Rosetta Stone v2.0 - the next generation - translates 33 languages now

jennico

Hello world !

Posted Image

Rosetta Stone is a smooth and small online translation tool with advanced, very comfortable features, powerful and easy to use. It is able to translate texts of nearly any size (in fact there seems to be a limit) from 33 languages to 33 languages in any combination with astonishing grammatical abilities.

List of supported translation languages:

Central and Western Europe: German, English, French, Dutch, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, Welsh, Latin

Nordic Languages: Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish, Icelandic

East and South East Europe: Russian, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Slovenian, Croatian, Serbian, Romanian, Bulgarian, Greek, Turkish

East Asia: Filipino (Tagalog), Japanese (Kanji), Japanese (Hiragana), Korean, Chinese (simplified), Chinese (traditional)

America: Latin American Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese

Rosetta Stone supports nine interface languages: German, English, French, Dutch, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, Greek and Russian.

In spite of AutoIt limitations (no support for Unicode or non-Latin characters), Rosetta Stone will even display the result in East European and Asian characters. If you want use this feature you have to install the Asian language support from the WinXP CD (Control Panel => Region Settings => Languages).

Rosetta Stone allows you to translate entire texts "on the fly" by reading and writing to the clipboard in "silent mode" (without the interface).

Rosetta Stone can (in embedded Macro Mode) read out the marked text in your document and translate it by one click (without the interface).

If selected, Rosetta Stone returns alternative / equivalent translations (see below => advanced options).

Have fun !

1. The Graphical User Interface:

=======================

Be sure to enter texts grammatically and orthographically correct or you will receive really weird translations ! Try to simplify the input text and use short sentences. Do not use abbreviations like "it´s" or "can´t". Be aware that the English language is often ambiguous. There is no differenciation between verbs, adjectives and substantives, no conjugation of verbs and sometimes no plural (e.g. "you" has an uncountable amount of meanings), which makes an exact translation difficult.

You can select out of 33 input and 33 output languages. Some combinations cannot be translated directly. Rosetta Stone then will offer you a "transit" language. Usually English will be the better transit language, but in some cases you can select French instead and compare the significance of the translations (Radio buttons). For this reason I added the option to choose a transit language even in case that a direct translation is available.

On typing do not use the Return button, as this will initialize the translation. Any formatting will be ignored and stripped anyway. If you want to exclude a word from translation (e.g. names) you can surround the word by two asterisks (e.g. "In *New York* I was born"). This does not work for InterTran.

Checkbox "Automatic" : => forces Rosetta Stone to translate the input text immediately on change of result or transit language without using the translate button.

Button "Replace" : => exchanges the input text with clipboard text. Action can be undone by clicking button once more.

Button "Copy" : => copies result text to clipboard. This also works with East European and Asian characters.

Button "Delete" : => deletes both edit box texts. Action can be undone by clicking button once more.

Button "Translate It" : => Translate It !

Button "Exit" : => Saves all settings and current texts on exit.

Possible (silent) error messages:

no connection to translation service: check internet connection, try again later (heavy traffic / busy ?), or text too long.

no translation possible: check if you selected the wrong input language ?, or (if text is only one word): word unknown or the same as origin (identical in and output will return an error message).

returns only question marks or empty squares: you have to install the Asian language pack (see above).

"Service not available"

"Bad IP" (I have no idea what that means.)

"<<<Unexpected Error>>>"

"Server busy. Try again." (only InterTran)

"Sorry, no translation available." (only InterTran)

2. The Tray functions:

================

= Left click on tray icon will maximize and activate Rosetta Stone.

= Double click on on tray icon will automatically translate the clipboard content "on the fly" and in "silent mode". The translation will automatically be copied to the clipboard. This function is also available while the main window is minimized. A tooltip window and notification sound will inform you about the process result. Silent mode can be also activated by using the global hotkey "alt + s". This feature is extremely useful when you have to translate a text without losing focus on your work. Just mark and copy the text, activate silent mode and copy the result from clipboard into in your text.

= Right click on tray icon opens extended options:

Exit

About

Help (this file)

Language Selection

Settings:

Show clipboard text in a tooltip window

This will display the clipboard content neatly "line feeded" in a balloon window near the "Replace" button, so you will be enabled to manage your clipboard. The tooltip will be hidden when Rosetta Stone is not active or minimized. East European and Asian characters (although correct in clipboard) cannot be displayed in a tooltip window due to AutoIt limitations.

