IDE for GUI: Any coders?

CyberSlug

Looks nice CS.

Picked up a bug on first control placement.

Resizing a inputbox.

line 675
local $right = $cp{0} + $cp[2];right = left + width
local $right = ^ERROR

Error: Variable used without being declared.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm working on a Style Selector for AutoBuilder.... (The interface was inspired by WinSpy++)

I've attached a prototype.... Would it be okay to omit many of the styles and support only a few (i.e. only support the styles documented in the help file appendix)?

Also, what would you like for display name and/or description of styles in the listbox? Is something like SS_WHITERECT sufficient?

StyleSelector.au3

Use Mozilla | Take a look at My Disorganized AutoIt stuff | Very very old: AutoBuilder 11 Jan 2005 prototype I need to update my sig!

I like it, but it seems a pain to unselect the styles after selecting them... How about having the styles mulit-selectable using shift and/or ctrl?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well you can change the $list declaration as follows:

$list = GuiCtrlCreateList("", 1, 10, 230, 400, 0x200800) ;$LBS_EXTENDEDSEL + $WS_VSCROLL

But if you forget to hold down Ctrl when you click, you'll lose your selected styles.... I recommend using the "Reset Style to Default" button....

Use Mozilla | Take a look at My Disorganized AutoIt stuff | Very very old: AutoBuilder 11 Jan 2005 prototype I need to update my sig!

CS, no matter how hard it is to code, I think that the styles should use their symbolic names in the generated scripts. AutoBuilder seems to be teaching people a bad habit of using only the BitOR'd style numbers when they post asking for help with styles. I don't know about the rest of you all, but those numbers don't mean anything to me. I doubt they mean anything to anybody else, either; and if they do mean something to somebody, you've way too much time on your hands to memorize some of them...

Edit: A comment isn't enough, either. Comments can be stripped easier than code. Here is a thought: See if you can find GuiConstants.au3 at run-time, if you can, insert an #include <GuiConstants.au3> into the generated script. If not, then write Global variables defining the styles that are used (I have no clue if you do anything like this currently, I don't use AutoBuilder or whatever its called now).

Edited by Valik

CS, no matter how hard it is to code, I think that the styles should use their symbolic names in the generated scripts.  AutoBuilder seems to be teaching people a bad habit of using only the BitOR'd style numbers when they post asking for help with styles.  I don't know about the rest of you all, but those numbers don't mean anything to me.

I agree--and part of my plan is to (soon) use symbolic styles. Thanks for the feedback!

• 2 weeks later...

Since I haven't posted to this thread in a while, http://www.autoitscript.com/fileman/users/public/CyberSlug/nov27proto.zip :)

It doesn't contain too many differences from the previous version:

- You can move a control with a single drag and drop. (Previously, you had to click the control to give it grippy focus before the drag and drop)

- You will see more GUI constants in the generated GUI script

- You can fully resize sliders in AutoBuilder (but generated GUI script will not reflect this yet)

- You can see some code libraries (wrapper functions) included in the download

Since I haven't posted to this thread in a while, http://www.autoitscript.com/fileman/users/public/CyberSlug/nov27proto.zip ;)

It doesn't contain too many differences from the previous version:

- You can move a control with a single drag and drop.  (Previously, you had to click the control to give it grippy focus before the drag and drop)

- You will see more GUI constants in the generated GUI script

- You can fully resize sliders in AutoBuilder (but generated GUI script will not reflect this yet)

- You can see some code libraries (wrapper functions) included in the download

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great,

just first remarks on the first run

after creating a group the radio's created inside are not moved i didn't check if they where part of the group

on the wrapper side did you check that the managing of the tabitem does not have a leak memory problem? I am almost sure that deleting a tabitem with a GuiSendMsg will break the logic of the gui functions.

Once again

Great :) Great :)

Yeah, frames (groups) are not complete. I've been playing with the idea of a selection rectangle "Selection Rectangle Proto.au3" in the download and hope to re-use the same code for groups and tabs.....

Some things I'm working on now:

- deciding what format to save the gui data in a file (probably tab-delimited text file)

- writing some combobox wrappers

- preventing tab controls from being covered up by the background pic.... I thought I figured everything out in "Multiple Tabs Proto.au3," but my ideas didn't quite work in "AutoBuilder Nov27.au3" when I tried

- writing a GUI to create menus / context menus

- deciding if I want to stick with a GuiGetMsg loop or use GUISetOnEvent in my code....

