Add/Remove Programs Window Usage

Joeb1

I am trying to utilize Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs to uninstall some software so I can reinstall it. I need to know a good approach to do this. I have figured out how to open the add/removed window directly but now need a reliable way to always access the correct program to remove.

I was first thinking of the following:

1) Get the window size

2) Locate the mouse position relative to the window size

3) Click it and then follow each window path etc. to remove it.

But it occurs to me that there are flows with this idea. What if another program gets loaded? Now my relative positions are wrong. I could maximize it first but then I would be worried about screen sizing.

So any ideas on a good approach and functions to use etc?

• Moderators

I am trying to utilize Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs to uninstall some software so I can reinstall it. I need to know a good approach to do this. I have figured out how to open the add/removed window directly but now need a reliable way to always access the correct program to remove.

I was first thinking of the following:

1) Get the window size

2) Locate the mouse position relative to the window size

3) Click it and then follow each window path etc. to remove it.

But it occurs to me that there are flows with this idea. What if another program gets loaded? Now my relative positions are wrong. I could maximize it first but then I would be worried about screen sizing.

So any ideas on a good approach and functions to use etc?

You'd be better off using the uninstall strings for locations and uninstall options.

In the registry that is.

Edited by SmOke_N
Clarity

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

You may want to take a look at Uninstall Apps in my signature.

Thanks! Did not even know about uninstall strings in registry. Not a programmer by trade, just know enough to be dangerous. I should be able to follow your code and fiugure it out. Saves me a lot of research time and experimentations. I appreciate it!!

• Moderators

Slightly off topic but Nirsoft make an Add / Remove programs alternative that is superb:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/myuninst.html

Thanks for the link. That gives me some ideas for improving mine.

Thanks! Did not even know about uninstall strings in registry. Not a programmer by trade, just know enough to be dangerous. I should be able to follow your code and fiugure it out. Saves me a lot of research time and experimentations. I appreciate it!!

You're welcome!