Help Converting Menu Items into Drop-Down

chazzmani

I am trying to convert a script that allows users to pick options from the option menu to allowing them to pick options from a dropdown (combo) box. Can someone assist? Right now, this is how the menu option code looks:

$Optionselect = GUICtrlCreateMenu("Select Option", $MenuOptions)

$A1[0] = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("Option a", $Optionselect) ; create first item

$A1[1] = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("Option b", $Optionselect) ; create 2nd item

$A1[2] = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("Option c", $Optionselect) ; create 3rd item

$A1[3] = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("Custom", $Optionselect) ; create 4th item

How do I convert that into GUICtrlCreateCombo code? My first attempt looked something like this:

$A1[0] = GUICtrlCreateCombo ("Option a", 95,139,76,10) ; create first item

GUICtrlSetData(-1,"Option b|Option c|Custom") ; add more items

But I think I painted myself into a corner and cannot figure out how to assign subsequent options to the proper variables. Thanks much!

Edited by chazzmani

I am trying to convert a script that allows users to pick options from the option menu to allowing them to pick options from a dropdown (combo) box. Can someone assist? Right now, this is how the menu option code looks:

How do I convert that into GUICtrlCreateCombo code? My first attempt looked something like this:

$A1[0] = GUICtrlCreateCombo ("Option a", 95,139,76,10) ; create first item

GUICtrlSetData(-1,"Option b|Option c|Custom") ; add more items

But I think I painted myself into a corner and cannot figure out how to assign subsequent options to the proper variables. Thanks much!

This is a possibility

$A1[0] = "Option a"
$A1[1] = "Option b"
$A1[2] = "Option c"
$A1[3] = "Custom"

$ComboList = $A1[1]
For $n = 2 to 3
    $ComboList = '|' & $A1[$n]
Next

$Combo1 = GUICtrlCreateCombo ("Option a", 95,139,76,10); create first item
GUICtrlSetData(-1,$ComboList); add more items

;To act on the choice made

$Selected = GuiCtrlRead($Combo1)
switch $Selected
    Case $A1[0] 
    ;blah blah
    case $A1[1]
;etc
Serial port communications UDF Includes functions for binary transmission and reception.printing UDF Useful for graphs, forms, labels, reports etc.Add User Call Tips to SciTE for functions in UDFs not included with AutoIt and for your own scripts.Functions with parameters in OnEvent mode and for Hot Keys One function replaces GuiSetOnEvent, GuiCtrlSetOnEvent and HotKeySet.UDF IsConnected2 for notification of status of connected state of many urls or IPs, without slowing the script.

This is a possibility

$A1[0] = "Option a"
$A1[1] = "Option b"
$A1[2] = "Option c"
$A1[3] = "Custom"

$ComboList = $A1[1]
For $n = 2 to 3
    $ComboList = '|' & $A1[$n]
Next
$Combo1 = GUICtrlCreateCombo ("Option a", 95,139,76,10); create first item
GUICtrlSetData(-1,$ComboList); add more items

;To act on the choice made

$Selected = GuiCtrlRead($Combo1)
switch $Selected
    Case $A1[0] 
;blah blah
    case $A1[1]
;etc
Thanks. I saw that you kept the original 'GUICtrlCreateMenu' code... why is that? I really want to do away with the whole idea of a menu. Was hoping for a simple way to create a drop-down list and assign variables ($A1[1],etc) to the various drop-down selections? Sorry for being a noob.

Thanks. I saw that you kept the original 'GUICtrlCreateMenu' code... why is that? I really want to do away with the whole idea of a menu. Was hoping for a simple way to create a drop-down list and assign variables ($A1[1],etc) to the various drop-down selections? Sorry for being a noob.

Just delete the first line, the menu isn't used. Here is the code corrected so that you can run it.

#include <guiconstants.au3>
GUICreate("Demo")

Dim $A1[4]
$A1[0] = "Option a"
$A1[1] = "Option b"
$A1[2] = "Option c"
$A1[3] = "Custom"

$ComboList = $A1[1]
For $n = 2 To 3
    $ComboList = $Combolist & '|' & $A1[$n]
Next
;msgbox(0,'list = ',$ComboList)
$Combo1 = GUICtrlCreateCombo("Option a", 10, 20, 76, 10); create first item
GUICtrlSetData(-1, $ComboList); add more items
$button1 = GUICtrlCreateButton('Confirm choice', 40, 50, 120, 21)
guisetstate()

While 1
    $msg = GUIGetMsg()
    If $msg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE Then Exit
    If $msg = $button1 Then
        $Selected = GUICtrlRead($Combo1)

MsgBox(0, 'you selected', $Selected)

EndIf
WEnd
Serial port communications UDF Includes functions for binary transmission and reception.printing UDF Useful for graphs, forms, labels, reports etc.Add User Call Tips to SciTE for functions in UDFs not included with AutoIt and for your own scripts.Functions with parameters in OnEvent mode and for Hot Keys One function replaces GuiSetOnEvent, GuiCtrlSetOnEvent and HotKeySet.UDF IsConnected2 for notification of status of connected state of many urls or IPs, without slowing the script.

