Check for Internet, Search list online - Ebook protection

I currently have a ebook in executable .exe format.

I want to protect the compiled file and insure only authorized users can open it.

This is a new version of the eBook which I did last year. The problem I had was some people would place a chargeback on the credit card but keep the book. I'm ok with refunds but I want to turn off the exe.

I was going to try Secure-eBook but it only mentions pdf files. So I remembered AutoIt.

BTW: I also placed this project on RentaCoder if someone want to do this for me.

Each time exe is opened

1. Check for internet connection if no connection dispay message and do not allow exe to open

2. Query my authorized list online for ebook code and if not on list display message and do not allow exe to open

If 1 and 2 are OK then play my intro video and open exe

Anyone done anything like this with AutoIt?

You shouldn't force your users to have an internet connection. Even M$ doesn't do that.

They at least offer a telephone activation option for those without.

If no internet connection how would the script check to see if the ebook id is still valid?

If no internet connection how would the script check to see if the ebook id is still valid?

it cant really, but the polite thing to do is to wait until internet is connected, then check in the background if ebook is still valid, if invalid display a message and delete/deactivate book

eventually, everyone goes online...

it cant really, but the polite thing to do is to wait until internet is connected, then check in the background if ebook is still valid, if invalid display a message and delete/deactivate book

eventually, everyone goes online...

What if I purchase an e-book with the intention of reading it on a flight? I think there should be a checking interval like every 5 days if this method is used, that way I could verify my e-book, then travel for a few days without having to worry about it not letting me open.

Do this: have it so when you receive the payment, have the user send a email to you with a code that is generated by the name of the PC along with a couple of other things. You send them a unlock code. If they attempt to use the book somewhere else, it will not open for it won't match what is on the PC.

Do this: have it so when you receive the payment, have the user send a email to you with a code that is generated by the name of the PC along with a couple of other things. You send them a unlock code. If they attempt to use the book somewhere else, it will not open for it won't match what is on the PC.

The issue isn't about the book being opened on multiple machines. He allows the books to be "returned" and thusly needs to deactivate the file on the customers' machine.

What if I purchase an e-book with the intention of reading it on a flight? I think there should be a checking interval like every 5 days if this method is used, that way I could verify my e-book, then travel for a few days without having to worry about it not letting me open.

I could live with a weekly validation check but if I do that the person can change their system clock and never have to get validation

Do you already have a database setup with customers / orders ? If so, what language / db is it (php / mysql, asp / mssql)???

No - but it will be in a mysql db

ID will be the Paypal transaction Id (6L100636MF104052V)

I only use Paypal so that should work just fine

I currently have a ebook in executable .exe format.

I want to protect the compiled file and insure only authorized users can open it.

This is a new version of the eBook which I did last year. The problem I had was some people would place a chargeback on the credit card but keep the book. I'm ok with refunds but I want to turn off the exe.

I believe the best approach is to deactivate the eBook as a part of the process of issuing a refund. I suggest you consider HYPrLock for Activ E-book http://hyprlock.com/ for your .exe ebooks. You need to buy Active E-book itself http://www.ebookcompiler.com, currently $29.95, and HYPrLock for $49.95. Both are one-time licenses for unlimited ebooks. (I have no business relationship with either company - I am just a satisfied customer.)

Neither product requires an Internet connection to open an ebook. You need an active Internet connection to request a refund. The process of approving the refund deactivates the ebook. A limitation of this approach is that an ebook will work on only one computer and may stop working if you replace the computer's hard drive with a new one. In that event, it is simple for you to activate the ebook on the new hard drive. If a customer wants a copy of an ebook on both a desktop and a notebook PC, you have a couple of options. You can require them to buy a second copy of the ebook, perhaps at a discount (that's what they'd have to do if they wanted two copies of a paper reference book, one for the office and one for home) or you can issue a second unlock key free on request.

Edited by Wells