How to change a value in an Array

Hey,

I have an two dimensional array where I have stored some values in. (in this case the reference to Excel cells)

How do I change the value of an entry in the array.

suppose that string A36 is stored in array[0][1], how do I change that string to let's say C36?

thx,

The more you learn, the less you know.

Hey,

I have an two dimensional array where I have stored some values in. (in this case the reference to Excel cells)

How do I change the value of an entry in the array.

suppose that string A36 is stored in array[0][1], how do I change that string to let's say C36?

thx,

$C36 = "Wherever you got it from"

$array[0][1] = $C36

:)

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

Thanks for the megafast reply.

When working with excel A1 ranges, how do I increase the column?

Once again, if I have the cell range A36 stored in the array, how do I change it to B36?

this is just an example the value could also be C55 or G67 or whatever.

thx

Once again, if I have the cell range A36 stored in the array, how do I change it to B36?

thx

Assuming that A1 = $array[1][1], A2 = $array[1][2], ... A36 = $array[1][36]

Then, $array[2][36] = $array[1][36].

[font="Georgia"]Chances are, I'm wrong.[/font]HotKey trouble?Stringregexp GuideAutoIT Current Version

Assuming that A1 = $array[1][1], A2 = $array[1][2], ... A36 = $array[1][36]

Then, $array[2][36] = $array[1][36].

That's just it, I don't know what the exact value in the array is. I do a search in an excel worksheet for a certain unique value. The result is stored in an array and I know that the result is stored in $Finds[1][0].

How do I change that value with one or more columns.

If the result is C34 I want to put a certain value in the cell, for example D34 (or E34 or G34)

How do I change that C34 to for example D34 (or E34 or G34)?

Edited by gertsolo

thx

Well, by convention, a 2D array is usually [$row][$col], so A1 would be [0][0] or [1][1], depending on if you use zero-based or one-based arrays. Assuming one-based arrays for the moment, A1 would be [1][1], A36 would be [1][36], B36 would be [2][36], C55 would be [3][55], and G67 would be [7][67].

Note: All arrays are really zero-based, but you can ignore the [0][0] cells by convention in many instances. When declaring a new array, however, the 0-elements must be counted. So, if G67 is to be the highest cell in a 2D 1-based array, you would have to declare it with: Dim $array[8][68].

To walk column 36 of all rows would be:

For $x = 1 To Ubound($array) -1 
      ConsoleWrite("[" & $x & "][36] = " & $array[$x][36] & @LF)
NextoÝ÷ Ù:0jYW(駲룷¥u·ºÚ"µÍÜ    ÌÍÞHHÈXÝ[
    ÌÍØ^KHLHÛÛÛÛUÜ]J    ][ÝÖÌ×VÉ][ÝÈ [È ÌÍÞ  [È ][Ý×HH    ][ÝÈ  [È ÌÍØ^VÌ×VÉÌÍÞH  [ÈB^

Did that help any to clarify?

;)

Edit: Dratted forum editor bug... :)

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

It sure did PsaltyDS,

but I think I have asked my question the wrong way.

The value stored in $array[1][0] is let's say C34 but it could also easily be D67.

That was the result of a cellsearch.

How do I change that value from let's say from C34 to E34. I want to change the column from C to E, or from D to F.

That's just it, I don't know what the exact value in the array is. I do a search in an excel worksheet for a certain unique value. The result is stored in an array and I know that the result is stored in $Finds[1][0].

If the result is C34 I want to put a certain value in the cell, for example D34 (or E34 or G34)

Are you using Locodarwin's ExcelCOM_UDF? Post the code snippet that gets you the searched for value. I suspect you can get the LOCATION of the searched for value vice the value itself, with a slightly different method. If that's what you're after.

Edit: i.e. _ExcelFindInRange() returns an array of matching cell addresses instead of the matching contents.

Edited by PsaltyDS

Are you using Locodarwin's ExcelCOM_UDF? Post the code snippet that gets you the searched for value. I suspect you can get the LOCATION of the searched for value vice the value itself, with a slightly different method. If that's what you're after.

