I'm missing something re functions or

Hi Gurus of Help and Advice!

I have been humiliated :"> too many times when I think I might have found a bug to only find out that I really did not understand some syntax subtlety , so I am not going to call this one a bug, even though it has been bugging me like crazy.

Please refer to the simplified code below. I stumbled across this when I was commenting out blocks of code tring to pinpoint the syntax error.

If I run Scite syntax check, it tells me that the function SendAlert is not defined. Now, move the comment block

#cs

dummy stuff

#ce

to directly before the SendAlert function call instead of directly after it, and there is no error reported by Scite.

NOTE: if you just put in a simply comment like ";dummy stuff" instead of #cs/dummy stuff/#ce combination before the function call, you still get the syntax error.

I am at a loss. Took me hours to narrow it down this far. I am a bit uncomfortable with my understanding of dimensioning inside functions, so maybe I am doing something wrong inside SendAlert, but I do not see how that could cause this strange syntax error. But I have used this function in other code, so that doesn't seem likely.

Bottom line:

what am I doing wrong that moving the dummy comment block fixes?

Best Regards

one of the other Larrys

;Page Update and Transfer program*************************************
Opt ("MustDeclareVars", 1)      ;0=no, 1=require pre-declare        *************not default
Dim $UFSOUND = "C:\Documents and Settings\Lawrence Godfrey\My Documents\urgent.wav"
Dim $BWF = "WINDOW NOT OPEN, open it and press OK"

SendAlert($BWF, $UFSOUND, 0)      
#cs     
dummy stuff
#ce  

Exit
;===================================================================================================

========

Func SendAlert($MSG, $SOUND, $NOTCRITICAL) ;displays MSG, plays sound, requires input from user if error
   Local $TITLE = "Book Info Transfer Script", $TIMER = 5, $RESPONDED = 0, $FLAG, $MSG, $SOUND, $NOTCRITICAL
   SoundSetWaveVolume(100)
   If $NOTCRITICAL Then
      $FLAG = 64
   Else
      $FLAG = 48
   EndIf

SoundPlay($SOUND, 1) 
   $RESPONDED = MsgBox($FLAG, $TITLE, $MSG, $TIMER)

If $NOTCRITICAL Then ;iF NOT critical, then go back after box has timed out or user acknowledged info
      SoundSetWaveVolume(20) 
      Return
   EndIf

While $RESPONDED = -1 ;critical, so keep bugging user until box OK button is pushed.
      SoundPlay($SOUND, 1) 
      $RESPONDED = MsgBox($FLAG, $TITLE, $MSG, $TIMER)
   Wend
   SoundSetWaveVolume(20)
EndFunc  ;==>SendAlert

I'm, Lovin' IT, X

Larry,

It seems that you're using an old version of Au3check created by Tylo (thanks Tylo!) that came with the Scite installer. I had Au3check v1.00 and was able to recreate your error. I upgraded to latest version of Au3check to v1.12, and the error went away. You can download the latest version of Au3check from here:

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3169

Or you can download the latest version of Scite installer created by JdeB (thanks JdeB!) from here:

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3802

Hope this helps!

=MX=

Edited by midiaxe