OT?: SciTE help for opening many AU3s at once?

I've searched the SciTE wesite and their FAQs but haven't found the answer to this. Was hoping someone here knew because many people probably also use SciTE to edit AutoIt files esp. since it's so heavily recommended.

I'm finding that I have to open files one by one via the "Edit script" option in the context menu for AU3 files or AU3 links. Does anyone know how we can open a bunch of files at once, i.e., by selecting them then saying "Open" in the context menu and they all open, tabbed, in SciTE? This would be of enormous help.

I've been able to use a freeware tool called Simple Search-Replace v1.05 to change text globally for a block of scripts when the code to be changed is identical (i.e., like this morning incorporating the newly learned @ScriptDir into soundplay WAV file paths instead of absolute paths). That's great for something that can be done that is the same throughout several files. But for making specific, individual edits it would be helpful to be able to open a block of files at once in SciTE rather having to open one by one.

Does anyone know how to do this, pls?

If this is not appropriate group, pls advise. I'm hoping it will be okay to post here as it's a very relevant question to AI (IMHO, of course <g>), but pls advise if not.

Thanks! :whistle:

Edited by Diana (Cda)

• Developers

When you select multiple files in the Windows explorer and "right-mouse-click"-Edit they should all open in a tabbed SciTE window.

There is also a "find-in-files" option which will show all found text in the Outputpane where you can just double click on the found lines which will open that scriptfile on that particular line ...

:whistle:

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

When you select multiple files in the Windows explorer and "right-mouse-click"-Edit they should all open in a tabbed SciTE window.

There is also a "find-in-files" option which will show all found text in the Outputpane where you can just double click on the found lines which will open that scriptfile on that particular line ...

:whistle:

Ah, then I have a problem. When I choose "Edit script" on a single file, it opens in SciTE. When I select several, nothing happens.

If you don't mind, what is the code you have for AU3 files for the "Edit script" when using SciTE, pls? Mine says:

"(path)\SciTE.exe" "%1"

Appreciate the help re this. There might be switches that are getting written there when SciTE is installed so that it can open multiple scripts at once, etc. I believe mine is probably a standalone type of deal I may have done by just copying the file at some point and then associating it myself manually. Sometimes an installation will also write things in the DDE boxes, etc., that can affect how apps work. It would be interesting to see what comes under "Edit script" for SciTE. I'm afraid to install it as WinXP is so buggy re file assocations and 9/10 times it will change something while knocking something else out at the same time ;). I have _lots_ of experience of that happening <g>.

Re the second thing, this outpane and "find-in-files" option, I'm sorry I'm at sea re this. Is this a Windows thing or SciTE??

Thanks and cheers :lmao:

Edited by Diana (Cda)

• Developers

Ah, then I have a problem. When I choose "Edit script" on a single file, it opens in SciTE. When I select several, nothing happens.

If you don't mind, what is the code you have for AU3 files for the "Edit script" when using SciTE, pls? Mine says:

"(path)\SciTE.exe" "%1"

Appreciate the help re this. There might be switches that are getting written there when SciTE is installed so that it can open multiple scripts at once, etc. I believe mine is probably a standalone type of deal I may have done by just copying the file at some point and then associating it myself manually. Sometimes an installation will also write things in the DDE boxes, etc., that can affect how apps work. It would be interesting to see what comes under "Edit script" for SciTE. I'm afraid to install it as WinXP is so buggy re file assocations and 9/10 times it will change something while knocking something else out at the same time ;). I have _lots_ of experience of that happening <g>.

Re the second thing, this outpane and "find-in-files" option, I'm sorry I'm at sea re this. Is this a Windows thing or SciTE??

Thanks and cheers :whistle:

Normally when you run the SciTE4AutoIt3 installer you get the open "what to do for Open" and you select either Edit or Run.

I always use Edit and just double click a script when I want to edit it.

To open multiple script I just select more files and enter to Open them in SciTE.

The Installer should make all proper setting to correctly open the scripts with SciTE.

The search option is a standard setup in SciTE and can be found under Search/Find in files

:lmao:

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

...for the "Edit script" when using SciTE, pls? Mine says:

"(path)\SciTE.exe" "%1"

I have the same and I saw nothing special in the DDE settings.

Open SciTE

Select "Options" from the menu bar

Select "Open Global Options File"

Search for a line that starts with:

Buffers=

If that is set to 1, then you will only get one open file per SciTE window... no matter how many you send to it. If it is already set to something more than 1, then your problem lies elsewhere.

-MSP-

[size="1"][font="Arial"].[u].[/u][/font][/size]

I have the same and I saw nothing special in the DDE settings.

Open SciTE

Select "Options" from the menu bar

Select "Open Global Options File"

Search for a line that starts with:

Buffers=

If that is set to 1, then you will only get one open file per SciTE window... no matter how many you send to it. If it is already set to something more than 1, then your problem lies elsewhere.

-MSP-

Good Afternoon!

Thanks for the info. I looked for the Buffers line in the options and mine's set to Buffers=10. So as you said, the problem lies elsewhere.

I suspect that this doesn't work because I just copied the SciTE program's folder to my USB drive, etc. However, I did find an excellent workaround. If I open SciTE then select and drag and drop a number of AutoIt scripts into it, then they all open up as per normal as a bunch of files with their tabs in SciTE. Excellent that it allows that.

So, solution found after all without messing around with installing SciTE, etc., or editing the associations so I still remain completely portable yet can open a handful of files at once when I need to.

Thanks and cheers!

Good Afternoon!

Thanks for the info. I looked for the Buffers line in the options and mine's set to Buffers=10. So as you said, the problem lies elsewhere.

I suspect that this doesn't work because I just copied the SciTE program's folder to my USB drive, etc. However, I did find an excellent workaround. If I open SciTE then select and drag and drop a number of AutoIt scripts into it, then they all open up as per normal as a bunch of files with their tabs in SciTE. Excellent that it allows that.

So, solution found after all without messing around with installing SciTE, etc., or editing the associations so I still remain completely portable yet can open a handful of files at once when I need to.

Thanks and cheers!

I had the same issue with Scite and a few others. I just used _FileListToArray() and then passes each element of the array to Scite.exe

If Scite is your default Editor for au3 files then all you need in the loop is

For $I = 1 To Ubound($FileArray)-1

ShellExecuteWait($FileArray[$I],"","","Edit")

Next

Otherwise it's RunWait("<Path>\Scite.exe " & $FileArray[$I])

Edit: Syntax error

Edited by GEOSoft

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

I had the same issue with Scite and a few others. I just used _FileListToArray() and then passes each element of the array to Scite.exe

If Scite is your default Editor for au3 files then all you need in the loop is

For $I = 1 To Ubound($FileArray)-1

ShellExecuteWait($FileArray[$I],"","","Edit")

Next

Otherwise it's RunWait("<Path>\Scite.exe " & $FileArray[$I])

Edit: Syntax error

Thank you! I don't understand all of this but will start looking at what you mean. I'll learn something new, for sure, about this "array", you can count on that <g>. Sounds interesting.

Cheers. :)

Thank you! I don't understand all of this but will start looking at what you mean. I'll learn something new, for sure, about this "array", you can count on that <g>. Sounds interesting.

Cheers. :)

I should have mentioned that _FileList toArray() is in Files.au3

I have a backup CD with me and I'll have a look to see if I can find a piece of my actual working code that uses it with Scite. If I do I'll PM it to you.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"