Yup, that's the one I'm using. I'm using the _ExcelFindInRange function to get the result in an array. It is that result that I want to alter.

I want to know the matching cell address and want to alter that address so I can copy something to that address.

Edited by gertsolo

Are you trying to move the value to a different cell, or you're trying to change the value of a cell?

Keep in mind that C34 IS a cell, which in an array, $array[3][34] IS a cell.

Let's assume that I understand you correctly.

You found the value "Content of a Cell" in C34. Then you saved that value in a variable you call $Find[1][0].

According to what I understand, you want to place that value in D34? :)

If so, then you're doing this all wrong.

What you need to do is map your spreadsheet first by assigning each cell in your spreadsheet into an array.

Step 1: Save each cell into the $array variable using PsaltyDS' example. Either making A1 = $array[1][1] (1-based) or $array[0][0] (0-based)

Step 2: Your $array should match your spreadsheet. If your spreadsheet have A1 - G34, then you should have $array[7][34] (1-based) or $array[6][33] (0-based)

Step 3: You can then manipulate the values to your heart's content. ;)

EDIT: OR use that (Locodarwin's ExcelCOM_UDF) :P

Edited by aslani

[font="Georgia"]Chances are, I'm wrong.[/font]HotKey trouble?Stringregexp GuideAutoIT Current Version

Are you trying to move the value to a different cell, or you're trying to change the value of a cell?

Keep in mind that C34 IS a cell, which in an array, $array[3][34] IS a cell.

Let's assume that I understand you correctly.

You found the value "Content of a Cell" in C34. Then you saved that value in a variable you call $Find[1][0].

According to what I understand, you want to place that value in D34? :)

If so, then you're doing this all wrong.

What you need to do is map your spreadsheet first by assigning each cell in your spreadsheet into an array.

Step 1: Save each cell into the $array variable using PsaltyDS' example. Either making A1 = $array[1][1] (1-based) or $array[0][0] (0-based)

Step 2: Your $array should match your spreadsheet. If your spreadsheet have A1 - G34, then you should have $array[7][34] (1-based) or $array[6][33] (0-based)

Step 3: You can then manipulate the values to your heart's content. ;)

EDIT: OR use that (Locodarwin's ExcelCOM_UDF) :P

mmm,

maybe I'm not explaining myself to good, my bad guys.

let me break it down.

I have a spreadsheet with a bunch of columns with all the dates for each month.

I want to put a certain value next to each date.

What I do is a search for the correct date, I store that result (the cell location) in the array with the excelsearch.

Then I want to alter that value so I know where I have to copy the stuff I want to enter in the sheet.

The value stored in the array IS the cell address not the content I want to put in the cell.

Hope this clarifies a bit.

mmm,

let me break it down.

What I do is a search for the correct date, I store that result (the cell location) in the array with the excelsearch.

Then I want to alter that value so I know where I have to copy the stuff I want to enter in the sheet.

The value stored in the array IS the cell address not the content I want to put in the cell.

So after a search, your $Find array will have something like this?

$Find[$n_cell][$n_val] = [[$cell_location_1, $cell_value_1], [$cell_location_2, $cell_value_2], ...]

Edited by aslani

mmm,

let me break it down.

The result location array returned by _ExcelFindInRange() gives you the location in more than one format, you just pick one and use it:

Quoting the header in ExcelCOM_UDF for _ExcelFindInRange():

; Return Value(s): On Success - Returns a two dimensional array with addresses of matching cells. If no matches found, returns null string

; $array[0][0] - The number of found cells

; $array[x][0] - The address of found cell x in A1 format

; $array[x][1] - The address of found cell x in R1C1 format

; $array[x][2] - The row of found cell x as an integer

; $array[x][3] - The column of found cell x as an integer

So, if you want the location in A1 format it's in [x][0], if you want R1C1 format it's in [x][1], if you want the row and col as separate numbers they are in [x][2] and [x][3], respectively. Use the format you need and ignore the rest.

