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to be the only one to bitch about such a great thing, but I don't need to use Resource Hacker when I compile my scripts... but the way you have changed the Scite distribution I HAVE TO have it in order to specify compile options inside the IDE. I think there should be a way to use some of the parameters in the CompileAU3 application (like only the old ones) without requiring the compiler have the Resource Hacker executable. If I remember correctly, the interface requires that you have the executable before setting any of those settings so would it be too difficult to just skip that part of the compile process if the executable isn't found? Or if you are going to require that it is there then maybe you should rethink adding 800 K to the distro so we dont have to have 2 pages of this thread dedicated to finding the thing anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I love using Scite and I really appriciate all of the time and effort put into what it is today, but this is one thing that really bothers me.

*** Matt @ MPCS

• Developers

I hate to be the only one to bitch about such a great thing, but I don't need to use Resource Hacker when I compile my scripts... but the way you have changed the Scite distribution I HAVE TO have it in order to specify compile options inside the IDE. I think there should be a way to use some of the parameters in the CompileAU3 application (like only the old ones) without requiring the compiler have the Resource Hacker executable. If I remember correctly, the interface requires that you have the executable before setting any of those settings so would it be too difficult to just skip that part of the compile process if the executable isn't found? Or if you are going to require that it is there then maybe you should rethink adding 800 K to the distro so we dont have to have 2 pages of this thread dedicated to finding the thing anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I love using Scite and I really appriciate all of the time and effort put into what it is today, but this is one thing that really bothers me.

*** Matt @ MPCS

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Which portion doesn't work other than updating the resource info ?

It should all work fine...

It just skips the resource update part....

Did you try ?????

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Which portion doesn't work other than updating the resource info ?

It should all work fine...

It just skips the resource update part....

Did you try ?????

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I ran it and it wasn't skipping the resource update. It just gave me an error a lot like lgodfreys (Virus on Message Boards?). I don't think there should be an error it should just ignore it all together if the developer didn't choose to change the resouce file. I'll deal with it if it is just me having the issue because I might just be retarded and not know how to use a simple dialog box, but if others have this problem too then maybe something should be done.

*** Matt @ MPCS

• Developers

Yeah I ran it and it wasn't skipping the resource update. It just gave me an error a lot like lgodfreys (Virus on Message Boards?). I don't think there should be an error it should just ignore it all together if the developer didn't choose to change the resouce file. I'll deal with it if it is just me having the issue because I might just be retarded and not know how to use a simple dialog box, but if others have this problem too then maybe something should be done.

*** Matt @ MPCS

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Matt,

It does work and you DON't need reshaker.

It is only giving a cosmetic issue being: it shows an error when you didn't ask for it... i agree... it shouldn't do that.

So in stead of writing a post like you did, you could ask if its possible to suppress that message in that case... the answer would be : yes ofcourse... and i will make the change for the next version.

Tnx for the feedback...

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Matt,

It does work and you DON't need reshaker.

It is only giving a cosmetic issue being: it shows an error when you didn't ask for it...  i agree... it shouldn't do that.

So in stead of writing a post like you did, you could ask if its possible to suppress that message in that case... the answer would be : yes ofcourse... and i will make the change for the next version.

Tnx for the feedback...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I apologize for the way I worded my post... I saw something that said ERROR and assumed that it was killing the process. You may not want to supress the message all together, I don't know if it is possible with Scite but if you can show a warning instead of an error this would probably be even better. That way you still tell the user the feature is available without giving them the impression that they screwed something up, or in the case of lgodfrey that the forum has given them a virus.

*** Matt @ MPCS

Alotta upset for a simple issue. Warning does not sound so crash hot either. If you get an error, you fix it. Perhaps Resource Hacker should be removed, just because of it's name :) .

Some of you must have really good antivirus programs if you have not handled a possible virus issue before?

• Developers

I apologize for the way I worded my post... I saw something that said ERROR and assumed that it was killing the process. You may not want to supress the message all together, I don't know if it is possible with Scite but if you can show a warning instead of an error this would probably be even better. That way you still tell the user the feature is available without giving them the impression that they screwed something up, or in the case of lgodfrey that the forum has given them a virus.

*** Matt @ MPCS

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Matt,

I really do appreciate when i get feedback from people asking for features or reporting issues... They are often valid and make sense.

You need to realize that its getting pretty impossible for me to test everything always for all scenarios when you consider the complexity of Tidy/Compileau3/SciteConfig etc.

Back to this particular issue:

I agree with the fact that if you have the error in the Setup window, it shouldn't display it anymore in the Console output. You know how these things go... first added the error/warning to the console... then added it to the window... forgot to remove it from the console.

Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Matt,

I really do appreciate when i get feedback from people asking for features or reporting issues... They are often valid and make sense.

You need to realize that its getting pretty impossible for me to test everything always for all scenarios when you consider the complexity of Tidy/Compileau3/SciteConfig etc.

Back to this particular issue:

I agree with the fact that if you have the error in the Setup window, it shouldn't display it anymore in the Console output. You know how these things go... first added the error/warning to the console... then added it to the window... forgot to remove it from the console.

Jos

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I completely understand, and I don't expect you to not make errors. To err is human. I was just pointing out that the commandline display isn't necisarily a bad idea just not in the form of an error. You also have a note at the top of the panel so I guess that will work as a feature warning also. It looks good though! Great Job!

*** Matt @ MPCS

• Developers

For those who want to get rid of the reshacker error in the Scite outputpane and don't want to wait for the next installer update:

Here's ver 0.22.6 of http://www.autoitscript.com/fileman/users/jdeb/compileau3.exe. It will now only display a warning in the output pane when you are trying to update the resource info en reshacker isn't available in the compileau3 directory:

>*** ResHacker.exe program is missing in the compileau3 directory: C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\SciTe\CompileAU3

>*** To be able to update the resource information you need to download reshacker.exe from:

>***    http://www.users.on.net/johnson/resourcehacker/

Enjoy,

Edited by JdeB

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

I'm having a problem, when I change the Legal/Copyright info in the dialog, it doesn't save to the ini for that script, it only sticks when I manually change it in the INI... That seems to be the only field that has the problem...

• Developers

I'm having a problem, when I change the Legal/Copyright info in the dialog, it doesn't save to the ini for that script, it only sticks when I manually change it in the INI...  That seems to be the only field that has the problem...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you have any compiler directive statements in your script ?

Reason for asking is that Compileau3.exe assumes that when a compiler directive is given in the source, it will not have to save anything to an INI file.

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.