My new program idea

OK, I have a lot of important and sensitive info on my laptop which I use for business. I know a software named lojack for laptops that charges a yearly subscription at $50.00 a year to monitor if it is stolen. I'm thinking of creating a program that could do the same...basically anytime the computer connects to the internet, the software silently sends info to my website database, preferably my email account...although I don't think that would work very well silently, IP address, where the IP address is originating from, and whatever else. I don't know where to start with this or even the initial direction to go in. Any help and feedback please.

Thanks.

Dude i just had that idea tonight aswell after watching dateline how to catch an ipod thief. I not sure if you could get the information to see where the ip originates from but you could definitely get the ip address. Do you want this program just for you or as a service. If you want it as a service I think there is a udf that opens the default email program.

HA! That's exactly where I got it from too. I don't know the significance of the/a service, but I do not want the default email to open up. Someone can easily see that and stop it, and then realize and all together stop getting on the internet. If the IP is all that can happen, then that will have to do, the police could sort out contacting the isp for the address of the IP address I guess. It just has to be silent. and basically activate every time the laptop connects to the internet.

Well, you could check if they are connected by doing something like pinging a website every couple seconds.

If there is a reply, then they are online, and the program can send something to you website.

and here is a method of gettin public IP adress.

#include <Inet.au3>
$PublicIP = _GetIP()
MsgBox(0, "IP Address", "Your IP Address is: " & $PublicIP)

How about creating a file that is hidden from the taskbar and task monitor.

You could write some code for it to rename itself every x days. (so they can't find it if word gets out to look for it) Rename procedure would be based on local file names.

then all you have left is the update of the computer info.

Heres what I would do

Create a sqlite db on a computer that is always on the internet.

set up how ever you want so secure it.

Write connection code for the lan access from the web

have the script attach to the lan, and update the db each time you connect.

your password will be locked in a compiled hidden autoit.exe

change the icon to something else when you compile. Something such as you might find in sys32

The possibilities are endless here.

you could capture any sites they visit, passwords, userids (could lead to finding them)

you could even query the database.

If your laptop is stolen, you change a field on the database using your host pc, which envokes an action to . . . the next time the laptop computer connects.

query would be something like, if field ... = X then ....

(open port X to stream audio) -then you can listen to them . . .

(Locate your stored information and delete it) . . .

Edited by Hatcheda

@champak

They don't need to set up the email, the email would be used to send the ip address to the real owners email. The ip might lead the owner to the location of his/her laptop.

@hatcheda yeh im not sure if it being worked on. But we would first need to have a list of what we want this to do.

I think that what @champak was saying is that,

most likely they will add their own account and it will be running, not yours, so there will not be a email client unless they add one. -unless of course they hash and break your password. (doubt they take the time)

an alternative, though not nearly as good as the db would be to use one of the txt programs on here and text yourself the ip on connection. They would never see the script run and you could do this without even using any passwords. (just clear out the info about inserting the numbers and such) you could start by just adding your number as the text number in script.

-downside, you get a text every day. -upside, you could make it a email text and it would save records to your phone website :)

Honestly, I think I could have this working by monday . . . I good programmer could do it in 30 to an hour! -I'm working to get there :P

looks like I start coding tonight! :)

I've done a little too much SQL lately, so text first it is! :P

Plans.

include text script,

a gui with setups

IP scripts

Remove from taskbar, task manager scripts . . .

hotkeys for the gui to show

Hide the script deap . . .

for now, boot hidden from all users startup. -more secure method to come!

Edited by Hatcheda

notepad? instead of sql? beause at this point, not only could I multi access for multiple machines, but I could as easily set up the db sql code :) -maybe easier

I could also write dormant code in the client. If the laptop is stolen I would have a gui for the host. I change one of many switches and it causes client code has is nomally falsed out to do what ever the next time it connects.

such as monitor for inactivity then delete the harddrive . . .if I felt I couldn't get the computer back.

log every connection as a new record instead of just updating the ip . . .

send web history . . .

yada yada yada

or did you mean notepad instead of the GUI for the text option? As far as saving personal settings-most likely just add a sql database for that info too since most people would not know one if they saw it. plus unlike a notepad, they couldn't just open it and read it. would just drop that in sys32 or such

Edited by Hatcheda

Foiled.. no offense on this one, but if i were a theif, i would be formatting the HDD of any machine before on-selling it.

As for your plan, setup your own email account and keep it active (check it daily) for just such an occasion.

I have always thought for something like this to be 100% effective, it would have to be a phsyical implantation into the machine, perhaps where the wifi card goes. That is capable of collecting GPS data to relay back via any active internet connection.

So, has this died down , . . . Are you guys doing anything with it?

No, I'm still interested. Sorry, I really wasn't expecting such a response. I was just looking for feedback and initial direction on something I wasn't planning on starting for about a month....too much on my plate right now....I'm not a 30min programmer.

you could investigate what Filesystem tropical linuxes use..

Windows knows FAT, FAT32, and NTFS, (and some more derivatives) but linux often simply has it's own filesystem.

you could leverage this technology to make a hidden partition that windows can't even see.. (so can't even format, you would have to FDISK or image at least). then you would need a windows program that understands this filesystem, and you're ready to go and close down the computer :)

put a strong password on bios, disable boot from CD, PXE, etc.. users would have to perform some funky tricks to still be able to sell this device :P