StringSplit() Complaint *grrrr*

ozone

Took a HECK of a long time to narrow it down to this problem. I had this huge slab of code and had to just delete line after line until I got down to this and finally realized the issue... So here's the problem.

$a = StringSplit("10,5,1",",")

If $a[2] > $a[1] Then

MsgBox(1, "", "APPEARS")

EndIf

If $a[2] * 1 > $a[1] * 1 Then

MsgBox(1, "", "DOES NOT APPEAR")

EndIf

In a nutshell, it's very easy to use stringsplit() to make an array out of a list of data. But if the data is numbers, until I perform a math operation on each array value, the value is deemed a "non" number...

So,

1. Is this a bug?

2. If it's not a bug, is there an equiv of StringSplit() but for numbers because it's a hassle to perform a math operation on each string for it to be recognized as a number, but I like the ease of use in creating an array with StringSplit(). :)

Edited by ozone

• Developers

Took a HECK of a long time to narrow it down to this problem. I had this huge slab of code and had to just delete line after line until I got down to this and finally realized the issue... So here's the problem.

$a = StringSplit("10,5,1",",")
    If $a[2] > $a[1] Then

MsgBox(1, "", "APPEARS")

EndIf

If $a[2] * 1 > $a[1] * 1 Then

EndIf

In a nutshell, it's very easy to use stringsplit() to make an array out of a list of data. But if the data is numbers, until I perform a math operation on each array value, the value is deemed a "non" number...

So,

1. Is this a bug?

2. If it's not a bug, is there an equiv of StringSplit() but for numbers because it's a hassle to perform a math operation on each string for it to be recognized as a number, but I like the ease of use in creating an array with StringSplit().  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

not a bug but a feature..

If you need to do number compare then use:

$a = StringSplit("10,5,1", ",")
If Number($a[2]) > Number($a[1]) Then
   MsgBox(1, "", "APPEARS")
EndIf

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

@this-is-me (EDIT2)

I had to re-edit this post because after re-reading the auto-it documentation, I don't believe you :)

In AutoIt there is only one datatype called a Variant.  A variant can contain numeric or string data and decides how to use the data depending on the situation it is being used in.  For example, if you try and multiply two variants they will be treated as numbers, if you try and concatenate (join) two variants they will be treated as strings.

Some examples:

10 * 20 equals the number 200 (* is used to multiply two numbers)

10 * "20" equals the number 200

"10" * "20" equals the number 200

10 & 20 equals the string "1020" (& is used to join strings)"

So no, I don't believe StringSplit() returns a string. It returns a Variant, and thus it should correctly be called "VariantSplit()". What's "inside" of the Variant is what you are thinking about - i.e., either a string or an int.

Now, look at those examples quoted from the AutoIt instruction manual. It clearly shows two strings "10" and "20" multiplied together to return a valid 200. Therefore, the bug is with the greater-than/less-than operators.

Again, if you re-read that quote from the instruction manual, it says "[AutoIt] decides how to use the data depending on the situation it is being used in." Therefore according to the logic of the manual, if two strings (10 & 20) can be multiplied and return the correct result, then it follows that if two strings (10 & 20) are compared using > or < a correct numerical comparison should result.

And if we think logically about this, why shouldn't it? The > and < operators serve absolutely ZERO purpose in regards to strings. Thus the conclusion is: this is a BUG in AutoIt. :)

Edited by ozone

From the docs for StringSplit (emphasis mine):

Return Value

Returns an array, the first element ($array[0]) contains the number of strings returned, the remaining elements ($array[1], $array[2], etc.) contain the delimited strings.

Use Mozilla | Take a look at My Disorganized AutoIt stuff | Very very old: AutoBuilder 11 Jan 2005 prototype I need to update my sig!

From the docs for StringSplit (emphasis mine):

Return Value

Returns an array, the first element ($array[0]) contains the number of strings returned, the remaining elements ($array[1], $array[2], etc.) contain the delimited strings.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I understand that, but re-read my edited-beyond-words post.

The instruction manual says if two strings which are numbers are multiplied, they will return the correct mathematical result. So it follows from THAT logic that if two strings which are numbers are compared using > or < the correct mathmatical operation should result.

In a nut-shell, what I'm saying is if AutoIt is not going to allow comparison of strings, then it equally should not allow multiplication of strings.

i.e.: (this is the current status of AutoIt)

"2" < "10" returns false

but

"2" * "10" returns 20

Therefore, the way numeric strings are treated is inconsistent.

Edited by ozone

And if we think logically about this, why shouldn't it? The < and > operators serve absolutely ZERO purpose in regards to strings.

Um, every text sorting algorithm I've seen uses either > or < with strings...

Anyway, I won't argue with you anymore :)

The following scripted solution--warning, untested--might help:

; Returns an array of numbers as numbers and strings as strings....
Func _NumberSplit($str, $delimiters)
   Local $i, $a = StringSplit($str, $delimiters)
   For $i = 1 to $a[0]
      If IsNumber($a[$i]) Then $a[$i] = Number($a[$i])
   Next
   Return $a
EndFunc
Edited by CyberSlug
Use Mozilla | Take a look at My Disorganized AutoIt stuff | Very very old: AutoBuilder 11 Jan 2005 prototype I need to update my sig!

Um, every text sorting algorithm I've seen uses either > or < with strings...

Anyway, I won't argue with you anymore  :)

Then let me end on a question...

Q: If EVERY text sorting algorithm uses > or < with strings, then explain this peice of code. If you can do that, I'll mail you $100.

If "2" < "10" Then

EndIf

Thus, the > and < operators serves ZERO purpose in AutoIt in regards to strings, so someone should put them to good use darnit!! :)

P.S. When they are put to good use, apply "logical logic" - i.e., make comparison of numeric strings possible in regards to the number size; NOT string-length which we already have a function for... i.e., stringlen()

Edited by ozone

Then let me end on a question...

Q: If EVERY text sorting algorithm uses > or < with strings, then explain this peice of code. If you can do that, I'll mail you $100.

If "2" < "10" Then

EndIf

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Create twenty text files with the names 1.txt, 2.txt, 3.txt, ... 20.txt

Sort them by name. If you are using a version of Windows older than XP you will probably see the following:

Thus 2 is not less than 10

If "2" < "10" Then..........

Thus 2 is not less than 10

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you see when you are comparing strings, you are comparing characters

so character 2 is bigger that character 1 (the first character of 10 )

"2" < "10" false

" 2" < "10" true ; note the space before 2

"02" < "10" true

so thats why in other languages, I dare not speak their name; they use

other symbols to test string to make sure you know what you are doing.

Heck for all we know the help file (I wont read it ) might mention something

about strings