Macro or "Embedded Mode"

This will create a "Rosetta Stone Button" in the title bar of your currently active window. Just mark (no need to copy) the text you want to be translated and click the Rosetta Stone button (or hit the hotkey "alt + v"). The translation will be put to clipboard and displayed in a balloon window. You can copy the result into your document or just use it to read foreign texts (e.g. in Internet Explorer). The tooltip will be hidden when you move or change your active window. This mode is an extremly useful combination of silent and tooltip mode. Note: the Macro will disappear from the screen if there is no active window.

Just give it a try translating a chapter of this help file !

Set InterTran as default engine

This will set InterTran as default engine whenever possible (instead of imTranslator). See below for further information (Advanced options).

Silent Mode translation (see above)

Minimize Rosetta Stone

Restore ( and activate ) Rosetta Stone

3. Hotkeys:

========

All functions are "hotkeyed" by "alt" + the corresponding underlined character. All hotkeys will be deactivated while Rosetta Stone is not active or minimized ( with the exception of Silent Mode "alt + s", Macro Button "alt + v" and Restore "alt + r" (in German "alt + w"), which will be globally available ! ).

4. The advanced options:

==================

Between the two edit boxes you will find the possibility to select the translation engine directly. For normal use there will be no need to change the default, but sometimes you might find it useful to compare the results. Each engine has two radio buttons in order to enable the selection of each step in case of intertranslation.

imTranslator:

The default engine for translations between German, English, French, Italian, Dutch, Portugese, Spanish, Greek, Russian, Japanese (Hiragana), Korean and Chinese. Very fast and reliable translations, large texts will be translated with high precision and huge vocabulary. Does not support non-Latin characters.

altavista BabelFish:

Apparently the same engine as imTranslator, but the interface supports the input of non-Latin characters and offers some more direct combinations. Slower server, so there seems to be no need to choose it unless Rosetta Stone does it.

InterTran:

Offers nearly any translation combination (lots of them direct) with the exception of Japanese (Hiragana), Korean and Chinese. Automatically uses English transit when direct translation is not available. Attempts to detect possible input language on receiving wrong input and returns the supposed translation instead of an error message. Supports input of non-Latin characters. Returns alternative translations for every word in texts with less than 25 words (only Latin characters can be displayed due to AutoIt limitations).

Disadvantages: slow server, low precision of translation (selects always the first translation alternative), no grammatical ability, no reliability on bigger texts. Occasionally returns senseless letters due to bad HTML script. The engine is very useful on single word translations and limited texts. Best use it as a dictionary, though poor vocabulary.

5. Troubleshooting:

==============

On translating to non-Latin characters (East-European and Asian languages) the output box display might be interferred by "Microsoft Script Debugger". The corresponding process is named "vs7jit.exe". On this event confirm to open the debugger, go to Extras => Options => Debugger and deactivate debugging.

In case Rosetta Stone freezes and is not accessible any more it can always be terminated by clicking the tray "Exit".

I am obliged to mention that the implemented round buttons are taken from the following website:

>>> http://www.graphics-4free.com/bullets2.html <<<.

This site provides free graphics and I recommend a visit.

The first start of Rosetta Stone may take a few minutes to connect to the translation services and download some necessary image files. Keep calm.

Rosetta Stone will always check the internet connection on starting. Rosetta Stone is ready when the green light appears. Please configurate your firewall.

6. The Rosetta Stone Project:

=====================

Rosetta Stone is supposed to develop into a universal translating tool. Thus I will go on searching the web and adding available services, languages and combinations. I appreciate any contribution to this project. Please inform me if you know any recommendable translation service in the net or if you feel able to add a further interface language (just translate the "$Words[2]" line). You will be mentioned in the credits list. Thank you.

I recommend downloading the entire "RosettaStone.exe" in order to obtain a more beautiful icon than the AutoIt default one. You will need this icon for the "Rosetta Stone Button". I guarantee that the .exe does not contain malicious functions and is exactly the same as the .au3. If you doubt you can leave the .exe untouched in the same folder just using the .au3 which will retrieve the Rosetta Stone icon from the .exe.

peace on earth jennico

i have to mention that the v2.0 is in some regards beta. occasionally there seem to be problems in macro mode and i could not test all the numerous combinations. please inform me about problems.

