Refreshing Active Desktop

Gramma2005

What I would like to do is have the active desktop to be set to a certain webpage, and then be able to update which page it points to remotely. So far, my only approach is to change the path in the registry key to point to a new web page, but this does not update the active desktop, even with a simple refresh (ie. right click desktop and hit refresh, or hit F5). If I go into display properties and apply again, without making any changes, it does change to the new web page. I am not sure if there is a windows api call that will refresh or reapply the background? Any advice how to do this would be greatly appreciated. For reference, the Reg Key is [HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Desktop\Components\Source] Also log off and log on will update it, but this is not optimal, I want to be able to change it so that the users will see the change.

Welcome to the forum.

This post...

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.ph...st&p=226075

...suggests this line of code:

Run("RunDll32.exe USER32.DLL,UpdatePerUserSystemParameters ,1 ,True")
...for refreshing the desktop

...maybe it will work for Active Desktop content as well - I cannot test at the moment.

-MSP-

[size="1"][font="Arial"].[u].[/u][/font][/size]

Unfortunately this does not work. Perhaps it is because the item is an html file instead of a bmp... is there any way to convert a dynamic html file to a bmp? Not sure this would be the best solution, but it might be a start. Or maybe there is another dll call for active directory. I did see on MSDN there is a IActiveDesktop object.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms647188.aspx

I do not know how to implement this in AutoIt, or if it works in Windows XP, it appears to be in the new shell api with vista... Thanks for the help!