Thanks Martin. I see where you are going with this and it is helpful. I am hoping others might might chime in with additional options as well. Perhaps I should post more code to help people understand where I am and where I am trying to get to.

CODE

While 1

$res = GUIGetMsg()

Select

Case $res = $A1[0]

$Option = 1

Case $res = $A1[1]

$Option = 100

Case $res = $A1[2]

$Option = 1000

Case $res = $A1[3]

$Option = 2000

Case $res = $A1[4]

$Input = Number(InputBox("Custom magnitude", "What factor of 10 do you want?", $Option, "", 200, 152, $x, $y))

EndSelect

WEnd

Clearly I am new at this so adding tweaks to the reply (like adding a button or other functionality) only makes it more difcult for me to understand. It is appreciated but it confuses me.

As you can see, I am trying to mimic this functionality, no more no less, with a Combobox. The buttons to capture the GUI state are already in the script. I see how you are equating the Combobox input options (a, b, c, other) to the variables (A1[0], etc) but am wondering if there is any logic that more closely matches the 'Case' logic since that is easy for me to understand. Thanks again.

Edited by chazzmani

Thanks Martin. I see where you are going with this and it is helpful. I am hoping others might might chime in with additional options as well. Perhaps I should post more code to help people understand where I am and where I am trying to get to.

CODE

While 1

$res = GUIGetMsg()

Select

Case $res = $A1[0]

$Option = 1

Case $res = $A1[1]

$Option = 100

Case $res = $A1[2]

$Option = 1000

Case $res = $A1[3]

$Option = 2000

Case $res = $A1[4]

$Input = Number(InputBox("Custom magnitude", "What factor of 10 do you want?", $Option, "", 200, 152, $x, $y))

EndSelect

WEnd

Clearly I am new at this so adding tweaks to the reply (like adding a button or other functionality) only makes it more difcult for me to understand. It is appreciated but it confuses me.

As you can see, I am trying to mimic this functionality, no more no less, with a Combobox. The buttons to capture the GUI state are already in the script. I just don't know how to equate the Combobox input options (a, b, c, other) to the variables (A1[0], etc)

Here is another version which you should try to undederstand

#include <guiconstants.au3>
GUICreate("Demo")

Dim $A1[5]
$A1[0] = "Option a"
$A1[1] = "Option b"
$A1[2] = "Option c"
$A1[3] = "Option d"
$A1[4] = "Custom"

$ComboList = $A1[1]
For $n = 2 To 4
Next
$Combo1 = GUICtrlCreateCombo("Option a", 10, 20, 76, 10); create first item
guisetstate()

While 1
    $msg = GUIGetMsg()
    If $msg = $Combo1 Then;happens when an item is clicked on from the drop down list
        $res = GUICtrlRead($Combo1)
        Select
            Case $res = $A1[0]
                $Option = 1
            Case $res = $A1[1]
                $Option = 100
            Case $res = $A1[2]
                $Option = 1000
            Case $res = $A1[3]
                $Option = 2000
            Case $res = $A1[4]
                $Option = 10*Number(InputBox("Custom magnitude", "What factor of 10 do you want?", 100, "", 200, 152,20,20))
        EndSelect
        MsgBox(0,"selection was " & $res, "$Option is now " & $option )
    EndIf

WEnd

Thanks Martin... I really do appreciate your help. Unfortunately, it's not working as I expected. I will post the full code that I am working on. If you run it, you will see that there is a menu at the top. Under the 'Options' menu, you can select a few different choices. If you select "Custom", a new dialog box will come up and ask for your input. I want to remove that menu-driven input and use the ComboBox. I don't want to remove the entire menu (since there is another 'File' section I want to preserve).

