FileRecycle(@HomeDrive & @HomePath & "\Recent\*.*"), etc.

I'm having difficulty with some syntax and I can't figure out why it seems to work sometimes and other times not. When code misfires in this way, my experience -- limited though it might be, granted -- has shown me that the code is not 100% correct. Perhaps someone here knows how to make it work?

In another thread, I recvd some help on using FileDelete() to empty folders. I found something better with that term in the help file, the FileRecycle() that I've put together with @HomeDrive and @HomePath. I think it's safer to use this than the Delete option. However, whether I use FileDelete or FileRecycle, they don't always work. Though I did add the DOS-like mask of "*.*" despite being told it might not be needed. It did seem to increase the incidents when the folders were actually emptied. (The extra EnvUpdate() and Slee() were just efforts to see if that would help. Not really, but I've left them in.)

Can anyone recommend what might make this work reliably and consistently? I'd like generic, reliable code along these lines so that I don't have to change the filepaths for each new contract. I've got a couple of new short-term jobs coming up so this will be a good thing to have when the kinks are ironed out. They've really locked up the computers now and CCleaner no longer works. With code such as thing, I need never worry about issues like that as this will be "portable" code once it works, if I can use that term.<g>:

FileRecycle(@HomeDrive & @HomePath & "\Recent\*.*")
EnvUpdate()
Sleep(100)
FileRecycle(@HomeDrive & @HomePath & "\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Recent\*.*")
Sleep(100)
FileRecycle(@HomeDrive & @HomePath & "\Cookies\*.*")
Sleep(100)
FileRecycle(@HomeDrive & @HomePath & "\Local Settings\History\*.*")
Sleep(100)
FileRecycle(@HomeDrive & @HomePath & "\Local Settings\Temp\*.*")
Sleep(100)
FileRecycle(@HomeDrive & @HomePath & "\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\*.*")
Sleep(100)

FileRecycle(@HomeDrive & @HomePath & "\APPS\Firefox Portable\Data\profile\cookies.txt")
Sleep(100)

FileRecycle("C:\Temp\*.*")
Sleep(100)
FileRecycle("C:\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\*.*")
Sleep(100)

Thanks in advance! :)

I'm not sure but ... what happens when the @HomePath is the root folder of the @HomeDrive? (e.g. when @HomeDrive&@HomePath returns "z:\" )

This line: FileRecycle(@HomeDrive & @HomePath & "\Recent\*.*") will become FileRecycle("z:\\Recent\*.*") and that doesn't look like a normal file path.

From the help file - FileRecycle:

Return Value

Success: Returns 1.

Failure: Returns 0 (typically meaning the file is in use or does not exist).

It might be a good idea to use these return values in your code (good for debugging) so you will be able to see why the code fails sometimes (wrong path?, opened file, non-existing file?)

an example on how to use them?

If FileRecycle(@HomeDrive & @HomePath & "\Recent\*.*")= 0 Then MsgBox(16, "FileRecycle ERROR", "File in use or non-existent file "&@HomeDrive & @HomePath & "\Recent\*.*" )
Edited by enaiman

SNMP_UDF ... for SNMPv1 and v2c so far, GetBulk and a new example script

wannabe "Unbeatable" Tic-Tac-Toe

Paper-Scissor-Rock ... try to beat it anyway :)

I'm not sure but ... what happens when the @HomePath is the root folder of the @HomeDrive? (e.g. when @HomeDrive&@HomePath returns "z:\" )

This line: FileRecycle(@HomeDrive & @HomePath & "\Recent\*.*") will become FileRecycle("z:\\Recent\*.*") and that doesn't look like a normal file path.

From the help file - FileRecycle:

It might be a good idea to use these return values in your code (good for debugging) so you will be able to see why the code fails sometimes (wrong path?, opened file, non-existing file?)

an example on how to use them?

