Status Window

I'm still working on the same AS400 manipulation program I have been working on for the past few weeks and making great headway. I would like to make a sort of status window that floats on top and allows me to put information updates in it. I thought about using tooltip but didn't like the look TrayTip is to distracting so I settled on another GUI window and changing the label but am having a hard time figuring out how to set it to AllwaysOnTop.

I need something I can throw information on and will remain there as I send() other info to the AS400 window.

Also since I haven't got this to work at all yet really can anyone give me a better idea for a status window? All ideas an examples would be welcome and appreciated.

Thanks again everyone.

P.S.

How do I change the mouse pointer to an hourglass or pointer/hourglass?

AutoIt changed my life.

Thanks xcal I thought thats where the answer should be and attempted some of it but could'nt get it to work. Can anyone tell me why the code below dosent make the status window always on top?

#include <GUIConstants.au3>
GUICreate("Status Window",500,30,500,1) 
GUICtrlSetState("Status Window",$WS_EX_TOPMOST)
GUISetState ()
While 1
    $msg = GUIGetMsg()
    Select
        Case $msg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
        Exit
    EndSelect
WEnd

AutoIt changed my life.

Thanks xcal I thought thats where the answer should be and attempted some of it but could'nt get it to work. Can anyone tell me why the code below dosent make the status window always on top?

GUICtrlSetState("Status Window",$WS_EX_TOPMOST)
GUISetState ()
While 1
    $msg = GUIGetMsg()
    Select
        Exit
    EndSelect
WEnd
GuiCtrlSetState is used for Gui Controls (like buttons, labels, listviews etc). You are trying to manipulate a Gui window, for which you'll need the GuiSetState (or do it in the GuiCreate parameters).

Roses are FF0000, violets are 0000FF... All my base are belong to you.

GuiCtrlSetState is used for Gui Controls (like buttons, labels, listviews etc). You are trying to manipulate a Gui window, for which you'll need the GuiSetState (or do it in the GuiCreate parameters).

I changed the code to this...

GuiSetState("Status Window",$WS_EX_TOPMOST)
While 1
    $msg = GUIGetMsg()
    Select
        Exit
    EndSelect
WEndoÝ÷ Ø    Ý"·¥z-r·µëaxejÖ¥!¢»^Å©©ì(ºW[z÷«Ê¥¥û¥"{az¥¥ø¥yú+èzÔ­j×¢µÚ,z{lÁ¬+axn­jYpk+(Ú)6Ü¢é]!ø§u©ò¶§)ÆP«y«^.+S+¡×ÛazƦzØb®¶­sb6æ6ÇVFRfÇC´uT6öç7FçG2æS2fwC°¤uT7&VFRgV÷Cµ7FGW2væF÷rgV÷C²ÃSÃ3ÃSÃÂb33cµu5ôUõDõÔõ5B£·âwV6WE7FFRgV÷Cµ7FGW2væF÷rgV÷C²Âb33cµu5ôUõDõÔõ5B¥vÆR¢b33c¶×6rÒuTvWD×6r¢6VÆV7@¢66Rb33c¶×6rÒb33c´uTôUdTåEô4Äõ4P¢W@¢VæE6VÆV7@¥tVæ

Thanks for your help.

AutoIt changed my life.

• Moderators

WinSetOnTop(GUICreate("Status Window",500,30,500,1), '', 1)
GuiSetState()
While 1
    $msg = GUIGetMsg()
    Select
        Exit
    EndSelect
WEnd

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

This is still for my AS400 manipulation project at work my problem is when I change something in the GUI status window it doesn't update (see example below) how should I change the example below to allow my status GUI to update when I change something.

During my AS400 manipulation I want to be able to let the user know whats going on in the status window. In case you where wondering what the purpose of this was.

Thanks again!

WinSetOnTop(GUICreate("Status Window",500,30,500,1,$WS_POPUP), '', 1)
$StatusInfo = "Load"
GUICtrlCreateLabel ( $StatusInfo, 10, 10 ,-1)
GuiSetState()
HotKeySet("^a", "ChangeStatusMenu")
While 1
    $msg = GUIGetMsg()
    Select
        Exit
    EndSelect
WEnd

Func ChangeStatusMenu()
    $StatusInfo = "Reload"
EndFunc

AutoIt changed my life.

This is still for my AS400 manipulation project at work my problem is when I change something in the GUI status window it doesn't update (see example below) how should I change the example below to allow my status GUI to update when I change something.

During my AS400 manipulation I want to be able to let the user know whats going on in the status window. In case you where wondering what the purpose of this was.

Thanks again!

CODE: AutoIt#include <GUIConstants.au3>

WinSetOnTop(GUICreate("Status Window",500,30,500,1,$WS_POPUP), '', 1)

$StatusInfo = "Load"

GUICtrlCreateLabel ( $StatusInfo, 10, 10 ,-1)

GuiSetState()

HotKeySet("^a", "ChangeStatusMenu")

While 1

$msg = GUIGetMsg()

Select

Exit

EndSelect

WEnd

Func ChangeStatusMenu()

$StatusInfo = "Reload"

EndFunc

To change something in a guictrl, you need to refer to it's "handle". The variable only contains the "Load" or "Reload", but changing a variable will not mean anything unless you do something with it.

Try assigning the Label control to a variable, like:

$mylabel = GuiCtrlCreateLabel($StatusInfo, 10, 10 ,-1)

Then, change the ChangeStatusMenu() to:

AutoItFunc ChangeStatusMenu()
    $StatusInfo = "Reload"
    GuiCtrlSetData($myLabel,$StatusInfo); <- or just GuiCtrlSetData("Reload") and omit the line before if you don't need this information elsewhere
EndFunc

/edit: corrected setdata command :">

As a side note, it might be useful to know that the following would also work (only showing the changed lines):

ChangeStatusMenu("Reload")

Func ChangeStatusMenu($newStatus)
    $StatusInfo = $newStatus
    GuiCtrlSetData($myLabel,$newStatus)
EndFunc
Edited by SadBunny

• Moderators

To change something in a guictrl, you need to refer to it's "handle".

Your example shows you referring to it's control id, not it's handle :whistle: ...

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Your example shows you referring to it's control id, not it's handle ;) ...

Ofcourse :whistle:

Sorry, I get those mixed up sometimes when I talk about them. Using them is way easier than describing them, though! :lmao:

Thank you very much guys (or girls) Say Bunny your solution seems to work perfectly for want I wanted to do. I really appreciate it!

*Update* I've incorporated the Status Window into my program and its working out very well. Thanks again!

Edited by Skizmata

AutoIt changed my life.