Installation Automation: Graphics and Checkboxes?

Seen

Hi guys. I'm a recent user of Autoit and I'm trying to learn a lot of different things.

What I've been doing recently is automating the installation of all kinds of programs that I use, like GoogleToolbar, CutePDF writer, so and and so forth.

However, with certain programs, I run into a problem that I can't find a solution to in the help files or by using the search function here on the forums.

For certain installations, and uninstallations, there are graphics used instead of actual buttons. By this, I mean when I use the AutoIt Information window, it doesn't show anything like Button1 or TRadioButton3 or anything like that, its just blank. How would I select said button? Examples would be clicking the Scan Now button on Ad-Aware 2007.

Also, I am having similar troubles selecting checkboxes, as well. For example, when trying to automate Spybot S&D installation, I want to uncheck the IE Protection software and other checkboxes, however, I can't see any information for it in the AutoIt information window. How can this be done?

I'm sorry for all the noobish questions, and I hope you all can help!

Thanks for your time.

~Seen

Yeah, I understand that I can use the coordinates, however, at different resolutions I believe that the coordinates vary. This means that I would not be able to do this over multiple computers.

One thing that did pop in my head while typing this is, what if I query the resolution of the computer and do coordinates based on the current resolution. However, that seems very tedious and inefficient. Are there any other ways?

Thanks again for the welcome and your time.

~Seen

Bumping this thread for visibility.

Is there really no way of doing so aside from the coordinates?

~Seen

Many programs (actually probably 90%) that are widely available have /silent switches that can be used for automated installation.

You can try this Forum .There's a lot of switches for everything. It's much cleaner then going thru GUI automatization. I would use GUI automatization if there is REALY no way of doing it diffrent way.

Edited by MadBoy

My little company: Evotec (PL version: Evotec)

...at different resolutions I believe that the coordinates vary...

Not always.

Use the Opt - MouseCoordMode 0

Sets the way coords are used in the mouse functions, either absolute coords or coords relative to the current active window:

0 = relative coords to the active window

1 = absolute screen coordinates (default)

2 = relative coords to the client area of the active window

Some apps may "spreadout" at higher resolutions, but the one that I just checked did not.

...be sure and change the way that the AU3Info tool reports mouse coords...

-MSP-

[size="1"][font="Arial"].[u].[/u][/font][/size]

Many programs (actually probably 90%) that are widely available have /silent switches that can be used for automated installation.

You can try this Forum .There's a lot of switches for everything. It's much cleaner then going thru GUI automatization. I would use GUI automatization if there is REALY no way of doing it diffrent way.

For each program that I can find a silent switch for, I use that. However, there are many programs that I use where there simply are not switches for; at least not for the freeware version.

However, thank you for that website. I'm sure it will be very useful in the future.

Not always.

Use the Opt - MouseCoordMode 0

Sets the way coords are used in the mouse functions, either absolute coords or coords relative to the current active window:

0 = relative coords to the active window

1 = absolute screen coordinates (default)

2 = relative coords to the client area of the active window

Some apps may "spreadout" at higher resolutions, but the one that I just checked did not.

...be sure and change the way that the AU3Info tool reports mouse coords...

-MSP-

Now this is some great info. I'd have to say that, most programs that I will be using won't spread out at higher resolutions. I'll certainly have to toy around with this.

Thanks so much for these answers. If anyone else has any advice, I'd love to hear it. All these replies have been very helpful and I can use all the help I can get!

~Seen

Sorry for the double post, but I thought that I should post my most relevant example.

One of the programs that I am trying to automate the uninstallation of is AOL. Its proving to be quite a daunting task.

I've never found a need to install Spybot, I've always installed it on my machine and set it up the way I like it, then just copy the Spybot folder to clients.

What about populating the Add/Remove Programs List? What about the Registry Entries?

I'm doing the automated installs to make it install in a professional manner. I'm not looking to cut corners for sake of ease. Once the script is done via the official install, its easy as as double-click. This is especially true with uninstallations; I don't like leaving files behind that aren't left behind via the official uninstallation.

Besides, SpyBot is just a smaller, simpler example I was using. Given the information from herewasplato (Thank you!!), I've completed several scripts that were in my To-Do list. The only one giving me any trouble is America Online.

My question is pretty much answered, however. Thanks for all the replies, everything. This forum is amazingly active and I hope to be able to contribute some great scripts in the near future!

~Seen