Why no initial AutoIt Help capability?

Curiosity question for longer-time AutoIt users/developers:

Why is AutoIt Help unavailable in the SciTE editor until a file being created is saved with the ".au3" extension? It seems to me that the AutoIt Help function (F1 key or "Help|Help") ought to be available at all times, even for a blank "New" screen. I am curious about the reasoning behind this design decision. Thanks!

Harvey

SciTE can be used to display many types of file, C++, lua etc. I think until SciTE "knows" the current file is an AutoIt script AutoIt help should not be opened.

My Programs:AInstall - Create a standalone installer for your programUnit Converter - Converts Length, Area, Volume, Weight, Temperature and Pressure to different unitsBinary Clock - Hours, minutes and seconds have 10 columns each to display timeAutoIt Editor - Code Editor with Syntax Highlighting.Laserix Editor & Player - Create, Edit and Play Laserix LevelsLyric Syncer - Create and use Synchronised Lyrics.Connect 4 - 2 Player Connect 4 Game (Local or Online!, Formatted Chat!!)MD5, SHA-1, SHA-256, Tiger and Whirlpool Hash Finder - Dictionary and Brute Force FindCool Text Client - Create Rendered ImageMy UDF's:GUI Enhance - Enhance your GUIs visually.IDEA File Encryption - Encrypt and decrypt files easily! File Rename - Rename files easilyRC4 Text Encryption - Encrypt text using the RC4 AlgorithmPrime Number - Check if a number is primeString Remove - remove lots of strings at onceProgress Bar - made easySound UDF - Play, Pause, Resume, Seek and Stop.

Curiosity question for longer-time AutoIt users/developers:

Why is AutoIt Help unavailable in the SciTE editor until a file being created is saved with the ".au3" extension? It seems to me that the AutoIt Help function (F1 key or "Help|Help") ought to be available at all times, even for a blank "New" screen. I am curious about the reasoning behind this design decision. Thanks!

Oooops!

In looking at a list of my previous posts, I just discovered that I had already asked essentially the same question a year and a half ago. At that time, JdeB responded:

"Feature of SciTE.

All tools are related to a File Extension.. so all AUtoIt3 tools will only work when that file you edit is saved as whatever.au3.."

That makes me want to ask, if the editor is "AutoIt4SciTE", shouldn't SciTE be able to know automatically that these are AutoIt files? Thanks!

Harvey

This is the desired result.

Its called SciTE4AutoIt3.exe because SciTE is just a text editor with syntax highlighting, it requires file definitions to know what to highlight and auto-complete.

This is simply packaged together for lazy asses.

Said program provides this functionality for AutoIT and it can be further extended to suit various other file formats.

The SciTE webpage provides links to other various addons http://scintilla.sourceforge.net/SciTEExtras.html

When you buy a refrigerator do you ask why it came empty? Or do you extend it's functionality with 10 years worth of fast food condiments and skunky milk?

That makes me want to ask, if the editor is "AutoIt4SciTE", shouldn't SciTE be able to know automatically that these are AutoIt files? Thanks!

Harvey

If you use within the menu, File -> New, then the script highlighting is set to Au3 as set to default in the property files. Why the Au3 Tools are not loaded also as default is a good question. That maybe a bug that needs to be reported to the Scite developers at SourceForge's Scintilla forum.

:whistle: