Detecting certain keystrokes

Ok, I've done quite a bit of reading on KEYLOGGER threads around here and I completely understand not wanting to help someone develop one. I'll explain what I'm looking to do and you guys tell me if it's a keylogger (the malicious kind) to determine whether or not you'll help.

I own a game center that people can come in and play computer games on my systems. One of the games is World of Warcraft. I, up to about 1 1/2 months ago, had an active WOW account that I would use. To keep the customers playing games I would occasionally allow customers to create 1 character on my account. I WOULD NEVER GIVE OUT MY PASSWORD TO THE CUSTOMER, but instead I would log them into WOW myself, asking them to move out of the seat. My password into wow was approx 10 characters long, upper and lower case and included a number. I would be pretty quick typing it in as well as often misspelling characters on purpose to retype them.... Yesterday I received an email from blizzard telling me that my account was locked. LOL, I hadn't logged in for 1 1/2 months, this is bogus. After some phone calls to blizzard, I found out that someone last week had indeed re-activated my account and had put a Credit card on it (they wouldn't give me CC info or name on the CC). So I changed the password and will be logging in after the lock is removed to see what damage has been done.

I'm curious if it was one of my customers that figured out my password. I want to write a program that would run on every computer and monitor for my password being entered, if it is then I'll record current computer info like who was logged in, date/time, etc...

Ok, I'm not looking for information on recording other people's passwords, but instead matching up or searching for what they type to what my password is.

Thoughts???

Umm why would it even make sense to monitor for your password being entered?

A. You changed it

B. If someone had your password and knew that you changed it would they be trying it the same location? Unlikely.

We need a special topic under the Chat forum to hold all the creative "...really, it's NOT for a key logger!" stories.

:whistle:

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

I wish they would split off another forum sub-section for just the IE functions, they are getting out of hand.

You say that like it's a bad thing. :whistle:

IE Dev ToolbarMSDN: InternetExplorer ObjectMSDN: HTML/DHTML Reference Guide[quote]It is surprising what a man can do when he has to, and how little most men will do when they don't have to. - Walter Linn[/quote]--------------------[font="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Post a reproducer with less than 100 lines of code.[/font]

Ok, I've done quite a bit of reading on KEYLOGGER threads around here and I completely understand not wanting to help someone develop one. I'll explain what I'm looking to do and you guys tell me if it's a keylogger (the malicious kind) to determine whether or not you'll help.

I own a game center that people can come in and play computer games on my systems. One of the games is World of Warcraft. I, up to about 1 1/2 months ago, had an active WOW account that I would use. To keep the customers playing games I would occasionally allow customers to create 1 character on my account. I WOULD NEVER GIVE OUT MY PASSWORD TO THE CUSTOMER, but instead I would log them into WOW myself, asking them to move out of the seat. My password into wow was approx 10 characters long, upper and lower case and included a number. I would be pretty quick typing it in as well as often misspelling characters on purpose to retype them.... Yesterday I received an email from blizzard telling me that my account was locked. LOL, I hadn't logged in for 1 1/2 months, this is bogus. After some phone calls to blizzard, I found out that someone last week had indeed re-activated my account and had put a Credit card on it (they wouldn't give me CC info or name on the CC). So I changed the password and will be logging in after the lock is removed to see what damage has been done.

I'm curious if it was one of my customers that figured out my password. I want to write a program that would run on every computer and monitor for my password being entered, if it is then I'll record current computer info like who was logged in, date/time, etc...

Ok, I'm not looking for information on recording other people's passwords, but instead matching up or searching for what they type to what my password is.

Thoughts???

Why not just purchase one online since you own a game center, wouldn't cost you so much and you can moniter everything.

In away I can understand your need for this, like weaponx said, why would they login in the place to whom the account is owned too. I suppose, they used logic as any logins may be logged, so he isnt arrousing suspicion.

Read the helpfile through, by everything, I am not telling you what to look so, in a later date, I cannot be blamed.

Personally I think they might try it here in the store, I'm guessing since they can't login using the old one at one, they might try it again at my store sometime in the future. Once I record that MY PASSWORD was entered, I can find out who and take appropriate action.

Not to get into a big discussion about this, but to you guys that said "if he's got keylogger in the title, he must be asking for one.." did you actually read over my description and problem before you said "oh, it's just another post asking for a keylogger".. Personally I'm looking for a key compare'er.

So the vote is I'm looking for keylogger help?

Edited by ttleser

Once I record that MY PASSWORD was entered, I can find out who and take appropriate action.

Of course, it will coincidently record everyone else's password too, but where's the harm in that...

Sheesh! :whistle:

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

Of course, it will coincidently record everyone else's password too, but where's the harm in that...

Sheesh! :whistle:

Not if it's only looking for a specific word. You wouldn't capture all keystrokes I'm not saying it's right to put on a public forum though :lmao:

You wouldn't capture all keystrokes

Then how would you know what has been typed?

This guy is after a keylogger... funny part is, they are so easy to write. I have written several, just to see how easy, so hmmm... if you are not allowed to talk about it on the forum, and it's easy to do (just need the help file) THEN

SHUT THE FUCK UP AND MAKE YOUR OWN

LOL LOL LOL

I don't know why you let them create a character on your account. If you own a game center, can't you get a demo account? As a business, I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem...

However, what you are trying to make is by no means a keylogger. Making it record every keystroke and then compare to your pass would be a very "roundabout" way to do it. It would be much more effecient to just check for the keys in your password, and if they are pressed, in order, then you have done it. Don't record anything, just check as its typed.

Do
;xxx
Do
;xxx
Do
Until _Ispressed();chr 1
Until _Ispressed();chr 2
Until _Ispressed();chr 3

The only thing left to do is find some way to tell if any key besides a specific key is pressed and put that in place of the ;xxx comments

Edited by Paulie

oh, well hell, lets just give him a keylogger, and then remove the detection of the "a" and "b" keys.... IM SURE HE WILL NEVER FIGURE OUT how to make it into a FULL keylogger. If you gave him a script to detect just a couple keys, its still a keylogger... who said a keylogger must log EVERY keypress... not me.

A keylogger is a program/script that logs what keys are pressed.

Using your logic, we could make him a keylogger that writes to log.txt but on exit have it delete the log file (now its not a keylogger?). Don't you think he could modify it?

Come on ppl

oh, well hell, lets just give him a keylogger, and then remove the detection of the "a" and "b" keys.... IM SURE HE WILL NEVER FIGURE OUT how to make it into a FULL keylogger. If you gave him a script to detect just a couple keys, its still a keylogger... who said a keylogger must log EVERY keypress... not me.

A keylogger is a program/script that logs what keys are pressed.

Use YOUR logic.

There is a reason it is called a KEYLOGGER.

The script LOGS nothing. All it does is check if a few of them they are pressed in a specific order.

Using your logic, we could make him a keylogger that writes to log.txt but on exit have it delete the log file (now its not a keylogger?). Don't you think he could modify it?

This writes no log, This does not in any way log anything.

Using YOUR logic, there could be no code posted containing "Hotkeyset" or "_IsPressed" as ANY SCRIPT could be modified to be malicious.