Locodarwin was pretty clever with his function inputs so _ExcelWriteCell() will accept any of those three formats to specify where to write:

Quoting the header in ExcelCOM_UDF for _ExcelWriteCell():

;===============================================================================

;

; Description: Write information to a cell on the active worksheet of the

; specified Excel object.

; Syntax: _ExcelWriteCell($oExcel, $sValue, $sRangeOrRow, $iColumn = 1)

; Parameter(s): $oExcel - Excel object opened by a preceding call to _ExcelBookOpen() or _ExcelBookNew()

; $sValue - Value to be written

; $sRangeOrRow - Either an A1 range, or an integer row number to write to if using R1C1

; $iColumn - The column to write to if using R1C1 (default = 1)

; Requirement(s): None

; Return Value(s): On Success - Returns 1

; On Failure - Returns 0 and sets @error on errors:

; @error=1 - Specified object does not exist

; @error=2 - Parameter out of range

; @extended=0 - Row out of range

; @extended=1 - Column out of range

; Author(s): SEO <locodarwin at yahoo dot com>

; Note(s): None

;

;===============================================================================

I hear ya loud and clear,but...

and really sorry for me being so slow or posing my question badly...

When I get the result, how do I alter it a bit? At the moment I'm working in A1 Format. Let's say the result of the search was D35. How do I alter it so it becomes F35 before I use it with _ExcelWriteCell():

cheers!

When I get the result, how do I alter it a bit? At the moment I'm working in A1 Format. Let's say the result of the search was D35. How do I alter it so it becomes F35 before I use it with _ExcelWriteCell():

cheers!

Why do you need to alter it if you can do;

_ExcelWriteCell($oExcel, "Some Value", 35, 6) ; F = 6

Per your example, if you found the date you want to edit in D35, why do you want to write in F35? :)

cheers!

You didn't specify the transformation used, but assuming from your example that it's just row+2, I would not use A1 format from [x][0]. Use the row and col numeric values in [x][2] and [x][3].

So it becomes: _ExcelWriteCell($oExcel, "New Data", $Find[$n][2] + 2, $Find[$n][3])

cheers!

After re-reading your post I think I now know what you're trying to do.

Example:

; this is the breakdown of your $Find array
$Find[0][0] = 1
$Find[1][0] = D35 ; A1 Format
$Find[1][1] = R35C4 ; R1C1 Format
$Find[1][2] = 4 ; Column
$Find[1][3] = 35 ; Row

$add_string = "My Birthday"
$get_date = _ExcelReadCell($oExcel, $Find[1][3], $Find[1][2])

_ExcelWriteCell($oExcel, "" & $get_date & @CRLF & $add_string, 35, 6)

I hope that's it. :)

After re-reading your post I think I now know what you're trying to do.

Example:

; this is the breakdown of your $Find array
$Find[0][0] = 1
$Find[1][0] = D35 ; A1 Format
$Find[1][1] = R35C4 ; R1C1 Format
$Find[1][2] = 4 ; Column
$Find[1][3] = 35 ; Row

$add_string = "My Birthday"
$get_date = _ExcelReadCell($oExcel, $Find[1][3], $Find[1][2])

_ExcelWriteCell($oExcel, "" & $get_date & @CRLF & $add_string, 35, 6)

I hope that's it. :)

Row first, then column. Row is in [x][2], column in [x][3]. Also reversed in your _ExcelWriteCell().

;)

You didn't specify the transformation used, but assuming from your example that it's just row+2, I would not use A1 format from [x][0]. Use the row and col numeric values in [x][2] and [x][3].

So it becomes: _ExcelWriteCell($oExcel, "New Data", $Find[$n][2] + 2, $Find[$n][3])

Yup, that's it, so darn easy,

thanks a lot everybody for the help.

Going for my next challenge (I so Luv autoIt)