Problem with AutoItSC.bin

AlanR

Somehow... out of the blue... I'm getting this message each time I try to build/ compile any script:

Error: Unable to read in AutoIt stub file. (AutoItSC.bin).

Can I reinstate this file, or do I need to reinstall AutoIt?

Alan

Unless the file was deleted, it may have been corrupted. Try a reinstall and see if that fixes it.

[font="Verdana"]People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it. - George Benard Shaw[/font]

Unless the file was deleted, it may have been corrupted. Try a reinstall and see if that fixes it.

OK, just tried that and replaced the 504KB file with a 373KB known "good" copy v3.2.0.1. Now I can build and compile, but get an "unable to open the script file" error. My Aut2Exe is v3.2.8.1 - maybe I'm mixing incompatible versions?

Alan

• Developers

OK, just tried that and replaced the 504KB file with a 373KB known "good" copy v3.2.0.1. Now I can build and compile, but get an "unable to open the script file" error. My Aut2Exe is v3.2.8.1 - maybe I'm mixing incompatible versions?

Alan

just reinstall and when it disapears again you probably need to check your AV for false positives.

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

just reinstall and when it disapears again you probably need to check your AV for false positives.

Thanks Jos. That seemed to do the trick. It does raise a question though. I thought that au3 complied executables operated independently, without any dependencies e.g. on some other box. Why then, would such an executable hiccup when an au3 .bin file had been corrupted?

Alan

• Developers

"Compiled" autoit3 scripts are really your tokenized script and a runtime module together wrapped in an executable file which is then of course an independent program. Some Antivirus vendor take a shortcut and mark any autoit3script that contains the same runtime module as virus in stead of test for the script portion.

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

"Compiled" autoit3 scripts are really your tokenized script and a runtime module together wrapped in an executable file which is then of course an independent program. Some Antivirus vendor take a shortcut and mark any autoit3script that contains the same runtime module as virus in stead of test for the script portion.

Thanks Jos. Still confused as to how it happened though. After reinstall I ran all of my AV/ A-Malware programs over the whole system. None pointed to anything at all associated with AutoIt ????

Alan

It appears though that today's update of AVG Free Edition. Fixes this false positive.

Generally, that happens when some major client/customer has a script-kiddie sneak something by and then raises hell with the AV company. The AV company then releases the "quick fix".

We, as a community, need to be aware of this and when our programs start getting dinged by the AV company, start by filing false positive reports, including copies of source and compiled scripts and direct their code-monkeys to the AU3 homepage.

AVG is notorious for zapping AutoIt's .bin stub and compiled scripts on a regular basis.

Avast.com's software does occasionally, but not as bad as say ... Norton.

I've had Norton destroy my AutoIt and compiled scripts on at least five occasions and Avast at least twice. It seems to happen at least once with each upgrade that Jon releases. Depends on how fast the script-kiddies can realize the full potential of any new functions to wreak havoc.

It's rather upsetting, since I'm trying to get this wonderful language integrated into our corporation.

Lofting the cyberwinds on teknoleather wings, I am...The Blue Drache