[autoit];===================================================

; Rosetta Stone v2.0 multilingual by jennico

Edited by jennico
Spoiler

I actively support Wikileaks | Freedom for Julian Assange ! | Defend freedom of speech ! | Fight censorship ! | I will not silence.OixB7.jpgDon't forget this IP: 213.251.145.96

Well, i cannot edit the first posting anymore.

so here are the download links:

Here you find the links for the newer v3.0

Posted Image

Edited by jennico
Spoiler

I actively support Wikileaks | Freedom for Julian Assange ! | Defend freedom of speech ! | Fight censorship ! | I will not silence.OixB7.jpgDon't forget this IP: 213.251.145.96

Hate to say it but I liked the old one better.

This version needs a complete rewrite of the GUI. It's way to crowded now.

Also something that probably only I will see since I'm having a router problem right now. If the router connection is a bit flakey the old version still works although somewhat slow. This version just hangs up.

I would also like to see an option to disable tray functionality entirely. I did notice that there is no tray options with this one.

I did a slight rewrite of your old code for my own use and I added a Menu with Options and Help

The help Menu just has your About function and the options was to disable the tray but I decided to just remove it instead.

That version works fine.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

no, it seems you did not give it a good and patient try. :)

the old functions are not changed from the old version. i just added the advanced buttons in the center. the old functionality is not touched in any way.

the gui is not overcrowded, there is only the possibility added to choose the engine. you don't have to use these options.

the tray function is just like before and i really can't imagine for what reasons it should be deleted. this is a really funny idea.

the program does not hang up, it just downloads some graphic files from the internet on start. you have to be a bit patient or better repair your router. if the program hangs up on start (which means, that your browser will hang up in the same way), it will return within to minutes with an error message and then work the same way as before.

i just want to mention that there are now 33 languages instead of 13, that should be a great improvement. of course you can rewrite the script and delete some features, but of course this is not what is was meant to be and i don't like it. i worked hard on every function to make it work.

j.

Spoiler

The images downloaded fine.

It's when I run the program. If it's already loaded and running before the connection problem starts then it's working as before. If the connection goes bad as the program starts then I can't do anything with it and Rosetta Stone just hangs.

I mistakenly said a router problem but I've already determined that it's not the router. I had it first in my wireless and I thought it was a router problem then but I've switched back to the wired router and the problem persists so it has something to do with a local network change I made a couple of weeks back. That's not your problem.

I appreciate the amount of work you went to with this program and It's very good. I just don't need the tray functionality so I removed it from my copy of your script. It has nothing to do with what we discussed earlier via PM. In fact I've scrapped that plan.

I'm only using it to translate text to and from 6 languages so the old version is fine for me. Others may want more languages.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

well, for me it does not hang up, but i can play a little bit with the code so it will start faster. the faulty line is:

$oIE=_IECreate("http://intertran.tranexp.com/Translate/result.shtml",0,0,1) (line189 or something). you can change the destination to www.google.com, but then the InterTran service won't be available...... :). so this connection enables the service and there should be no hanging problem on a proper internet connection.

i will see what i can do...

regarding the tray functions there are two important issues:

1. i designed the tray functions in order to keep control of Rosetta Stone in minimized or hidden mode.

2. the tray functions work on TraySetOnEvent and not on the GUIgetmsg() loop. this means that these options are always available, even when Rosetta Stone is occupied with translating. the gui itself is not accessible when the program is online. that's why.

but i will work on a 'Cancel' option for the tray.

don't forget the project... i want to develop it into a universal translator. in the web there are lots of single translating engines, but how mighty can be a program that collects them all with a click...... :)

and like before, i will add any of your suggestions and improve the script.

j. :P

Spoiler

hi gesller,

here i give you the original graphics so you can play around and make the icon sharper - well i thought i only need 32x32, but anyway.

cheers j.

Edited by jennico
Spoiler

@jennico

If I run your second example than I get these errors ?

