possible?

Is it possible with AutoIt, ya better believe it's possible. But you have to know what a few things, beginning with what's your end goal. If all you want is the W2K serial from your computer then there's other free tools out there that do this. Google "find windows product key" and see what you come up with. Now if you need the key as part of a bigger goal/script then you need to know where the key is stored in the registry. To pull the key you can search the AutoIt Help file for commands that begin with Reg...(). Now once you get the right command and know the right registry key to pull, you'll now have an encrypted value that needs to be decoded so you can make sense of it. I personally don't have the programming knowledge or energy to read white papers and experiment through trial and error. Especially since there are tools that already do this so easily.

Perhaps not the answer you were looking for and maybe someone like MHz has the au3 code for this. Good luck and if you find the au3 code it would be great to post it here for others to learn from.

• Moderators

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=29404

_ComputerGetOSs

Edit:

By the way, I had this answer for you hours ago when you posted this, but because of your stupid ass title you named this thread, I couldn't remember where in the hell it was I saw the question at when I went back to answer it.

That is proof in the pudding that you need to quit naming your topic threads anything other than what it is you're are needing help with.

Edited by SmOke_N

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

By the way, I had this answer for you hours ago when you posted this, but because of your stupid ass title you named this thread, I couldn't remember where in the hell it was I saw the question at when I went back to answer it.

That is proof in the pudding that you need to quit naming your topic threads anything other than what it is you're are needing help with.

Amen SmOke_N!! When I was trying to find this thread to update some information i couldn't find it because of the genius subject line! Thanks for helping me find the thread again, and yes its listed in the search. I didn't realize this was what I was looking for since I was focusing on the subject line.

@realkiller - if you haven't figured this out by now, the _ComputerGetOSs() function will only return the ProductID despite WMI saying its the "SerialNumber:". If you're still after the Windows serial key you'll need to find some different au3 code or do as I originally suggested and pull down on of those programs that decodes the Product Key.

For anyone else that finds this crazy thread, the UDF that SmOke_N links to is pretty good stuff. But it does NOT provide you with the Product Key only the ProductID which can also be found under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ProductID. The Key (serial number) is encoded and located elsewhere in DigitalProductID Binary key :).