Need some documented knowledge about AUTO IT

Hello All,

I've been here for a while and enjoy scripting with auto it. Recently i changed jobs and since they have heavy restrictions what you can use and what you can't i decided to get AutoIt v3 approved within the company so i can continue scripting and making thigns easier for everyone. The process itself requires software classification, tools quality plan and so on. They need as much information about who creates AutoIt, how long it exists, will it exists and so on. I have to prepare some answers as i will be having conference call and i'm preety sure they will ask me a lot fo questions about software. I already got some answers but AutoIt main page just give information for standard users who want to start things running and not for ppl who don't care about the language itself but more about support to software, will it be developed, what chances are that it will become unsupported in some time. Things to be taken into consideration before introducing something to heavily documented envirovment. They just need to be sure that if they approve use of AutoIt it won't be gone. So i have few questions, plus i am unsure what to ask as this will be my first time in getting approved tool like AutoIt in a company. So if anyone have some information that can help me do that please post here. And please let the information be meritorical as i already know that AutoIT is THE BEST :)

- Is AutoIt having a company behind it? Or is it purely Jon and some developers around it? (For some reason companies seems to have more credit then open source, or some coders just coding for pure pleasure)

- Is AutoIt going to continue development? I know it's run since 1999 and going forward every day just is this going to be continued or is there a plan to leave it in 3 years?

- Have anyone ever compared AutoIt to other scripting languages and what are the advantages?

Can't think of anything else right now but feel free to provide me with as much information as you can. I'm preety sure there are couple of ppl out there who have similar situation like me. Having skills to write something in AutoIt but can't push them thru until validated.

With Regards,

MadBoy

My little company: Evotec (PL version: Evotec)

- Is AutoIt going to continue development? I know it's run since 1999 and going forward every day just is this going to be continued or is there a plan to leave it in 3 years?

Even though Autoit some time in the future would stop development you can still use the latest existing version

with all it's great functionality.

So this criterium has no high value by me.

But I think it will not happen :)

Edited by Zedna

Hello All,

I've been here for a while and enjoy scripting with auto it. Recently i changed jobs and since they have heavy restrictions what you can use and what you can't i decided to get AutoIt v3 approved within the company so i can continue scripting and making thigns easier for everyone. The process itself requires software classification, tools quality plan and so on. They need as much information about who creates AutoIt, how long it exists, will it exists and so on. I have to prepare some answers as i will be having conference call and i'm preety sure they will ask me a lot fo questions about software. I already got some answers but AutoIt main page just give information for standard users who want to start things running and not for ppl who don't care about the language itself but more about support to software, will it be developed, what chances are that it will become unsupported in some time. Things to be taken into consideration before introducing something to heavily documented envirovment. They just need to be sure that if they approve use of AutoIt it won't be gone. So i have few questions, plus i am unsure what to ask as this will be my first time in getting approved tool like AutoIt in a company. So if anyone have some information that can help me do that please post here. And please let the information be meritorical as i already know that AutoIT is THE BEST :)

- Is AutoIt having a company behind it? Or is it purely Jon and some developers around it? (For some reason companies seems to have more credit then open source, or some coders just coding for pure pleasure)

- Have anyone ever compared AutoIt to other scripting languages and what are the advantages?

Can't think of anything else right now but feel free to provide me with as much information as you can. I'm preety sure there are couple of ppl out there who have similar situation like me. Having skills to write something in AutoIt but can't push them thru until validated.

With Regards,

MadBoy

Looks like you are working with ISO9000 or worst... ISO/TS16949... ;)

Good luck !!! ;)

Hello All,

With Regards,

MadBoy

This link to Wikipedea is a useful reference.

You can't ignore figures like

The number of registered users at nearly 22,000.

The most on line at one time nearly 5,000.

Provides one of the fastest if not the fastest replies and number of replies to requests for help on the forums for any language is a strong point because it speeds up script development.

Companies might have more credit but they shouldn't have IMO. Look what happened recently with Delphi which is (again IMO) an excellent product but looked like it might disappear because of lack of interest from Borland. If I had to bet on which was more likely, the Auoit community keeping AutoIt going for the next 10 years or Borland keeping Delphi going for the next 10 years my money would be on AutoIt.

Developed faster than other scripting languages as far as I can see.

Freeware so little cost. (It's not open source though as you suggest.)

Well developed Gui IDE (Koda) for fast gui designing.

Supports COM, ActiveX. Has acces to Windows API, can use dlls.

Huge number of freely available scripts which is growing by the hour.

Main Disadvantages that I see:

Graphics handling is a little weak.

Debugging is not so easy compared to some languages.

Rather limited number of controls, but the udfs available help.

After that the problems are fairly minor and probably more like personal gripes than problems so I won't go on.

Serial port communications UDF Includes functions for binary transmission and reception.printing UDF Useful for graphs, forms, labels, reports etc.Add User Call Tips to SciTE for functions in UDFs not included with AutoIt and for your own scripts.Functions with parameters in OnEvent mode and for Hot Keys One function replaces GuiSetOnEvent, GuiCtrlSetOnEvent and HotKeySet.UDF IsConnected2 for notification of status of connected state of many urls or IPs, without slowing the script.