regread

t0ddie

is it possible to make a list of all the things that start on boot?

i saw an example of regread in the helpfile.

but the command requires that you already know the name of the value.

just wondering... can you read the registry and make a list of all the keys that start on boot?

$var = RegRead("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run",

something something something

im stuck lol. can this even be done?

Valik Note Added 19 October 2006 - 08:38 AMAdded to warn level I just plain don't like you.

i found matt script in scripts and scraps that lists the programs that start at boot.

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5022

very nice.

i want to do exactly what that script does,(find all processes that start on bootup)

except i ALSO want to delete these from the registry when they are found.

EVERY ONE so that NO programs start on bootup

and i understand NORMALLY you would not want to do this on a computer where you dont know what the user wants or doesnt want. this is more or less just to help me learn. i am using it on my own computer

i dont know where or how to start modifying this script, or i would just do it myself! but i would like to be able to do this.

if anyone has any spare time, and wants to mess with it, that would be awesome!!!

message boxes in the script are unneccissary, and so is the .txt file. i want it to be silent and just do what i want without user intervention or notification.

Valik Note Added 19 October 2006 - 08:38 AMAdded to warn level I just plain don't like you.

woah, thats a nice one too

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.ph...tartup++manager

still though, like i said i would do it myself, its really a small task im sure. i just dont know how.

i want to just treat everything as if i dont want it. with no user intervention or notification. manager is nice though.

but anyways, if you have time i mean, and dont mind.

otherwise, thanks anyways

Edited by t0ddie

Did you go to the link I posted? This is not linked to my script, even though it easily could be manipulated to do what you are asking. A while back someone else wrote a GUI startup manager... again can be easily manipulated to do what you are talking about.

In the spirit of education I will let you manipulate those on your own, and I also have another suggestion. BACKUP your registry before you kill your computer completly and have a backup boot disk that can restore the registry from the backup files.

I will no longer help you code as I do not believe that you will return the help to those that may need it. If you want help... learn the language and show that you are actually interested in scripting and not just ripping off other peoples work.

*** Matt @ MPCS

ok, and i will no longer reply.. even though i AM interested in learning.

i hate to be ridiculed.

and i AM interested in helping with whatever i can.. i just dont know alot

and if you look, there is a link in both posts. one to yours, and one to another

not to friggin mention that i asked if anyone had time and wanted to do it.

if you dont have the time and/or dont want to do it, then thats fine.

im not STEALING anything.

i hate negative replies

now im upset

:END TRANSMISSION

I would strongly encourage the following (In any order or simultaneously):

• Get a strong working knowledge of AutoIt by automating simple things.
  • Get a good working knowledge of how Windows itself works.
From the posts you've made, you demonstrate a near complete lack of both. The things you are attempting to do are a danger to your own PC and any other PC you are testing on. Several of us are attempting to prevent you from hosing your computer, but you are refusing to listen. I strongly encourage you to listen to people who have experience and know what they are doing.

I'm finished trying to help you as well. You don't seem willing to listen to the things experienced users have to say. You can have your bullets back and feel free to use them to blow yourself away (Look emmanuel, I worked it in after all. :ph34r:). You are in so far over your head with your lack of knowledge that the odds of screwing your PC are very high.

This is not the way to learn.

That's all I have to say on the subject.

cool, but i respectfully disagree, and i am not ungrateful.

i am able to do simple things, and i was actually pretty good with version 2

it is agreeable that version 3 has more features.. and is slightly more complicated.. in SOME aspects. yes?

i find the fastest way for ME (personally) to learn, is to see some code that works.. and then change it to how i see fit.

i HAVE used code from this forum.. without changing a thing.. yes.

but i dont copy and paste everything and expect it to suit all my needs.

nor do i take code, or ask for it with the mindset that everyone is going to do my tasks for me and that im just a beggar

also, i am aware that just willy nilly messing with the registry is dangerous.

i would NEVER just "test" ANYTHING on someones computer.. except my own.

