Minimize to tray (yet another one)?

Boy, tons of messages on the board re this issue but only one not dealing with a GUI and that one message re an APP didn't address the need to minimize a specific app to the tray.

I have a new task scheduler that comes attached to an analog clock that resides on the screen. Though transparent, the clock part is a pain in the butt esp. since I only need the scheduler part. I have a freeware that will minimize any program to the tray by hitting control or alt or something while right-clicking on the minimize button on any program, but the clock has no minimize button <g>, so it won't work on this one.

I've looked up everything I could find in the AI help file, too, re tray functions but didn't see anything that I recognized would do this. I'm hoping that it's a simple question of minimizing a process, in this case ThClock.exe, to the tray. Can it be done?

Thanks. Nearing the end of all the issues related to this new scheduler on my pendrive <sigh>. Thank goodness for AI to work around deficiencies in programs presumable portable which aren't. This latest so-called portable is just another standalone. But with AI scripts I should manage very well with it. After being rotated at 4 different desks over a 3 1/2 week period, now more than ever need to have a pendrive scheduling solution! <g>

Cheers. :)

Hmm... For example you would like to take an application like Notepad, minimize Notepad so its not on the taskbar but to have the Notepad icon in the tray. I would imagine this would involve using WinSetState() to hide Notepad and using an au3 gui that could represent itself as the mimized tray version of Notepad. Interesting idea for sure. Not sure exactly how involved this would be, but I think it is possible. Let's see what I come up with... bbl.

Hi. Interesting. Minimizing Notepad to the tray, I think, would be different than just doing that to a standard app, no? I mean, with Notepad one would have it in the tray to keep opening it to perhaps start a text file whenever one needed to. I'm wondering if a script to min a regular app that one needn't open the rest of the day would be a bit different (?).

I'd couple the minimize to tray syntax with launching syntax to automate the entire process (launching I do know how to do <g>). So ThClock.exe, the scheduler, would be launched and then minimized to the tray since I don't require an analog clock on the screen. I currently have it minimized to the taskbar which the app _can_ do, I just need to know if there is syntax to minimize a specific app such as this, and not a GUI like everyone here seems to need, to the tray <vbg>. In this case, it would just be to min to tray ThClock.exe.

Cheers. :)

I use an app called "TrayIt!": http://www.teamcti.com/trayit/trayit.htm

Is that the kind of thing you're talking about?

Yes. I use Wonderful Icon and it's great. But I'm hoping for an AI solution as I could write a script to launch it then minimize to tray that I'd set to be invoked when I get to the office. PStart, an excellent portable launcher specially designed to work with thumb drives, has the ability to launch apps upon opening so when I launch PStart, it could be set to automatically start ThroughClock, a task sheduler/reminder program via an AI compiled script.

Thanks. :)

Found it, found it (I think). I learned something new earlier this morning and just now, that seeped into my mind as a possible solution if I modified what I learned somewhat. I'm not sure this is the correct way to do this, but the solution below has worked so far. Further testing over time will show if it will always do the job. Something a bit off the wall; the app doesn't exactly have a window, but minimizing it via AI code has sent it to the tray each time so far <crossing fingers> ...

#NoTrayIcon     ; AutoIt's icon doesn't show in systray

ShellExecute(@ScriptDir & "\ThClock.exe")
WinWait("ThroughClock")
WinSetState ("ThroughClock", "", @SW_MINIMIZE)

The reason it's not apparent what to do is because this app just doesn't have a minimize button. It's a transparent clock that sits on the screen on top of other windows and even the options box doesn't have a minimize. But window spy revealed that it did have a title after all. Weird. But like I said, it has worked every time I tested so far.

But if anyone comes up with something more orthodox and better, pls let me know. :)