Fileinstall with complete paths creates bigger exe

• Developers

Moving this to Support since its a question not a bug report.

You will have to provide more information like how much its bigger before I can say that it sounds correct.

Are you also sure it picks up the same any.exe ?

:)

Edited by JdeB

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Indeed the same exe same path

Test.au3 is in c:\test

7za.exe is in c:\test

for example 7za.exe v4.32 which is 199168 bytes

when is use c:\test\7za.exe the exe created is 406575 bytes when is use it without the path the exe created is 407553 bytes.. done it several times .. when using more exe files which are embedded in the created exe the size increases much and much more ..

but if it's normal.. then it's no bug .. but i think it's strange embedding the same exe .. creates a different size executable afterwards

Thnx

Emiel

Edited by Emiel Wieldraaijer

Best regards,Emiel Wieldraaijer

• Developers

Indeed the same exe same path

Test.au3 is in c:\test

7za.exe is in c:\test

for example 7za.exe v4.32 which is 199168 bytes

when is use c:\test\7za.exe the exe created is 406575 bytes when is use it without the path the exe created is 407553 bytes.. done it several times .. when using more exe files which are embedded in the created exe the size increases much and much more ..

but if it's normal.. then it's no bug .. but i think it's strange embedding the same exe .. creates a different size executable afterwards

Thnx

Emiel

Agree it is strange that when using the same EXE and no change to compression settings or UPX usage ... need to do some testing to see if I see the same...

The only real difference is the lenght of the string in the FileInstall() statement ...

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• Developers

just created 2 test scripts in the AutoIt3 program dir :

FileInstall("autoit3.exe", @TempDir & "\Autoit3.exe")

FileInstall("C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\autoit3.exe", @TempDir & "\Autoit3.exe")

They both generated more or less the same size EXE ...

First: 492,888

Second: 492,915

Edited by JdeB

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Ok .. they are allmost the same in size..

but not the same and the same exe is embedded.. so it think it's a little bug ..

when i make a little program with different languages and several pictures embedded ..

i want to place the language/images and program files in a different folder.. i'll have more structure in my own folder listing .. when i do this my exe files increases from 1100kb to approx 1300kb i think it's a big difference..

the same files are embedded .. but the created executable are different in size.. so i think it's a bug ..

Thnx

Emiel

• Developers

but not the same and the same exe is embedded.. so it think it's a little bug ..

Why ?

The difference between the 2 files is 27 Bytes.

The difference in the Source lenght is 25 Bytes.

Added 4 more FileInstalls with different files in the same directory ... result:

Test1 594,795

Test2 594,664

Diff 131 Bytes

5 * 25 = 125 Bytes

Edited by JdeB

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

when i make a little program with different languages and several pictures embedded ..

i want to place the language/images and program files in a different folder.. i'll have more structure in my own folder listing .. when i do this my exe files increases from 1100kb to approx 1300kb i think it's a big difference..

the same files are embedded .. but the created executable are different in size.. so i think it's a bug ..

Thnx

Emiel

If the difference is just the length of the source file name string, that's not a bug at all, not even a little one.

But the difference you specified in post #4 is almost 1KB. Did you select no decompile (and/or use Obsfucate)? I'm thinking there might be some overhead to the encryption of the longer string that exaggerates the difference.

Edited by PsaltyDS
Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

@JdeB

Indeed if you look at it that way.. sourcecode increases also ..

@PsaltyDS

Indeed the file is changed with Obsfucate but the example isn't

Ok if you all say so .. adding the same files to the executable creates different sizes based on the path used .. is no bug .. then it's not .. but i think it's strange so i won't use paths anymore in my scripts..

thnx all for explaining it

Emiel