If FileRecycle(@HomeDrive & @HomePath & "\Recent\*.*")= 0 Then MsgBox(16, "FileRecycle ERROR", "File in use or non-existent file "&@HomeDrive & @HomePath & "\Recent\*.*" )
Re 1st item, I'm sorry, but I don't understand the question. I'm not very good at scripting, so this probably relates to something I've never seen before so that's why I don't know what you mean. Sorry ... :P

Re 2nd, nothing was returned (?). The icon peeks in and then out of the systray, but that's the extent of the activity. No message pops up. I don't know what to do now ... Any ideas?

Thanks. :)

Re 1st item, I'm sorry, but I don't understand the question. I'm not very good at scripting, so this probably relates to something I've never seen before so that's why I don't know what you mean. Sorry ...

hmmm ... some of the users might have let's say drive z: as their home drive and the home path to be another folder of this drive \personal then the full home path would be z:\personal ... but ... it is possible that they have the root folder as their home path so the full home path will look like z:\

While the first example (z:\personal) will work with your script, the second one (z:\) will generate an error (path not found=file not found ..)

Re 2nd, nothing was returned (?). The icon peeks in and then out of the systray, but that's the extent of the activity. No message pops up. I don't know what to do now ... Any ideas?

Add
Opt("TrayIconDebug", 1)
on top of your script - this way you will be able to see what your script is doing just by placing the mouse pointer over the tray icon.

SNMP_UDF ... for SNMPv1 and v2c so far, GetBulk and a new example script

wannabe "Unbeatable" Tic-Tac-Toe

Paper-Scissor-Rock ... try to beat it anyway :)

There has got to be an easier way of doing this without getting into a long, extremely complicated script, no? I just happened to be looking at some other sw and an example of relative paths for that app used "%" to accommodate different users, where

C:\Documents and Settings\%

could be anyone, i.e.:

C:\Documents and Settings\SmithD

C:\Documents and Settings\CJones

etc.

So I thought I'd try that, though I had no luck and it didn't work either.

Opt("TrayIconDebug", 1)    ; (debugging) watch what script is doing by hovering mouse over tray icon!

FileRecycle("C:\Documents and Settings\%\Recent\*.*")
EnvUpdate()
FileRecycle("C:\Documents and Settings\%\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Recent\*.*")
EnvUpdate()

FileRecycle("C:\Documents and Settings\%\Cookies\*.*")
EnvUpdate()
FileRecycle("C:\Documents and Settings\%\Local Settings\History\*.*")
EnvUpdate()
FileRecycle("C:\Documents and Settings\%\Local Settings\Temp\*.*")
EnvUpdate()
FileRecycle("C:\Documents and Settings\%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\*.*")
EnvUpdate()

FileRecycle("C:\Documents and Settings\%\APPS\Firefox Portable v2.0.0.3\Data\profile\cookies.txt")
EnvUpdate()

EnvUpdate()
EnvUpdate()
The "EnvUpdate", if I've got it correctly, would refresh the folders, that's why I put it in. However, I might not have that right.

Anyway, as I said, this didn't work. And hovering over the tray icon shows that it seems to get stuck on any given line in the script even when I giggle mouse around and the script doesn't seem to do anything while at same time not telling me very much with this show debug mode in the tray icon. I'm at a loss ...

Anything else I can try? I know that this would be a very popular script all 'round so it's definitely worth finding an easy solution such as this. There are many empty temp folders/recycle bin/clipboard solutions out there, but nothing is easy except bat files (and that's relative) and nothing works with relative paths.

Thanks. :)

There has got to be an easier way of doing this without getting into a long, extremely complicated script, no? I just happened to be looking at some other sw and an example of relative paths for that app used "%" to accommodate different users, where

C:\Documents and Settings\%

could be anyone, i.e.:

C:\Documents and Settings\SmithD

C:\Documents and Settings\CJones

etc.

So I thought I'd try that, though I had no luck and it didn't work either.

Opt("TrayIconDebug", 1)    ; (debugging) watch what script is doing by hovering mouse over tray icon!

