screencap broken

ashley

here my script its meant to take a pic of the screen

#Include <A3LClipBoard.au3>
#Include <A3LScreenCap.au3>
$counter = 000

HotKeySet("{PrintScreen}", "PicFunc")
HotKeySet("{ESC}", "ExitFunc")

SplashTextOn("ScreenCap", "Starting ScreenCap...", 200, 50)
Sleep(1000)
SplashOff()

While 1
WEnd

Func PicFunc()
    $counter =+1
    _Clip_Empty()
    $sFileName = @ScriptDir & "\" & @MON & @MDAY & @HOUR & @MIN &"\Picture" & $counter & ".bmp"
    _ScreenCap_Capture($sFileName)
    _Clip_SetData($sFileName)
    Sleep(100)
SplashTextOn("ScreenCap", "Picture taken", 200, 50)
Sleep(1000)
SplashOff()
EndFunc

Func ExitFunc()
    Exit
EndFunc

thanks

• Moderators

$hBitmap =     _ScreenCap_Capture($sFileName)
    _Clip_SetData($hBitmap, $CF_BITMAP)
Although, your example doesn't make much sense to me if you are naming the file every minute, but checking it every second.

Edited by SmOke_N

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Outside of what SmOke_N pointed out, here's what I think is wrong with your script.

1. need to put a Sleep() in your While...WEnd otherwise your CPU will be hate'n life

2. You're asking the script to create the .bmp in a directory that doesn't exist. You need to create the directory first or drop it.

3. the operator should be += 1

Here's the code in case what I said doesn't make sense :)

While 1
    Sleep(40)
WEnd

Func PicFunc()
    $counter += 1
    _Clip_Empty ()
    DirCreate(@ScriptDir & "\" & @MON & @MDAY & @HOUR & @MIN)
    $sFileName = @ScriptDir & "\" & @MON & @MDAY & @HOUR & @MIN &"\Picture" & $counter & ".bmp"
    MsgBox(0, '', $sFileName)
    _ScreenCap_Capture ($sFileName)
    _Clip_SetData ($sFileName)
    Sleep(100)
    Sleep(1000)
    SplashOff()
EndFunc   ;==>PicFunc

• Moderators

Outside of what SmOke_N pointed out, here's what I think is wrong with your script.

1. need to put a Sleep() in your While...WEnd otherwise your CPU will be hate'n life

2. You're asking the script to create the .bmp in a directory that doesn't exist. You need to create the directory first or drop it.

3. the operator should be += 1

Here's the code in case what I said doesn't make sense :)

While 1
    Sleep(40)
WEnd

Func PicFunc()
    $counter += 1
    _Clip_Empty ()
    _Clip_SetData ($sFileName)
    Sleep(100)
    Sleep(1000)
    SplashOff()
EndFunc   ;==>PicFunc
Take a look at Edit2 of mine... Also, the directory does exist because he's using @ScriptDir ;)

Nice catch on +=1, I didn't catch it.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Take a look at Edit2 of mine... Also, the directory does exist because he's using @ScriptDir ;)

Nice catch on +=1, I didn't catch it.

Based on timestamps looks like my post and your edit were a photo finish!

I respectfully disagree that the directory existed. If you take the original script and run it, you'll see that the .bmp file is not created in the @ScriptDir. Likewise you'll not that SciTE4AutoIt3 does not report any errors in the console after the script ends. How I came to the conclusion that it was the "missing" directory causing the problem, was by inserting a MsgBox() after $sFileName. In fact that MsgBox() is still in my original post that I left in by accident.

_Clip_Empty ()

Now I could be wrong in my troubleshooting methodology, or there could be another way of getting the original script to work without using DirCreate(). The important part is that the script should now work with either solution. I say that without having testing your code in your 2nd Edit. I'm more than confident your extra _ScreenCap_Capturex() is a smarter more hi-tech way of doing this. Just glad I could offer a lo-tech method :).

• Moderators

No, you were right, all I saw was @ScriptDir... didn't look to see if he was trying to put that in another directory.

Edit

Edited by SmOke_N

• Moderators

@ssubirias3

Your method won't put the screen shot in the clipboard... will it?

@SmOke_N - np on the mix up, as much as I like details there's been plenty of times you and others have shown me the flaw in my logic! About your clipboard question, I don't know to be honest. This is the first time I've ever seen A3LClipBoard.au3 or A3LScreenCap.au3. I personally haven't had a need to use or study those UDFs, so I'm not sure what they are doing. I just saw those 3 points I mentioned earlier and that the end goal was to create a .bmp file (screenshot) in a specific directory.

I would guess from the name A3LClipBoard.au3 that the UDF uses the clipboard at some point. Now whether the UDF keeps the image in the clipboard buffer to allow pasting of the image into another app like WordPad or MSPaint, I didn't test or try that. I didn't see it as part of the scope or requirements ashley put out. And if your additional code accomplishes this, well that's why I said

... your extra _ScreenCap_Capturex() is a smarter more hi-tech way of doing this ...