CODE
#include <GUIConstants.au3>

#include <Misc.au3>

#include <File.au3>

;========================================================================================

; Variables

;========================================================================================

Global $a1[5]

Global $Option = 500

Global $Idle = 0

Global $x = 1, $y = 1

; GUI Creation (I want the combo box here so I can remove the place in the options menu)

$GUI = GUICreate("Magnitude", 187, 150, 5, 5)

WinSetOnTop($GUI, "", 1)

WinSetState($GUI, "", @SW_ENABLE)

GUISetFont (9, 800)

GUICtrlCreateGroup("Magnitude", 0, 50, 185, 40)

GUISetFont (9, 400)

$CapMag = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Magnitude:", 10, 68, 88, 16)

$StartButton = GUICtrlCreateButton("Start", 10, 100, 77, 25, 0)

$StopButton = GUICtrlCreateButton("Stop", 100, 100, 77, 25, 0)

; Menu Creation

$MenuFile = GUICtrlCreateMenu("File") ;<== Creates Menu File in the Top Menu Bar

$MenuStart = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("Start", $MenuFile) ;<== Creates MenuItem Start in the File Menu

$MenuStop = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("Stop", $MenuFile) ;<== Creates MenuItem Stop in the File Menu

$MenuOptions = GUICtrlCreateMenu("Options")

$a1[0] = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("Option a", $Optionselect) ;<== Creates item 1

$a1[1] = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("Option b", $Optionselect) ;<== Creates item 2

$a1[2] = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("Option c", $Optionselect) ;<== Creates item 3

$a1[3] = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("Option d", $Optionselect) ;<== Creates item 4

$a1[4] = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("Custom", $Optionselect) ;<== Creates item 5

; Create Box

GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)

While 1

$msg = GUIGetMsg()

Select

Case $msg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE

Exit

Case $msg = $a1[0]

$Option = 10

Case $msg = $a1[1]

$Option = 100

Case $msg = $a1[2]

$Option = 1000

Case $msg = $a1[3]

$Option = 10000

Case $msg = $a1[4]

$Input = Number(InputBox("Enter magnitude", "What Magnitude of 10 do you want?", $Option, "", 200, 50, 250, $y))

If (Not @error) And (IsNumber($Input)) And ($Input <> 0) Then

$Option = Round($Input)

Else

$Option = 100

EndIf

EndSelect

WEnd

; Functions

Func Start()

EndFunc

Func Stop()

EndFunc

I took the code you provided and tried to fold it into my existing code and it didn't work as planned. Here that is:

CODE

#include <Misc.au3>

#include <File.au3>

; Variables

Global $a1[5]

Global $Option = 500

Global $Idle = 0

Global $x = 1, $y = 1

; GUI Creation (I want the combo box here so I can remove the place in the options menu)

WinSetOnTop($GUI, "", 1)

GUISetFont (9, 800)

GUISetFont (9, 400)

Dim $A1[5]

$A1[0] = "Option a"

$A1[1] = "Option b"

$A1[2] = "Option c"

$A1[3] = "Option d"

$A1[4] = "Custom"

$ComboList = $A1[1]

For $n = 2 To 4

Next

$Combo1 = GUICtrlCreateCombo("Option a", 10, 68, 88, 10); create first item

guisetstate()

; Menu Creation

$MenuFile = GUICtrlCreateMenu("File") ;<== Creates Menu File in the Top Menu Bar

$MenuStart = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("Start", $MenuFile) ;<== Creates MenuItem Start in the File Menu

$MenuStop = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("Stop", $MenuFile) ;<== Creates MenuItem Stop in the File Menu

$a1[0] = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("Option a", $Optionselect) ;<== Creates item 1

$a1[1] = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("Option b", $Optionselect) ;<== Creates item 2

$a1[2] = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("Option c", $Optionselect) ;<== Creates item 3

$a1[3] = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("Option d", $Optionselect) ;<== Creates item 4

$a1[4] = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("Custom", $Optionselect) ;<== Creates item 5

; Create Box

GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)

While 1

$msg = GUIGetMsg()

If $msg = $Combo1 Then;happens when an item is clicked on from the drop down list

Select

Case $res = $A1[0]

$Option = 1

Case $res = $A1[1]

$Option = 100

Case $res = $A1[2]

$Option = 1000

Case $res = $A1[3]

$Option = 2000

Case $res = $A1[4]

$Option = 10*Number(InputBox("Custom magnitude", "What factor of 10 do you want?", 100, "", 200, 152,20,20))

EndSelect

MsgBox(0,"selection was " & $res, "$Option is now " & $option )

EndIf

WEnd

; Functions

Func Start()

EndFunc

Func Stop()

EndFunc

When I selected 'Custom' from the combo box, a new box popped up and told me what the constant's value was. It didn't update the value nor did it ask me for my 'custom' value. What I am hoping for is that someone can suggest and/or tweak my original code and keep the structure as similar as you can. As soon as people start getting fancy and suggesting entirely new ways of doing something, it only confuses me and I don't learn anything. Hope that makes sense. Thanks again.