EnvUpdate()
FileRecycle("C:\Documents and Settings\%\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Recent\*.*")
EnvUpdate()

EnvUpdate()
EnvUpdate()
EnvUpdate()
FileRecycle("C:\Documents and Settings\%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\*.*")
EnvUpdate()

FileRecycle("C:\Documents and Settings\%\APPS\Firefox Portable v2.0.0.3\Data\profile\cookies.txt")
EnvUpdate()

EnvUpdate()
EnvUpdate()oÝ÷ Ù8^ªê-{Ô¥Ö­z«¨¶'ÈßÛÞbµÊ+­ç-,(ºWkyúÞ²ayú%uê춭ßÛ0")ºØ­qèÁëÞ¬¢g¢ØZ½ëajÚâ@,É«±¨¶¬v'gßÛp¢¹Øh½êâ
/z»azÚÚÊ'(ÈhÂËajØ­±ç¦²Ú zÛ-¹É(©ò+ÞX§z)íë®*mz÷§Â§" W¦¢ëjº.Ö§vØ^±Êâ¦×hzÉ÷öÛzkhv§ÊØb!W¶Æ¦zئzz-µéex&z÷«Êk­Øb²ÈhÁ׺ ¨u觶­­¬¢rÈßÙµ©h²À'ÊØb¥±âj{'£ajÛaÌ(ºW[y«Þ¯*h¦éZ®Ç+Z]ý®§vÊ"·luçâ+^,(®Ø_wb§y«2²n¶*'²ç!jËaÄáz·­é'¦¦Ü­zj_¢W^®ÏëyÌæâ÷%èj·l¢[­ì¢ëmêÞnëg¢Øb¬y«2{¦ÖÚµø¥zƧvØZ·l­éZ¶+Þjwg¢Øb(®K0ØkzV­÷©jØlN§Ïêº^n­²¶§X¤zØb±«­¢+ÙUÍÉAɽ¥±¥ÈµÀìÌäìÀäÈíI¹ÐÌäì)ÁÁѥȵÀìÌäìÀäÈí5¥É½Í½ÐÀäÈí=¥ÀäÈíI¹ÐÌäì

I wrote this years ago. Maybe it will be of some help to you:

echo off
cls
title PC Cleanup Utility by The Kandie Man
echo Not responsible for any damages caused by using this program.  This program will delete temporary internet files and files in your temporary folder that are not in use.  Click X to close.
pause
del /s /q %temp%\*.*
del /s /q %homedrive%\DOCUME~1\%username%\LOCALS~1\Tempor~1\Content.IE5\*.*
start %SystemRoot%\system32\cleanmgr.exe
cls
Title Deletion Completed
color c
echo Deletion of your Temporary files is completed.
echo This program has started clean manager utility. It will scan your hard drive for files that it can delete.  Please wait, when finished review the files.  Also, click the "More Options" tab and click the "Clean up" button under where it says,"System Restore".  By following these intructions you will maximize the amount of free disk space you will gain.
pause

With a batch script, this will recursively delete everything in your Recent folder:

del /s /q %homedrive%\DOCUME~1\%username%\Recent\*.*

- The Kandie Man ;-)

Edited by The Kandie Man

"So man has sown the wind and reaped the world. Perhaps in the next few hours there will no remembrance of the past and no hope for the future that might have been." & _"All the works of man will be consumed in the great fire after which he was created." & _"And if there is a future for man, insensitive as he is, proud and defiant in his pursuit of power, let him resolve to live it lovingly, for he knows well how to do so." & _"Then he may say once more, 'Truly the light is sweet, and what a pleasant thing it is for the eyes to see the sun.'" - The Day the Earth Caught Fire