and your suggestion about backing up my computer... is a great idea. in fact.. i already have it backed up. i would only use code that im LEARNING with on my own computer. i already have had it backed up for a long time, and thats great advice.

i know this may be a strange way for you to comprehend what my methodology is, but the purpose of this response is not to complain, or gripe.

it is to inform you of my intentions.. and to re-evaluate your decision as to deciding what is best for my particular needs, as someone who wants to learn.

even when i ask how to do something.. i find that i cannot get a full grasp for what it does.. unless i see sample code.. not neccissarily a full script written out for me... but an example.

i am completely willing to mess up my own computer to learn. its all backed up.

i come here for the EXACT REASON you mentioned. you all have EXPERIENCE.

i feel like i have to defend myself. im not a bad guy here....

i could go on forever, but look. im not an idiot.. and you really can reply with any comment you want. but i find these negative comments (YES NEGATIVE) unneccissary.

christ. doesnt anybody take me for face value?

REGARDS

Todd

t0ddie I see where you are going with your post. I may have some extra time to give you some sample code. It is along a line I was going to develop next after I complete what I am doing now. So within a few months if you dont get it figured out I probably should have something (should be within a few weeks but I like giving plenty of time for other stuff :-P)

The forum sometimes seems a bit negative, but they only mean to help so I would just let it roll off of your back like water off of a duck's. That I have found is the best way for me.

Yes, an example code is what I like as well. The helpfile is full of good examples I usually take something from there and paste it here and ask for further help and advice. Also if you spend some time yourself everyone here seems more apt to help. Post some of your own code. Something. Show your progress. Show that you are listening. This is just my advice. I am not trying to be negative so please dont take it that way.

Thanks for posting in the forum. I have seen you reply to a couple of my entries in the past and you were informative. So keep your chin up and it will all turn out right in the end.

JS

AutoIt Links

File-String Hash Plugin Updated! 04-02-2008 Plugins have been discontinued. I just found out.

ComputerGetInfo UDF's Updated! 11-23-2006

External Links

Vortex Revolutions Engineer / Inventor (Web, Desktop, and Mobile Applications, Hardware Gizmos, Consulting, and more)

omg.. that was a breath of fresh air.

and i took that positively.

your right, i can and DO help whenever possible.

and maybe if i included some code of my own.. your right. it would look more like i was doing something. and less like i was leaching.

i do this sometimes, when i feel its neccissary. but the starting code was not my own.. and i posted where i got it. i just wanted to adjust it slighly, to fit my own personal needs.

although, mostly when i ask a question... i havent started anything really.. and if i am incorporating it into a script.. the other parts of the script have different functions and are not needed.. i dont want to post the entire script (if any) every time.

not to mention that i have many different scripts that im working on, and im not really on any deadline trying to complete any ONE script. this is just a hobby.

i dont want to come off as a lamer.. although i openly admit that i am a noob.

no hard feelings all around to anybody... just sometimes i get frustrated. we all do.

thanks for all the help... really it is appreciated.

i would however like to mention that me writing this is useless in this forum, as it does not help anything.. it is merely a reply. on that same note... ridiculing me serves the same useless purpose. if you cant/choose not to answer... then dont.

heh, if you dont have anything nice to say, dont say it at all.

now that we are clear on that matter... i look forward to future responses..

kudos to you JS

Yea... I understand about not posting the whole script. I rarely do that, unless I am possibly looking for another idea on how to go about the whole thing.

Getting started before asking a question on this forum is a must. (It seems) which is no biggie and I understand why. Especially the more I get into this.

Thanks for the approval/commendation. :ph34r:

Everyone enjoy!!,

JS

AutoIt Links

File-String Hash Plugin Updated! 04-02-2008 Plugins have been discontinued. I just found out.

ComputerGetInfo UDF's Updated! 11-23-2006

External Links

Vortex Revolutions Engineer / Inventor (Web, Desktop, and Mobile Applications, Hardware Gizmos, Consulting, and more)