How to learn AutoIt?

Dirk98

Guys, any recommendations how/where to learn AutoIt in more or less organized way, from very simple to more complex problems? Perhaps someone knows a resource with enough basic scripts to get an idea of the main scripting methods and techniques in AutoIt. The HELP is an excellent reference material, but some tutorials are still needed to jumpstart. The 3 examples in the tutorials is very little. Any other suggestions or recommendations?

Many thanks.

Trust me: Helpfile is the best place!

The are lots of examples at each function, functions are in categories

and what about these sections:

- Using AutoIt

- Language Reference

- Keyword Reference

EDIT:

Look into "C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\Examples\Helpfile\" directory - there are all 822 examples included in helpfile, is it enough?

Edited by Zedna

Guys, any recommendations how/where to learn AutoIt in more or less organized way, from very simple to more complex problems? Perhaps someone knows a resource with enough basic scripts to get an idea of the main scripting methods and techniques in AutoIt. The HELP is an excellent reference material, but some tutorials are still needed to jumpstart. The 3 examples in the tutorials is very little. Any other suggestions or recommendations?

Many thanks.

Honestly, I never "learned" autoit. I'm currently doing Java in my programming class, and when I want to write autoit scripts, it's fairly easy when you got a base. So if there's no autoit tutorial, I suggest you read a C++ book.

Yeh, I saw those already, but didn't stop there. Thanks for the pointer.

After running through the examples Zedna and FossilRock gave you and you're still hungry for more, you can look in the Example Scripts forum. From there you can get tons of scripts that are usuallly written by the people who really know what they are doing. This really is a great scripting language and I'm amazed by some of the stuff the gurus do with it.

Another idea is while you're reading the forum and look at people's signature line. Many of them have their programs listed and is a good place to get ideas.

Edit: fixed type -- Zedna from Zenda :)

Edited by ssubirias3

After running through the examples Zenda and FossilRock gave you and you're still hungry for more, you can look in the Example Scripts forum. From there you can get tons of scripts that are usuallly written by the people who really know what they are doing. This really is a great scripting language and I'm amazed by some of the stuff the gurus do with it.

Another idea is while you're reading the forum and look at people's signature line. Many of them have their programs listed and is a good place to get ideas.

Good notes except one: I'm Zedna :)

i believe autoit has such an easy syntax that you dont really need tutorials... just an example script on how to design guis and recieve messages from controls (the basics) etc. etc.... and then get started creating small programs

Edited by Gif

i believe autoit has such an easy syntax that you dont really need tutorials... just an example script on how to design guis and recieve messages from controls (the basics) etc. etc.... and then get started creating small programs

Very true, the problem is the examples in the HELP are a little dry for a newbie.

I think, having a need is a good start. I started by automating an installation.

Lar.

Yes, indeed, Lar. How about this: I need a script that would read a simple txt output from another file and send some keystrokes based on that feed. I don't expect myself wanting to go far beyond this scripting problem.

Thanks.

Fossil, thanks! Great advise, I know this series, and this book is exactly what I was looking for.

Edit: or is it just your avatar? Ok, I'll fumble through the Classes 1-2-3. :)

It's a home made avatar ... lol.

Agreement is not necessary - thinking for one's self is!

My-Colors.jpg

cuniform2.gif