Error # 1073741571

Hi All,

This is a curly one (I think), so any ideas appreciated!

I have a complex script (about 3000 lines) which functions as a peer-to-peer messaging application. Unfortunately I can't upload the source as it's 151KB and there's only 23KB left in the forum upload space, so I'll try and describe the problem.

The script operates 90% of the time in the background processing its UDP traffic. There are tray icon menus (in 'onevent' mode) which the user uses to perform functions. When activated thus, various GUI's (NOT in 'onevent' mode but using GUIGetMsg()) are displayed & for user input & they exit when input is over.

In one of these, FileOpenDialogue() is called to select a file from the users PC. It seems to work fine the first time it is called, but on subsequent calls it crashes while the dialogue box is open, after an apparently random amount of time - normally just as you are in the process of selecting the file from the directory tree, but if you do nothing after the box opens you can watch it crash in front of your eyes.

If running from a compiled executable, no error appears - just a silent termination. If run from within SciTE, the AutoIT Exit Code is given as 1073741571.

I've googled this error code and AutoIT, & the only info I found was the thread at http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/lofivers...php?t35132.html which discussed calling a function within a function. I'm assuming this means calling a user-defined function when you are already in that function? If so, I don't think I have problems there, but maybe I don't understand what they were getting at.

Any suggestions welcome!

Shalom

Bill

Does it only happen when selecting files from the desktop which are text documents or predomanently contain text?

Do you have adobe acrobat 7 or maybe higher?

If so remove acrobat 7(+) and put 6 on instead

Or disable tool tips in windows

Edited by ChrisL

Thanks very much! I'd say you are right on the money with it being an XP bug. I had tried compiling/running the script under many different versions of AutoIT and all showed the same behaviour. Interestingly the FileOpenDialogue() is using *.jpg as it's filter, so I am only seeing/selecting JPG files. It does open with the desktop as default location. I tried it with and without txt files present on the desktop but it does it in both situations.

Some of my users have to have the latest version of Acrobat for work reasons, so I can't take it off or wind back the version.

Tooltips disabling may be an option - does anyone know the registry entry to change that setting programatically in XP SP2?

------>

to answer my own question, a quick google gives

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced. Modify or create, "ShowInfoTip" and set the Value to 0.

To restore set the Value to 1. This edit excludes the Start Button. (From http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_reg_edits.htm

------>

Alternatively, is there any way to trap the error to avoid loosing the app entirely?

Shalom

Bill

Edited by suthers