Win XP - change user directory?

This is probably a stoopid kweschun, and likely not even the best place to ask... but the folks on this forum have been so helpful and so knowledgable about Windows in general that I thought it might be worth while tossing it out here:

How (is it even possible?) to change the main user's name? I've got a situation where the Judge got a new secretary, and - of course - her name is different than the last one. I can change what shows up on the login screen, easy, but the directory under Documents & Settings still has the previous name. She logs in as Rita now instead of Sarah, but the files are still "c:\Documents and Settings\Sarah\whatever..."

I realize that there are a sh!tload of registry entries with "...\Sarah\..." and it would be a nightmare having to edit all of those... and it occurred to me that perhaps there was a handy AutoIt-able way to do it (or some other tool)... or maybe I'm just not seeing the forest in the middle of all these trees.

Anybody?

Nobody needs a job. Not much, anyway. Before you need a job, there's a lot of other stuff you need. More or less in order of how badly you need them: AIR, WATER, FOOD, SHELTER, CLOTHING, COMPANIONSHIP, and ACTIVITY. You've been led to believe you need money to "pay" someone else to provide those for you - all but AIR, so far. How long is it going to be before you have to "pay" for AIR, too?

You need to create a new profile by having her login with a new logon. Once you have done that, you can migrate the information from one profile to another by doing the following:

• right click on "My Computer"
  • Click "properties"
  • Click the Advanced tab
  • User Profiles - the setting button
  • Select the old profile from the list, and click "Copy To"
  • You will need to Browse to the root folder where the new profile is located.
  • Click, ok and it should copy the files.
It has been a while since I've had to do it, but it should work fine.

You need to create a new profile by having her login with a new logon. Once you have done that, you can migrate the information from one profile to another by doing the following:

• Click "properties"
  • Click the Advanced tab

Hey, thanks - I'll give it a spin. I've spent HOURS looking for this in google, in "Win XP Hacks" etc. I don't think any of them mentioned doing this... the only thing that worries me is what to do with the "old" user - I'm assuming it can't be deleted because of the reg keys... but as long as the docs and ither files go in the "right" place, it probably won't matter to anyone (I'm not sure whyu it REALLY matters now, but that's just me). I seem to recall Win98 had a util that could "move" reg entries (pretty sure I used it to move a bunch of stuff to a D: drive on some client systems), but I've not seen anything similar for XP.

Thanks again!

Nobody needs a job. Not much, anyway. Before you need a job, there's a lot of other stuff you need. More or less in order of how badly you need them: AIR, WATER, FOOD, SHELTER, CLOTHING, COMPANIONSHIP, and ACTIVITY. You've been led to believe you need money to "pay" someone else to provide those for you - all but AIR, so far. How long is it going to be before you have to "pay" for AIR, too?

• Click "properties"
  • Click the Advanced tab

No go. The "copy to" is grayed out. (And so is the "delete".) Wait... maybe that's because she's logged on to that one... let me go see if that's the problem.

LATER...

Nope, still no go. Had to not just switch users, not just logout, but reboot, and THEN the gray-out went away, but it won't allow a copy to the new user. I may be doing it wrong, but there's no way to select from the list of users, you have to enter a directory name and regardless of which of the (now) three new users (all admins) I browse to (\Doc & Set\UserName) it says

"Failed to set Security on the Destination Profile. Error: The directory name is invalid."

I'm googling...

Edited by longtex