I wrote this years ago. Maybe it will be of some help to you:

echo off
cls
title PC Cleanup Utility by The Kandie Man
echo Not responsible for any damages caused by using this program.  This program will delete temporary internet files and files in your temporary folder that are not in use.  Click X to close.
pause
del /s /q %temp%\*.*
del /s /q %homedrive%\DOCUME~1\%username%\LOCALS~1\Tempor~1\Content.IE5\*.*
start %SystemRoot%\system32\cleanmgr.exe
cls
Title Deletion Completed
color c
echo Deletion of your Temporary files is completed.
echo This program has started clean manager utility. It will scan your hard drive for files that it can delete.  Please wait, when finished review the files.  Also, click the "More Options" tab and click the "Clean up" button under where it says,"System Restore".  By following these intructions you will maximize the amount of free disk space you will gain.
pause

With a batch script, this will recursively delete everything in your Recent folder:

del /s /q %homedrive%\DOCUME~1\%username%\Recent\*.*

- The Kandie Man ;-)

Thanks, Kandie Man! Much appreciated. I do already have an excellent batch file that I used for years. The trouble is that I'd prefer something in AI and that batch really only worked in Win98SE before all this profiling business. I may find AI challenging, but I've never been at all good at batch as it's even harder to figure out how to modify. AI has this great support forum and one is also working in a typical Windows environment rather than DOS.

I'm just going to give it a rest for a day or two. This one has been rather frustrating. Perhaps some other approach will occur to me and that will trigger a solution in AI for somebody reading this thread. I was hoping that it would be something as easy as putting in % as a "relative term" or whatever it's actually called so that it works no matter where I am or what they assign to me as my profile name, which tends to be very different from contract to contract. But we'll just have to see ...

I'm hoping someone knows an easier path along the lines of what I was trying to achieve; the difficulty will lie in being lucky enough to have that person read this thread <g>. Thanks, though, much appreciated. An easy solution lies somewhere ...

Cheers. :)

I was bored and felt like coding so I wrote this:

#include <File.au3>

FileRecycleWildCards(@ScriptDir & "\FileRecycle\*.*")

Func FileRecycleWildCards($s_Path)
    ;Written by The Kandie Man.  This function may or may not work correctly.  Use at your own risk.  Minimal testing done.
    Local $h_SearchHwnd, $s_FileName
    Local $szDrive, $szDir, $szFName, $szExt
    _PathSplit ( $s_Path, $szDrive, $szDir,  $szFName, $szExt )
    $h_SearchHwnd = FileFindFirstFile($s_Path)
    If $h_SearchHwnd = -1 Then
        Return -1
    EndIf
    While 1
        $s_FileName = FileFindNextFile($h_SearchHwnd) 
        If @error Then ExitLoop
        If FileRecycle($szDrive & $szDir & $s_FileName) = 0 Then
            Msgbox(16,"Error",'The following file or folder "' & $szDrive & $szDir & $s_FileName & '" could not be deleted.')
        EndIf
    WEnd
    FileClose($h_SearchHwnd)
    Return 1
EndFuncoÝ÷ Øw«z+ìmzw^v÷«²*'jëh×6#include <File.au3>

FileRecycleWildCardsEx(@ScriptDir & "\FileRecycle\*.*","HRA")

Func FileRecycleWildCardsEx($s_Path, $s_FileAttributes, $s_AttributeMatchingLogic = "And")
;Written by The Kandie Man.  This function may or may not work correctly.  Use at your own risk.  Minimal testing done.
#cs
$s_FileAttributes must contain a combination of these letters "RASHNDOCT":
"R" = READONLY
"A" = ARCHIVE
"S" = SYSTEM
"H" = HIDDEN
"N" = NORMAL
"D" = DIRECTORY
"O" = OFFLINE
"C" = COMPRESSED (NTFS compression, not ZIP compression)
"T" = TEMPORARY

$s_AttributeMatchingLogic must be a string equal to "And" or "Or".  This is the matching logic for what do delete.
If "Or" is specified then a file that has at least one of the file attributes will be recycled.
If "And" is specified then a file must have all of the specified file attributes in order to be recycled.

