hide auto.exe/script while running

Hey Im working on a script to text an ip from a computer in case it's stolen. I will need to hide the script while running. Can anyone that cares to suggest whatever please provide input.

types of code still needed are:

I saw a way to hide autoit from the tray a couple weeks ago, anyone know where that is?

Hide from taskmanager. . . Windows service perhaps ?

I can give up on hide process, right?

also, I'm running vista and it knows that Im connected to the internet, not just a lan. Any way I can tap into that to avoid having to ping a site to check before sending the sms?

SMS/IP code is up and running.

Any positive input, please :)

Edited by Hatcheda

Generator, thanks for the first half of your reply. as for the second, before accusing someone of malware you might first review their past posts. A couple post back you might find this.

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=50578 -which would be the topic starter

one post back and you might find this.

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.ph...mp;#entry383311 -which would be the mentioned sms

What your purpose is the user can't close the script? You can make another script to moniter your script, vise-versa, so if one is closed other 1 runs the other.

That sounds a great deal simpler then hiding a process form task manager o.o.

tolle indicium

actually I'm going to hide the script as an exe deep in one of the files like sys32 with a weird icon. For now I am using text for fun, plus having a dynamic ip, its good to know when your out. (with out dyndns or the sort)

Total idea is to hide a exe deep in the system, call it from 'startup all users' or a windows service. It runs in the background and when connected to the internet sends an ip. It will in the future go to a database.

as for the code, it was both, task manager, and tray. Process would be nice, but I'm not banking on . . .

Search feature on the forums works.

Search " hide service " or something like that...

I wonder if I said "I can give up on hide procees, right" in my origional post because me know how to search and me found YOUR post that said give it up! :)

actually I'm going to hide the script as an exe deep in one of the files like sys32 with a weird icon. For now I am using text for fun, plus having a dynamic ip, its good to know when your out. (with out dyndns or the sort)

Total idea is to hide a exe deep in the system, call it from 'startup all users' or a windows service. It runs in the background and when connected to the internet sends an ip. It will in the future go to a database.

as for the code, it was both, task manager, and tray. Process would be nice, but I'm not banking on . . .

For the code, let's make an assumtion, you do not have a software that can kill 2 processes at once, therefore the thief cannot end the process, and i assumed you have the code for connect to IP or check to connect to internet, so if the thief connects to internet and get the software, he will be caught, though he can bring in any USB or anything. But my point is, hide from systemprocess using rookit is not for AutoIt, AutoIt isn't really a powerful language for these type of project.

I wonder if I said "I can give up on hide procees, right" in my origional post because me know how to search and me found YOUR post that said give it up! :)

Made absolutly no sense to me... Edited by BackStabbed

tolle indicium

Made absolutly no sense to me...

Backstabbed -I had already searched and found your recient post asking how to hide a process for a game. your best replies were a vb6 solution and a good luck from MVP. (meaning I know the search button well)

Look in my signature I have just the thing for watching your prosess

ChrisL -Thanks, that looks like some good stuff. but what I am trying to do is keep it hidden. If this were an app that I put on someone else's computer to monitor them, that would be one thing. I intend to put it on mine, meaning if its stolen and discovered, they will just delete the harddrive. It needs to be invisible so that they feel no risk using the computer as is. If they wipe the HD the app is gone, and so are the hopes of any successful IP contacts.

Thanks for the app, though, I will most likely still use it :)

ChrisL -Thanks, that looks like some good stuff. but what I am trying to do is keep it hidden. If this were an app that I put on someone else's computer to monitor them, that would be one thing. I intend to put it on mine, meaning if its stolen and discovered, they will just delete the harddrive. It needs to be invisible so that they feel no risk using the computer as is. If they wipe the HD the app is gone, and so are the hopes of any successful IP contacts.

Thanks for the app, though, I will most likely still use it :)

The best way I have found is

1 start the script by setting a registry key.

2 Name the program something like svchost.exe because there are usually several of these running at once on a system and it won't look suspicious.

3 have another process, say System32mem.exe, which looks like it's meant to be there and which starts up the other script if it's stopped.

I think your idea to track a stolen PC is doomed to failure, but if you want to test it, PM me with where you will leave you pc and I will 'borrow' it.

I had a laptop stolen from my car once. I stupidly hid it under some other things and left it while I went for a snack. According to eye witnesses, some guy just walked up to my car (in this busy car park) smashed the window, took out my PC as they watched him, ran back to his car abnd drove off. The police told me that these people just sit in the car park waiting for someone to do what I did. It is very unlikey that they will connect to the internet and certainly not before wiping everything.

My advice now is

1 Backup backUp Backup. This is the best security. My data is worth much more than any PC I'm likely to have. I wrote a script in Autoit which backs up all my data every day and saves it on other PCs and uploads everything to a web site. The web site is not even on the same continent so if I suffer a direct hit from a nucear bomb then my data is still ok.

2 Never leave a laptop anywhere.

Serial port communications UDF Includes functions for binary transmission and reception.printing UDF Useful for graphs, forms, labels, reports etc.Add User Call Tips to SciTE for functions in UDFs not included with AutoIt and for your own scripts.Functions with parameters in OnEvent mode and for Hot Keys One function replaces GuiSetOnEvent, GuiCtrlSetOnEvent and HotKeySet.UDF IsConnected2 for notification of status of connected state of many urls or IPs, without slowing the script.

Martin, that was a good and welcome reply. I have afew other ideas as to prevent clearing the app with a wipe, but gotta get the small stuff working first :) As for your data, please PM and tell me which continent so that I can 'borrow' it when you're blown up :P

Backstabbed -I had already searched and found your recient post asking how to hide a process for a game. your best replies were a vb6 solution and a good luck from MVP. (meaning I know the search button well)

I seemed to have found one... search harder please.

tolle indicium

you know what, if you have nothing positive to input, get off my post!

Edit: perhaps I'm wrong but if you had found anything, this would be updated. So either your just a nuisance, or a lazy poster. VB6 is not autoit and is already mentioned above.

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.ph...=50511&st=0 -mentioned above as the post you created that I searched before your smart comments.

Edited by Hatcheda

• Jos locked this topic