File Association

I would like to create a file association for my own file type. Then, I want my own file type to convert itself to an .exe as soon as it's run.

So, basically I want to know how to make a file association do the exact same thing a .exe does. Preferably using AutoIt to make it if that's possible.

I'm doing this so that I'll be able to send programs to friends without changing the extension (gmail/hotmail/msn messenger won't let you send .exe's), because none of my friends know how to change an extension...

If someone has found a different way to get around this I would be happy to hear it!

Thanks

Edited by Piano_Man
My Programs[list][*]Knight Media Player[*]Multiple Desktops[*]Daily Comics[*]Journal[/list]

I would like to create a file association for my own file type. Then, I want my own file type to convert itself to an .exe as soon as it's run.

So, basically I want to know how to make a file association do the exact same thing a .exe does. Preferably using AutoIt to make it if that's possible.

I'm doing this so that I'll be able to send programs to friends without changing the extension (gmail/hotmail/msn messenger won't let you send .exe's), because none of my friends know how to change an extension...

If someone has found a different way to get around this I would be happy to hear it!

Thanks

I thought you made a file extension changer long time ago, why don't you let them use it.

Have you tried a "zip" file??

8)

At least gmail searches the zip file and if contains an .exe it tells you it can't send it. I haven't tried that with msn messenger though...

I thought you made a file extension changer long time ago, why don't you let them use it.

Well, either way it would require them to change the extension to at least one program, unless I told them how to add the extension manually.

So I figured that once the extension was one their computer they could just run the programs easily without having to use the file converter.

My Programs[list][*]Knight Media Player[*]Multiple Desktops[*]Daily Comics[*]Journal[/list]

At least gmail searches the zip file and if contains an .exe it tells you it can't send it. I haven't tried that with msn messenger though...

Well, either way it would require them to change the extension to at least one program, unless I told them how to add the extension manually.

So I figured that once the extension was one their computer they could just run the programs easily without having to use the file converter.

Try to find the Registry value and then send them a .reg file. It should be much easier.

I rename things with really odd extensions, and then tell them to remove the odd part of the name:

MyApp.exe.HIDE

Remove the ".HIDE" from the end of the name and then double-click.

MyApp.exe.REMOVEME

Remove the ".REMOVEME" from the end of the name and then double-click.

Since these extensions are never "known" to Windows, the "Hide extensions for known file types" setting won't ever hide these extensions.

Myapp.exe.Hey_Bucky_Remove_This_Extra_Text_(including_the_period_before_it)

BlueBearrOddly enough, this is what I do for fun.

I rename things with really odd extensions, and then tell them to remove the odd part of the name:

Since these extensions are never "known" to Windows, the "Hide extensions for known file types" setting won't ever hide these extensions.

Myapp.exe.Hey_Bucky_Remove_This_Extra_Text_(including_the_period_before_it)

That's what I tried! I need to give all my friends computer classes....

Try to find the Registry value and then send them a .reg file. It should be much easier.

I've never done that before. Where would I find the registry value? And what registry value? Could you explain that a bit more?

You could include 2 files in the Zip file. Batch file and EXE file renamed.

Then, have your friend run the batch file inside.

Example,

Batch file is named as 'RunMeFirst.CMD'.

Program.EXE is renamed as Program.XEX

These two files are ziped as 'Attachment.zip'

This could be contents of RunMeFirst.CMD.

UNZIP Attachment.zip
Rename Program.XEX Program.EXE
Program.EXE
DEL RunmeFirst.CMD

You could include 2 files in the Zip file. Batch file and EXE file renamed.

Then, have your friend run the batch file inside.

Example,

Batch file is named as 'RunMeFirst.CMD'.

Program.EXE is renamed as Program.XEX

These two files are ziped as 'Attachment.zip'

This could be contents of RunMeFirst.CMD.

UNZIP Attachment.zip
Rename Program.XEX Program.EXE
Program.EXE
DEL RunmeFirst.CMD
Sweet! That works great! Thanks