How do you pronounce "SciTe" ?

setirich

Sorry...didn't know where else to post this (the SciTe forum?) but since I hang out here & not there...

Ok...how do you say the Sci.... word ? I had a bad episode in an employment interview recently where the manager actually asked me what editor I liked (never had that happen before).

I pronounce it like the word "sight". Given the spelling, some folks might want to sound that E on the end, but I think it might be (should be) silent.

How about you?

Rich (Silent in Michigan... :) )

Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.-Daniel Webster

Sorry...didn't know where else to post this (the SciTe forum?) but since I hang out here & not there...

Ok...how do you say the Sci.... word ? I had a bad episode in an employment interview recently where the manager actually asked me what editor I liked (never had that happen before).

I pronounce it like the word "sight". Given the spelling, some folks might want to sound that E on the end, but I think it might be (should be) silent.

How about you?

Rich (Silent in Michigan... :) )

S-C-I-T-E

Because it rhymes if you say "SciTE4Autoit3"

@setirich - good question and even better reason for knowing how to pronouce it correctly. I can see how uncomfortable it would be to have the technical interviewer smirk then say, "oh you mean....." Talk about Yikes!!!

I pronounce it - Sigh - Tee

Makes sense based on how we say the word Sci-Fi or the SciFi Channel. But is that the accepted way? Kind of like Linux. I once read or heard that the correct what to pronounce Linux was like Linus from Charlie Brown. That x can be tricky.. sometime prounounced "X" or like a "Z" or like an "S". But yeah I'd guess "Sigh Tee" too.

• Moderators

Well with this many differences, we all have to wait till Jdeb chimes in, and if he's unsure, I'm thinking it's time to make a trip to the SciTe site itself.

Edit:

I should iterate that the reason I pronounce it the way I do is because of the capital "T".

Edited by SmOke_N

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

• Moderators

I feel so alone... does nobody else give it a hard C?

*feels ostracization coming on*

LOL, the only other way I can see myself saying it is:

Site

Tee

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Hi,

Skite like sight. That is germanized :-)

So long,

Mega

Scripts & functions Organize Includes Let Scite organize the include files

Yahtzee The game "Yahtzee" (Kniffel, DiceLion)

LoginWrapper Secure scripts by adding a query (authentication)

_RunOnlyOnThis UDF Make sure that a script can only be executed on ... (Windows / HD / ...)

Internet-Café Server/Client Application Open CD, Start Browser, Lock remote client, etc.

MultipleFuncsWithOneHotkey Start different funcs by hitting one hotkey different times

Those that I know pronouce it as "sight".

That is how I pronounce it as well. :)

- The Kandie Man ;-)

"So man has sown the wind and reaped the world. Perhaps in the next few hours there will no remembrance of the past and no hope for the future that might have been." & _"All the works of man will be consumed in the great fire after which he was created." & _"And if there is a future for man, insensitive as he is, proud and defiant in his pursuit of power, let him resolve to live it lovingly, for he knows well how to do so." & _"Then he may say once more, 'Truly the light is sweet, and what a pleasant thing it is for the eyes to see the sun.'" - The Day the Earth Caught Fire

That is how I pronounce it as well. :)

- The Kandie Man ;-)

One more vote for "sight"!

EDIT:

New conclusive proof found:

_SpeakToWAV('Scite') 

Func _SpeakToWAV($sText)
    $ObjVoice=ObjCreate("Sapi.SpVoice")
    $ObjFile=ObjCreate("SAPI.SpFileStream.1")
    $objVoice.Speak ($sText)
EndFunc
Edited by Piano_Man
My Programs[list][*]Knight Media Player[*]Multiple Desktops[*]Daily Comics[*]Journal[/list]