When I selected 'Custom' from the combo box, a new box popped up and told me what the constant's value was. It didn't update the value nor did it ask me for my 'custom' value. What I am hoping for is that someone can suggest and/or tweak my original code and keep the structure as similar as you can. As soon as people start getting fancy and suggesting entirely new ways of doing something, it only confuses me and I don't learn anything. Hope that makes sense. Thanks again.

Try this

#include <Misc.au3>
#include <File.au3>
; Variables
Global $a1[5]
Global $Option = 500
Global $Idle = 0
Global $x = 1, $y = 1
WinSetOnTop($GUI, "", 1);this stops the input window being over the top
GUISetFont (9, 800)
GUISetFont (9, 400)
$labOpt = GUICtrlCreateLabel("500",20,66,120,21)
GUICtrlCreateGroup ("",-99,-99,1,1);added. must close group or problems maybe
Dim $Ac1[5];changed from $A1 because that is the same as $a1 set later to different values
$Ac1[0] = "Option a"
$Ac1[1] = "Option b"
$Ac1[2] = "Option c"
$Ac1[3] = "Option d"
$Ac1[4] = "Custom"

$ComboList = $Ac1[1]
For $n = 2 To 4
    $ComboList = $Combolist & '|' & $Ac1[$n]
Next
$Combo1 = GUICtrlCreateCombo("Option a", 10, 18, 88, 10); create first item
guisetstate()

; Menu Creation
$MenuFile = GUICtrlCreateMenu("File");<== Creates Menu File in the Top Menu Bar
$MenuStart = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("Start", $MenuFile);<== Creates MenuItem Start in the File Menu
$MenuStop = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("Stop", $MenuFile);<== Creates MenuItem Stop in the File Menu
Dim $a1[5]
$a1[0] = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("Option a", $Optionselect);<== Creates item 1
$a1[1] = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("Option b", $Optionselect);<== Creates item 2
$a1[2] = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("Option c", $Optionselect);<== Creates item 3
$a1[3] = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("Option d", $Optionselect);<== Creates item 4
$a1[4] = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("Custom", $Optionselect);<== Creates item 5
; Create Box
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)
While 1
    $msg = GUIGetMsg()
    ;MsgBox(0,'res = ',$res)
        Select
            Case $res = $Ac1[0]
                $Option = 1
            Case $res = $Ac1[1]
                $Option = 100
            Case $res = $Ac1[2]
                $Option = 1000
            Case $res = $Ac1[3]
                $Option = 2000
            Case $res = $Ac1[4]
                $Option = 10*Number(InputBox("Custom magnitude", "What factor of 10 do you want?",100, "", 200, 152,220,20))
        EndSelect
    ;MsgBox(0,"selection was " & $res, "$Option is now " & $option )
        GUICtrlSetData($labOpt,$Option)
    EndIf

WEnd
; Functions
Func Start()
EndFunc
Func Stop()
EndFunc

Try this

; Menu Creation
$MenuFile = GUICtrlCreateMenu("File");<== Creates Menu File in the Top Menu Bar
$MenuStart = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("Start", $MenuFile);<== Creates MenuItem Start in the File Menu
$MenuStop = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("Stop", $MenuFile);<== Creates MenuItem Stop in the File Menu
Dim $a1[5]
$a1[0] = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("Option a", $Optionselect);<== Creates item 1
$a1[1] = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("Option b", $Optionselect);<== Creates item 2
$a1[2] = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("Option c", $Optionselect);<== Creates item 3
$a1[3] = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("Option d", $Optionselect);<== Creates item 4
$a1[4] = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("Custom", $Optionselect);<== Creates item 5
; Create Box
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)
Thanks... let me work with this. Question for you though: why did you keep the options in the Menu? That is what I want to get rid of. I will try to just delete that section, but didn't know your motivation for retaining it here. Edited by chazzmani

Thanks... let me work with this. Question for you though: why did you keep the options in the Menu? That is what I want to get rid of. I will try to just delete that section, but didn't know your motivation for retaining it here.

I didn't put any thought or effort into getting rid of things, I just modified the code you posted to make it work. You should be able to delete the menu bits without any problem, and then maybe I needn't have changed the $A1 to $Ac1.