noobie help please

hi guys, as you see i am new here, and yes ofcourse i did search and saw a lot of scripts that changed wallpapers.

but i want to do it on login or boot.

so i took a script like that, commented all the gui pieces out of it and tyhen i wanted to have a textfile with the filenames, which it can choose on startup.

and now the real question, how do i let my changer roulate throug the names so everytime there is a different wallpaper if i boot?

i hope some body could help me with this.

thanx in advance

damian666

and proud of it!!!

Radom() function ??

$1 = @MyDir & "\wallpaper1.jpg"
$2 = @MyDir & "\wallpaper2.jpg"
$3 = @MyDir & "\wallpaper3.jpg"
$4 = @MyDir & "\wallpaper4.jpg"

$randm = Random(1, 4, 1)
If $randm = 1 Then
       ; Set wallpaper $1
ElseIf $random = 2 Then
       ; Set wallpaper $2
ElseIf $random = 3 Then
       ; Set wallpaper $3
ElseIf $random = 3 Then
       ; Set wallpaper $4
EndIf

hi guys, as you see i am new here, and yes ofcourse i did search and saw a lot of scripts that changed wallpapers.

but i want to do it on login or boot.

so i took a script like that, commented all the gui pieces out of it and tyhen i wanted to have a textfile with the filenames, which it can choose on startup.

and now the real question, how do i let my changer roulate throug the names so everytime there is a different wallpaper if i boot?

#include <math.au3>
$aFilenames = ['file1','file2']
$iWallpaper = random(0, ubound($aFilenames), 1)
fileopen($aFilenames[$iWallpaper], 0)

First: welcome to AutoIt!

Second: well those two posts didn't exactly answer all your questions. What you could do is:

1) Compile the following code to an exe file (it is untested because I don't feel like rebooting several times, but should work provided I didn't forget something small). I commented it so you know what it is about.

$curNr = RegRead("HKLM\Software\bgchanger","currentbackground"); <- read current bg nr from registry

If RegRead("HKLM\Software\bgchanger","currentbackground") = "" Then; <- key didn't exist yet, create default 
    RegWrite("HKLM\Software\bgchanger","currentbackground","REG_DWORD",1)
    $curNr = 1
EndIf

Dim $dirInfo[1]; <- create array
$dirInfo = DirGetSize("c:\backgrounds",1); <- put extended dir info in $dirInfo
$maxNr = $dirInfo[1]; <- element 1 contains number of files in dir ( = max bg number)

FileCopy("c:\backgrounds\"&$curNr&".jpg","c:\windows\background.jpg",1); <- copy new background picture to same background name, flag 1 is to overwrite existing file

$curNr += 1
If $curNr > $maxNr Then $curNr = 1
RegWrite("HKLM\Software\bgchanger","currentbackground","REG_DWORD",$curNr); <- write new number to registry for use at next reboot

Exit

2) Create a file c:\windows\background.jpg, and set windows to use that file as the background.

3) Make a folder called c:\backgrounds, and put all your backgrounds in there named 1.jpg, 2.jpg, 3.jpg ..........

4) Place the .exe file in the registry in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. This will make it run at every boot.

5) Run the exe manually once.

After following reboots, the background should keep changing I guess. Ofcourse you could expand this in many ways, but this should cover your basics.

Again: note that my code is untested since I don't feel like rebooting. I think it should work though.

/edit: also, just adding another background jpg file in c:\backgrounds will automatically work including it in the scheme, provided you ONLY have files called <number>.jpg in c:\backgrounds and all numbers are subsequently numbered and start with 1.jpg.

Edited by SadBunny

Roses are FF0000, violets are 0000FF... All my base are belong to you.

well guys, it worked, many thanx espaccially you sad bunny!

here is the script, it works now i only have to perfect it!

#cs ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

AutoIt Version: 3.2.4.1
    Author:      Damian666

Script Function:
    change wallpaper on login

#ce ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

;unpack needed files
FileInstall("tools\i_view32.exe", "i_view32.exe", 1)

; <- read current bg nr from registry
$curNr = RegRead("HKLM\Software\bgchanger", "currentbackground")

; <- key didn't exist yet, create default
If RegRead("HKLM\Software\bgchanger", "currentbackground") = "" Then
    RegWrite("HKLM\Software\bgchanger", "currentbackground", "REG_DWORD", 1)
    $curNr = 1
EndIf

Dim $dirInfo[1]; <- create array
$dirInfo = DirGetSize(@ScriptDir & "\wallpaper", 1); <- put extended dir info in $dirInfo
$maxNr = $dirInfo[1]; <- element 1 contains number of files in dir ( = max bg number)

FileCopy(@ScriptDir & "\wallpaper\" & $curNr & ".*", @ScriptDir, 1); <- copy new background picture to workingdir, flag 1 is to overwrite existing file

$curNr += 1
If $curNr > $maxNr Then $curNr = 1
RegWrite("HKLM\Software\bgchanger", "currentbackground", "REG_DWORD", $curNr); <- write new number to registry for use at next reboot

;convert wallpaper to bmp
RunWait(@ScriptDir & "\i_view32.exe *.jpg /convert=wallpaper.bmp", @ScriptDir, @SW_HIDE)

FileDelete(@ScriptDir & "\*.jpg")

;write wallpaper style to register
RegWrite("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop", "WallpaperStyle", "REG_SZ", "2")
RegWrite("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop", "TileWallpaper", "REG_SZ", "0")
Sleep(250)

;apply wallpaper and refresh desktop
DllCall("User32.dll", "int", "SystemParametersInfo", "int", 20, "int", 0, "string", @ScriptDir & "\wallpaper.bmp", "int", 0x01)

FileDelete (@ScriptDir & "\i_view32.exe")

Exit

bye bbye damian666

and proud of it!!!

Glad to be of help.

Good luck perfecting it! Btw, your little script looks very readable right now... Keep using empty lines, indentation and comments, also in bigger scripts, and you should be fine :-)

Roses are FF0000, violets are 0000FF... All my base are belong to you.