- checking if I can trap Shift+Click or Ctrl+Click reliably on Windows XP and 98 ...

deciding if I want to stick with a GuiGetMsg loop or use GUISetOnEvent in my code....

What about an option in the code output options to select either one? I personally prefer guioneventmode and insert my own functions.
Who else would I be?

What about an option in the code output options to select either one? I personally prefer guioneventmode and insert my own functions.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, I meant in MY OWN code. I might completly rewrite AutoBuilder to use EventMode instead of GuiGetMsg....

I plan on offering GuiGetMsg() and GuiGetMsg(1) and GuiSetOnEvent as choices for generated code.

• 3 weeks later...

There is a program called abcDB at http://www.pocketsoft.ca/ This program is for pocket PCs and I happen to use.

It has a GUI builder type/form designer program which really shows the direction that Autobuilder should take in my opinion. Its damn easy and fun to build database applications using that program. It is similar to autobuilder in some respects.

Link to manual- http://www.handango.com/servlet/d/abcfinal...6&secw=3364f3eb

Pages around 48 or so show something about what I'm referring to.

Property "On click" = Value... (Run program "X" for example)

Property "Key press" = Value...("Close" for example)

Note- Autobuilder, might be able to list varioius AutoIt fuctions in a dropdown list, just like it does for controls. In addition to the dropdown list, those that have functions memorized should also be able to just type what they want the AutoIT control to do.

Easy, simple, and direct... The control is linked to an function/event/executable and thus the GUI is able to DO useful things.

Of course AutoIt is something else entirely, but their concept of building the GUI/form can be helpful towards AutoIT's GUI issues and development.

That "simple" abcDB form designer does something that Autobuilder has of yet failed to do and that is provide the ability to easily link .exe etc... programs/fucntions to the buttons, tabs, etc... I believe the hardest thing about using the AutoIT GUI is this.

The new users are like, "Ok, I figured out how to build a GUI or use Autobuilder to do it, but now HOW do I get it to DO something?" They then are back into the script knocking their heads against the wall.

If Autobuilder provided options to link the controls (buttons, etc...) to executable files like .exe, .bat, etc... than I strongly believe that half of the whole problem of making and using AutoITs GUI will be beat. There will always be something else to add or whine about, but the ease of use and understanding provided by the Autobuilder method and linking controls to executables would be very hard to beat. The whole point is to DO MORE than make a pretty box, but to make a pretty box that DOES something.

CyberSlub and all the helpers, great program. Keep it coming.

Edited by autoitNOW
An ADVOCATE for AutoIT

This is do-able.... but it's going to be a while before I get to that point.

Getting the framework in place so that you can create and move all GUI controls (including groups, tabs, and menus) is my main goal.

This is do-able.... but it's going to be a while before I get to that point.

Getting the framework in place so that you can create and move all GUI controls (including groups, tabs, and menus) is my main goal.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks CyberSlug for considering this option. Once you have the time for it and are able to implement it than I think your already awesome Autobuilder will be even greater.
An ADVOCATE for AutoIT

Guest Guidosoft

AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AWSOMEE!!!!!

Man, boy, I was about to write an ide for it in VB. What a waste a time that would a been. Your doing an awsome job and I cannot wait untill the final finish.

• 4 weeks later...

Tiny updates (compatibility with latest AutoIt beta).

- GuiSendMsg reanamed to GuiCtrlSendMsg
- Did not re-declare variables that were CONST
- fixed missing quotation mark bug in generated script with GuiCtrlCreateIcon
- probably other stuff

http://www.autoitscript.com/fileman/users/public/CyberSlug/jan11autobuilder.zip

Sorry I don't have more done; I've been working on other projects.

Tiny updates (compatibility with latest AutoIt beta).

- GuiSendMsg reanamed to GuiCtrlSendMsg
- Did not re-declare variables that were CONST
- fixed missing quotation mark bug in generated script with GuiCtrlCreateIcon
- probably other stuff

http://www.autoitscript.com/fileman/users/public/CyberSlug/jan11autobuilder.zip

Sorry I don't have more done; I've been working on other projects.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey CyberSlug, is it possible to reopen a GUI with your IDE? It'd be great to be able to reopen a gui once you've saved it. Any chances of this being considered?

Cheers,

Angel