Loops then...dies?

Ok, I simply wanted to make a small app that would scan for internet explorer and kill it (I have adware I knew i was installing but now it's uninstalled but sometimes still works >_>) I use firefox to browse the interner so I don't need IE for anything, but I don't want to uninstall it and I tried to overwrite the exe with a quick self closing app but it just overwrites it with the old IE every 5 seconds. So here's my source...

TrayTip ( "Status: Ready", "Internet Explorer killer is now scanning for Internet Explorer and is ready to kill it.", 10 );
    sleep(5000);
    call("IExploreCheck");

Func IExploreCheck();
        $PID = ProcessExists("iexplore.exe");
        if $PID then
            call("IExploreKill")
        Else
            call("IExploreWait")
            EndIf;
    EndFunc;

Func IExploreKill();
        $PKill = ProcessClose("iexplore.exe");
        If $PKill = 1 then TrayTip ( "Status: IExplore Killed", "Internet Explorer has been detected and has been immdeiately closed.", 10 );
        sleep(2000);
        call("IExploreCheck");
    EndFunc;

Func IExploreWait();
        sleep(2000);
        call("IExploreCheck");
        EndFunc;

And yes, I know I don't need the ; after everything, it's habit from C++ >_>. Basically this app when compiled with aut2exe will run for a while, but in task manager it shows its mem increasing slowly and steadily, like 16/second, until it closes after a certain amount, which ends up being like 2 minutes. I figure this is a infinte loop protection feature of AutoIt 3, can anyone help me get past it? Why does its mem keep going up? I can't go much faster than 200 millisecond wait because then it also starts eating up CPU which I can't have. Help please? I know this is a very newbie question, and the search isn't helpful because there are so many unrelated posts containing the keywords...

Edited by GMXeon

I think your in a recursive loop - Maximum depth of recursive function calls: 384 levels

Im not quite sure thats the problem, but have a try with this.

TrayTip ( "Status: Ready", "Internet Explorer killer is now scanning for Internet Explorer and is ready to kill it.", 10 );

Func IExploreCheck();
        if ProcessExists("iexplore.exe") then
            $PKill = ProcessClose("iexplore.exe");
             If $PKill = 1 Then
                 TrayTip ( "Status: IExplore Killed", "Internet Explorer has been detected and has been immdeiately closed.", 10 );
             EndIf
        EndIf
    EndFunc

While 1
        sleep(2000);
        IExploreCheck();
   WEnd
Edited by Shevilie

Start here if you are new Valuater's AutoIT 1-2-3Looking for an UDF - Look hereDo you need to do it twice - Autoit

I see why the RAM uses increases, it's because you kept on calling functions within eachother.

This could be your solution;

While 1
    If ProcessExists("iexplore.exe") Then
        $PKill = ProcessClose("iexplore.exe")
        If $PKill = 1 then TrayTip ( "Status: IExplore Killed", "Internet Explorer has been detected and has been immdeiately closed.", 10 )
    EndIf
WEnd

[font="Georgia"]Chances are, I'm wrong.[/font]HotKey trouble?Stringregexp GuideAutoIT Current Version

Hi,

#NoTrayIcon

HotKeySet("!{ESC}", "Close") ;Alt + Esc to quit

Global $n = 0

While 1
    ToolTip ("Number Of IE Kills: " & $n & @LF & "Alt + Esc to quit", -1, -1,  "IE Killer Active.")
    ProcessWait("iexplore.exe")
    ProcessClose("iexplore.exe")
    ProcessWaitClose("iexplore.exe", 250)
    $n += 1
WEnd

Func Close()
    Exit
EndFuncoÝ÷ Øay-ìÊØ^r^Á«"·¬mõ®'§vìȶ+b·¥åÊZ(¦'íèÆh­êk¡Ç¬²+(¥éÞvn±§]yÖ¤Y¢éí@u×j-ì­¡ë[~Ç-¢«¢´(^z»v+Rëâ'²V§è¶'Ê¢Øaj÷ºÚ"µÍÌÍÔÚ[HØÙÜÐÛÜÙJ ][ÝÚY^ÜK^I][ÝÊBY   ÌÍÔÚ[HH[
Correct me if I'm wrong but..

ProcessClose() doesn't have a return or so it says in the help file...

So checking if $PKill = 1 seems sorta redundant... am I missing something there?.. lol

Edited by smashly

Correct me if I'm wrong but..

ProcessClose() doesn't have a return or so it says in the help file...

So checking if $PKill = 1 seems sorta redundant... am I missing something there?.. lol

While 1
        If $PKill = 1 then TrayTip ( "Status: IExplore Killed", "Internet Explorer has been detected and has been immdeiately closed.", 10 )
        MsgBox(0,"", $PKill)
    EndIf
WEnd

Despite what's written in Helpfile, $PKill returns 1 when ProcessClose() succeeded. If the check is not in place, you'll receive the TrayTip() that it was a success even if ProcessClose() failed.

[font="Georgia"]Chances are, I'm wrong.[/font]HotKey trouble?Stringregexp GuideAutoIT Current Version

Why not spend your efforts fixing the problem instead of the symptoms? I think you'd be better off getting rid of the malware on your system instead of writing scripts to close IE whenever it opens. Maybe that's just me...

I do agree with HeffeD view , but original the question was to fix a loop in a script.

While 1
        MsgBox(0,"", $PKill)
    EndIf
WEnd

Despite what's written in Helpfile, $PKill returns 1 when ProcessClose() succeeded. If the check is not in place, you'll receive the TrayTip() that it was a success even if ProcessClose() failed.

ProcessClose() will also return 1 if it fails , so it sorta blows your theory out the water about showing a tooltip only on success.

since $PKill will always equal 1 in your loop along with your cpu usage will always be maxed out using your code as it is...

Cheers