>Running AU3Check (1.54.9.0)  params:  from:C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\beta
C:\_\Apps\AutoIT3\Apps\Translator\RosettaStone.au3(49,134) : ERROR: _IEErrorNotify() called with wrong number of args.
    _IEErrorNotify("Error","_IEPropertySet","$_IEStatus_GeneralError","Error Handler Not Registered - Check existance of error function")
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^
C:\PROGRA~1\AutoIt3\beta\Include\IE.au3(3502,36) : REF: definition of _IEErrorNotify().
Func _IEErrorNotify($f_notify = -1)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^
C:\_\Apps\AutoIT3\Apps\Translator\RosettaStone.au3(288,27) : WARNING: $WinActive: possibly used before declaration.
                WinActivate($WinActive)
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^
C:\_\Apps\AutoIT3\Apps\Translator\RosettaStone.au3(298,30) : WARNING: $PosActive: possibly used before declaration.
            If $pos[0]<>$PosActive[0] Or
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^
C:\_\Apps\AutoIT3\Apps\Translator\RosettaStone.au3(299,24) : WARNING: $ToolWindow: possibly used before declaration.
                WinMove($ToolWindow,
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^
C:\_\Apps\AutoIT3\Apps\Translator\RosettaStone.au3(307,18) : WARNING: $Icon1: possibly used before declaration.
        If $Msg=$Icon1 Or
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^
C:\_\Apps\AutoIT3\Apps\Translator\RosettaStone.au3(307,33) : WARNING: $Icon2: possibly used before declaration.
        If $Msg=$Icon1 Or $Msg=$Icon2 Then
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^
C:\_\Apps\AutoIT3\Apps\Translator\RosettaStone.au3(308,18) : WARNING: $Close: possibly used before declaration.
        If $Msg=$Close Or
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^
C:\_\Apps\AutoIT3\Apps\Translator\RosettaStone.au3(308,62) : WARNING: $GUI: possibly used before declaration.
        If $Msg=$Close Or ($Msg=$GUI_EVENT_CLOSE And WinActive($GUI)
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^
C:\_\Apps\AutoIT3\Apps\Translator\RosettaStone.au3(865,27) : WARNING: $GUIActiveX: possibly used before declaration.
    GUICtrlDelete($GUIActiveX)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^
C:\_\Apps\AutoIT3\Apps\Translator\RosettaStone.au3(635,60) : WARNING: $GUIActiveX: declared global in function only. Prefer top of file.
            Global $GUIActiveX=GUICtrlCreateObj($oIF,10,280,380,130)
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^
C:\_\Apps\AutoIT3\Apps\Translator\RosettaStone.au3 - 1 error(s), 9 warning(s)
!>AU3Check ended.rc:2
>Running:(3.2.9.0):C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\beta\autoit3.exe "C:\_\Apps\AutoIT3\Apps\Translator\RosettaStone.au3"

Regards

ptrex

possibly used before declaration.

sorry, what kind of error this should be ?

just run the script, there are no errors !

j.

the other thing is right:

_IEErrorNotify("Error","_IEPropertySet","$_IEStatus_GeneralError","Error Handler Not Registered - Check existance of error function")

should be

__IEErrorNotify("Error","_IEPropertySet","$_IEStatus_GeneralError","Error Handler Not Registered - Check existance of error function")

doesn't really matter. it is a relic from an earlier version, when i did not include ie.au3. now these lines can be deleted:

$sIEUserErrorHandler="_Error"

$oIEErrorHandler=ObjEvent("AutoIt.Error","_Error")

SetError(0)

If IsObj($oIEErrorHandler)=0 Then

__IEErrorNotify("Error","_IEPropertySet","$_IEStatus_GeneralError","Error Handler Not Registered - Check existance of error function")

SetError($_IEStatus_GeneralError,1)

EndIf

but really doesn't matter Edited by jennico
Spoiler

did you try it out ? i will give it a test.

j.

edit:

La lune s'est ouverte, à lin d'étoile doré les prangen au ciel lumineux et clairement. La forêt est noir et on se tait et des prés augmente merveilleusement le brouillard blanc. sais-tu combien le lin d'étoile es à la grande tente de ciel large ? Le dieu le monsieur l'a gezaehlet qu'aussi aucun ne en manquent-lui grand de nombre entier.

imtranslator

La lune s'est ouverte, à lin d'étoile doré les prangen au ciel lumineux et clairement. La forêt est noir et on se tait et des prés augmente merveilleusement le brouillard blanc. Sais-tu combien le lin d'étoile es à la grande tente de ciel large ? Le dieu le monsieur l'a gezählet qu'aussi aucun ne en manquent-lui grand de nombre entier.

google

it's the same engine, identical translations (and the same mistakes :)).

j.

Edited by jennico
Spoiler

So what ?

No bugs, no comments, no proposals ? be free to ask.

working on v2.1 with slovak, vietnamese, hindi, arabic, catalan, esperanto and more.

j. :)

Edited by jennico
Spoiler