AutoIt and Firewalls

Does anyone know if there a way of using AutoIt to launch a program (like iexplore.exe) without certain firewalls (like ZoneAlarm) halting the running of the script/exe to ask the user whether to allow it to launch a program?

If batch files are used instead of AutoIt script/exe then the user is never prompted which is what i need to achieve with AutoIt.

Here is what i have tried with AutoIt:

ShellExecute("iexplore.exe", @ScriptDir & "\index.html")

Run("C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe", @ScriptDir & "\index.html")

Run(@ComSpec & " /c " & 'start iexplore.exe', "", @SW_HIDE)

Here is the working batch file command:

start iexplore.exe

Does anyone have any ideas about what i could do or could even point me in the right direction?

TIA

Does anyone know if there a way of using AutoIt to launch a program (like iexplore.exe) without certain firewalls (like ZoneAlarm) halting the running of the script/exe to ask the user whether to allow it to launch a program?

Welcome to AutoIt and the forum! A few questions for you so we might better understand your problem. Amazing how important small details can be :).
  • What OS are you running these "scripts/exe's on; WinXP, WinVista, etc. If Vista, then search the AutoIt Help file for this phrase "AutoIt on Windows Vista" to understand new "security features"
  • Are the problem scripts compiled .exe scripts? If compiled, you might want to read up on the sticky message at the top of this forum titled "Are my AutoIt EXE's really infected?, How and Why your EXE's have been deleted."
  • Are you sure its the "firewall" and not the AntiVirus portion of ZoneLabs' security suit?
  • Have you examined the "firewall" rule sets and/or logs to see why the halts are taking place
  • Does the "firewall" halt the script when you run the .au3 file (not compiled)?
  • Does the problem occur with any .exe file like calc.exe or notepad.exe?
Since you're trying to launch IE, you should read up on the IE.au3 function in Help. Specificallly look at the _IE_Example and _IECreate() and IENavigate() functions.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry about the big delay in my reply. I have been very busy lately but I really appreciate the welcome, feedback and suggestions.

I had better explain in detail what i am trying to do and why.

I was originally going to create a couple of different scripts which would launch other applications. The first was going to launch IE, but since then i opted for the more advanced control offered by using IE.au3, but the remaining launcher needs to launch an uninstaller and pass extra parameters to the exe.

I originally used batch files for the to launch the uninstaller but the problem is that some users have not installed to the default "%ProgramFiles%" directory which meant the batch can't find the uninstaller. I figured the best option is to read the installation path from a registry String and use that in the launching process. As far as i am aware there is not possible to do this from a batch file so i decided to use AutoIt... plus it looks much nicer than a batch file window.

The problem using scripts and executables, is that ZoneAlarm pops up and asks if you want to allow the script/exe to launch a secondary application. This goes for ANY unknown program which launches a secondary application. There are a few exceptions to the rule like using autorun (from a CD etc), the Run command, Command Prompt or a batch file. It is a privilege issue rather than the file being identified as a virus/malicious software.

Here is the ZoneAlarm message:

"my_launcher.exe is trying to launce C:\Program Files\Some_Program_Directory\Some_Program.exe or use another program to gain access to privileged resources."

I tried launching Notepad from both a uncompiled script and a compiled exe but the message continues.

Here is my code:

$var = RegRead("HKLM\Software\Some_Program_Director\Some_Program", "InstallDirectory")

ShellExecute("uninstall.exe", " /parameter", $var)

I will be using these scripts/exe's in Windows 2000/XP/Vista

Any ideas on what i could do? Are there any alternatives to using "ShellExecute", "Run" or "Run(@ComSpec...)" or is there another way past this problem?

Thanks again for your help and suggestions.

Here is the ZoneAlarm message:

"my_launcher.exe is trying to launce C:\Program Files\Some_Program_Directory\Some_Program.exe or use another program to gain access to privileged resources."

I tried launching Notepad from both a uncompiled script and a compiled exe but the message continues.

Here is my code:

$var = RegRead("HKLM\Software\Some_Program_Director\Some_Program", "InstallDirectory")

ShellExecute("uninstall.exe", " /parameter", $var)

I will be using these scripts/exe's in Windows 2000/XP/Vista

Thanks for the details as it gives a better picture of what's going on. If the ZoneAlarm message occur on a your non-Vista PCs, this is probably due to the policies (rules) in place on each computer. Since the warning message pops up even when you're using Run("notepad.exe") this is probably more of a Zone Alarm issue than AutoIt or Windows. Also the fact that this occurs with straight .au3 scripts rules out the false positive virus problem.

You might want to contact ZoneAlarm's tech support and explain the situation. Comment your script step by step to make it easy for them to understand what every detail is. By sending them your script, this is show that you're not creating a virus and that their product is over reacting... if it is.

I don't use Zone Alarm, so its difficult for me to recreate or relate to your situation. Maybe you can PM a mod and ask them to change your subject line to something more descriptive to draw in people who use ZoneAlarm and AutoIt together. Possible subject line: "ZoneAlarm v?? prevents .au3 scripts from launching apps"

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, maybe some others can chime in on the topic.