Open With?

Sorry if this has been asked before, I tried searching, but couldn't find it. I'm wondering how I can open a file with a specified application (like when you right click on a file and can choose "Open With"). For example, if I wanted to open song.mp3 with winamp instead of it's default application.

I really don't know if this would work, since I'm using Win98 and it doesn't have that option.

ShellExecute("filename","","","Open with")

If it does work, I suppose all it'll do is show you the window where you are supposed to choose the program.

It should be a quite interesting function to make.

I tried this:

ShellExecute("myfile.txt", "", @ScriptDir, "Open With")

And I get this error:

...Unable to execute the external program.:

ShellExecute("myfile.txt", "", @ScriptDir, "Open With")

No application is associated with the specified file for this operation.

Did you even replace "myfile.txt" and "Open with" by something!? Edited by Dieuz

weaponx, can you give me an example of how to do this? I tried:

Run("c:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories\wordpad.exe -C:\Users\Ryan\Documents\AutoIT\examples\myfile.txt")

but this just opens Wordpad, not the .txt file with it.

Dieuz, yes I replaced Open With with the program path, and "myfile.txt" is a file I am using to test this.

You don't put a - before a parameter.

Thanks (to herewasplato too), that worked for the .txt file... But now how can I do it for something like this (this doesn't work - it will open Windows Media Player, but not the file)?

Run('C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe "Triangle.wma"')

I tried this with the full path to Triangle.wma also, but that didn't work either.

Edited by ryantollefson

Just so we are on the same page here (playing the same file):

Download this WMA file from here:

http://www.triviaproducer.com/TB4_2_Playing_a_Game.wma

or, if you prefer the site, then link route:

http://www.triviaproducer.com/support.html

then "right mouse click/save file as" the "Playing a Game:" link

then run this code - changing the path as needed:

Run('C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe "C:\Temp\TB4_2_Playing_a_Game.wma"')

It starts Windows Media Player (WMP), version 11.0.5721.5230, on a computer running the XP SP2 OS and plays the file as expected.

What happens for you?

What version of WMP are you using?

What OS?

-MSP-

[size="1"][font="Arial"].[u].[/u][/font][/size]

Maybe also there is need to use working dir..

Run('"C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe" "Path\to\file\Triangle.wma"', '"Path\to\file"')oÝ÷ Ø   Ýj[(¶¼­¢ë²+¶­«­¢+ÙIÕ¸ ÌäìÅÕ½ÐìÌäìµÀ쥱ÑM¡½ÉÑ9µ ÌäíèÀäÈíAɽɴ¥±ÌÀäÈí]¥¹½ÝÌ5¥A±åÈÀäÈíݵÁ±åȹáÌä줵ÀìÌäìÅÕ½ÐìÌäìµÀ쥱ÑM¡½ÉÑ9µ ÌäíAÑ ÀäÈíѼÀäÈí¥±ÀäÈíQÉ¥¹±¹ÝµÌä줰ÌäìÅÕ½ÐíAÑ ÀäÈíѼÀäÈí¥±ÅÕ½ÐìÌäì¤

Spoiler

Using OS: Win 7 Professional, Using AutoIt Ver(s): 3.3.6.1 / 3.3.8.1

AutoIt_Rus_Community.png AutoIt Russian Community

My Work...

Spoiler

AutoIt_Icon_small.pngProjects: ATT - Application Translate Tool {new}| BlockIt - Block files & folders {new}| SIP - Selected Image Preview {new}| SISCABMAN - SciTE Abbreviations Manager {new}| AutoIt Path Switcher | AutoIt Menu for Opera! | YouTube Download Center! | Desktop Icons Restorator | Math Tasks | KeyBoard & Mouse Cleaner | CaptureIt - Capture Images Utility | CheckFileSize Program

AutoIt_Icon_small.pngUDFs: OnAutoItErrorRegister - Handle AutoIt critical errors {new}| AutoIt Syntax Highlight {new}| Opera Library! | Winamp Library | GetFolderToMenu | Custom_InputBox()! | _FileRun UDF | _CheckInput() UDF | _GUIInputSetOnlyNumbers() UDF | _FileGetValidName() UDF | _GUICtrlCreateRadioCBox UDF | _GuiCreateGrid() | _PathSplitByRegExp() | _GUICtrlListView_MoveItems - UDF | GUICtrlSetOnHover_UDF! | _ControlTab UDF! | _MouseSetOnEvent() UDF! | _ProcessListEx - UDF | GUICtrl_SetResizing - UDF! | Mod. for _IniString UDFs | _StringStripChars UDF | _ColorIsDarkShade UDF | _ColorConvertValue UDF | _GUICtrlTab_CoverBackground | CUI_App_UDF | _IncludeScripts UDF | _AutoIt3ExecuteCode | _DragList UDF | Mod. for _ListView_Progress | _ListView_SysLink | _GenerateRandomNumbers | _BlockInputEx | _IsPressedEx | OnAutoItExit Handler | _GUICtrlCreateTFLabel UDF | WinControlSetEvent UDF | Mod. for _DirGetSizeEx UDF

AutoIt_Icon_small.pngExamples: 
ScreenSaver Demo - Matrix included | Gui Drag Without pause the script | _WinAttach()! | Turn Off/On Monitor | ComboBox Handler Example | Mod. for "Thinking Box" | Cool "About" Box | TasksBar Imitation Demo

Like the Projects/UDFs/Examples? Please rate the topic (up-right corner of the post header: Rating AutoIt_Rating.gif)

* === My topics === *

==================================================
My_Userbar.gif
==================================================

AutoIt is simple, subtle, elegant. © AutoIt Team