This function is NOT recursive, however, it will delete folders and all subdirectories of those folders in its current directory.
#ce
    If $s_AttributeMatchingLogic <> "And" And $s_AttributeMatchingLogic <> "Or" Then Return -2;Incorrect last parameter.  Return negative integer indicating failure.
    Local $h_SearchHwnd, $s_FileName
    Local $as_FileAttributes = StringSplit($s_FileAttributes ,"")
    Local $szDrive, $szDir, $szFName, $szExt
    Local $s_Attributes, $i_Count, $i_Count2 = 0
    _PathSplit ( $s_Path, $szDrive, $szDir,  $szFName, $szExt )
    $h_SearchHwnd = FileFindFirstFile($s_Path)
    If $h_SearchHwnd = -1 Then
        Return -1
    EndIf
    While 1
        $s_FileName = FileFindNextFile($h_SearchHwnd) 
        If @error Then ExitLoop
        $s_Attributes = FileGetAttrib($szDrive & $szDir & $s_FileName)
;~         ConsoleWrite($szDrive & $szDir & $s_FileName & " attributes = " & $s_Attributes & @LF);Uncomment this to get attributes of the files.  Used for testing.
        $i_Count2 = 0
        If $s_AttributeMatchingLogic = "And" Then
            For $i_Count = 1 To Ubound($as_FileAttributes)-1
                If StringInStr($s_Attributes,$as_FileAttributes[$i_Count]) Then $i_Count2 += 1
            Next
            If $i_Count2 = Ubound($as_FileAttributes)-1 Then
                        Msgbox(16,"Error",'The following file or folder "' & $szDrive & $szDir & $s_FileName & '" could not be deleted.')
                EndIf
            EndIf
        Else
            For $i_Count = 1 To Ubound($as_FileAttributes)-1
                If StringInStr($s_Attributes,$as_FileAttributes[$i_Count]) Then
                    EndIf
                EndIf
            Next
        EndIf
    WEnd
    FileClose($h_SearchHwnd)
    Return 1
EndFunc

I did minimal testing on these functions, so I wouldn't just jump out and start wildcarding important system directories with them or you may get :). Of course, if anything bad happens, please go to your recycle bin immidiately and then restore the files that were just deleted. Right click the white background(of the recycle bin) and click Arrange Icons By -> Date Deleted because this will really help you find the files that were just deleted.

DO NOT EMPTY YOUR RECYCLE BIN BEFORE CHECKING WHAT IS IN IT!

I just wanted to make sure that was clear. Like I said, I did minimal testing with these functions, worked out some bugs, but they appear to be working for me. Please let me know if there are any bugs and I will fix them ASAP. Feel free to fix them and post your fixes as well.

I also want to note that these functions are NOT recursive, however, they will delete folders and all subdirectories of those folders in its current directory.

Hope this helps.

- The Kandie Man ;-)

"So man has sown the wind and reaped the world. Perhaps in the next few hours there will no remembrance of the past and no hope for the future that might have been." & _"All the works of man will be consumed in the great fire after which he was created." & _"And if there is a future for man, insensitive as he is, proud and defiant in his pursuit of power, let him resolve to live it lovingly, for he knows well how to do so." & _"Then he may say once more, 'Truly the light is sweet, and what a pleasant thing it is for the eyes to see the sun.'" - The Day the Earth Caught Fire

Hi, sorry for delay in getting back to this thread. I just moved house, so it's been a wild time <g>.

Pls, what is the above script supposed to do? I don't see the temporary folders listed, such as something similar to what I posted initially:

FileRecycle("C:\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\*.*")oÝ÷ Ù8^/z+0«p¢é]mèy©mʨ~ØbhÂäÂ+anëb·l¥êáj-ç(®·¶Ì§µ¬m«wöÇ¥¹Ø§g~)Ú«yÚ.0¶¬zØ^r^jëh×6If FileRecycle(@HomeDrive & @HomePath & "\Recent\*.*")= 0 Then MsgBox(16, "FileRecycle ERROR", "File in use or non-existent file "&@HomeDrive & @HomePath & "\Recent\*.*" )
and put each folder I wanted to empty in similar syntax. I got numerous errors. So, back to the drawing board <g>.

Hi,

Why do you use @HomeDrive & @HomePath? the @UserProfileDir is mutch correct way for this case...

Just recycle the files using this macros:

FileRecycle(@UserProfileDir & "\Recent\*.*")
FileRecycle(@AppDataDir & "\Microsoft\Office\Recent\*.*")
FileRecycle(@UserProfileDir & "\Cookies\*.*")
FileRecycle(@UserProfileDir & "\Local Settings\History\*.*")
FileRecycle(@UserProfileDir & "\Local Settings\Temp\*.*")
FileRecycle(@UserProfileDir & "\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\*.*")
FileRecycle(@UserProfileDir & "\APPS\Firefox Portable\Data\profile\cookies.txt")
FileRecycle(@HomeDrive & "\Temp\*.*")
FileRecycle(@HomeDrive & "\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\*.*")

EnvUpdate()

Spoiler

Using OS: Win 7 Professional, Using AutoIt Ver(s): 3.3.6.1 / 3.3.8.1

AutoIt_Rus_Community.png AutoIt Russian Community

My Work...

Spoiler

AutoIt_Icon_small.pngProjects: ATT - Application Translate Tool {new}| BlockIt - Block files & folders {new}| SIP - Selected Image Preview {new}| SISCABMAN - SciTE Abbreviations Manager {new}| AutoIt Path Switcher | AutoIt Menu for Opera! | YouTube Download Center! | Desktop Icons Restorator | Math Tasks | KeyBoard & Mouse Cleaner | CaptureIt - Capture Images Utility | CheckFileSize Program

AutoIt_Icon_small.pngUDFs: OnAutoItErrorRegister - Handle AutoIt critical errors {new}| AutoIt Syntax Highlight {new}| Opera Library! | Winamp Library | GetFolderToMenu | Custom_InputBox()! | _FileRun UDF | _CheckInput() UDF | _GUIInputSetOnlyNumbers() UDF | _FileGetValidName() UDF | _GUICtrlCreateRadioCBox UDF | _GuiCreateGrid() | _PathSplitByRegExp() | _GUICtrlListView_MoveItems - UDF | GUICtrlSetOnHover_UDF! | _ControlTab UDF! | _MouseSetOnEvent() UDF! | _ProcessListEx - UDF | GUICtrl_SetResizing - UDF! | Mod. for _IniString UDFs | _StringStripChars UDF | _ColorIsDarkShade UDF | _ColorConvertValue UDF | _GUICtrlTab_CoverBackground | CUI_App_UDF | _IncludeScripts UDF | _AutoIt3ExecuteCode | _DragList UDF | Mod. for _ListView_Progress | _ListView_SysLink | _GenerateRandomNumbers | _BlockInputEx | _IsPressedEx | OnAutoItExit Handler | _GUICtrlCreateTFLabel UDF | WinControlSetEvent UDF | Mod. for _DirGetSizeEx UDF

AutoIt_Icon_small.pngExamples: 
ScreenSaver Demo - Matrix included | Gui Drag Without pause the script | _WinAttach()! | Turn Off/On Monitor | ComboBox Handler Example | Mod. for "Thinking Box" | Cool "About" Box | TasksBar Imitation Demo

Like the Projects/UDFs/Examples? Please rate the topic (up-right corner of the post header: Rating AutoIt_Rating.gif)

* === My topics === *

==================================================
My_Userbar.gif
==================================================

AutoIt is simple, subtle, elegant. © AutoIt Team

Hi,

Why do you use @HomeDrive & @HomePath? the @UserProfileDir is mutch correct way for this case...

<g> Because I and everyone else who responded didn't know any better?? :)

Thank you! I've incorporated this into my script and it seems to be doing the job. I'll be testing it on different computers.

Thanks much! Really appreciate it. ;)