Just a note to say thanks to Jon and the devs

The other day, someone was having trouble doing what should have been a simple thing in a database, that just couldn't be done. Folks were talking about buying a third-party extension or even switching database platforms to solve the problem.

I whipped out my text editor, and in literally a couple of minutes had a working solution based on a short AutoIt script.

Result: I'm an instant genius! :)

Thanks for making Windows almost bearable!

I was going to rewrite 30 cobol programs but found autoit and was able to rewrite some in awk and have autoit3 control the rest of the programs.

My acting abilities have improved as I have autoit3 run programs and I pretend to do the work.

Lar. my "job" went to INDIA and here is the kicker. I still get Emails asking for advice on how to run the system. (how do you change the date on a VMS system?) anyway time for a career change /lawyer|walmart bagboy|politics/

I did my first OS install using Autoit and batch. It was for a thin Client Win95 image for around 500 devices that were gonna run Citrix. It was a life saver when it came to the time saved when building them.

Because of that work I got a promotion. So I have a great deal to thank Autoit and its creators. Just before I got the boot from my last job - I used to Autoit to aid in the AV solution for the company I worked for. I have used it for countless logon scripts and for various users in my new job and would not leave home without it.

I still code using the 2.64 version I'm afraid, only just had the guts to start using ver3. I'm from the old school of GOTO's I'm afraid and some of my code really is all over the place.

What I tend to do now is do something in ver 2.64 and then run the converter to see what the ver 3 of the code looks like. By doing that I am slowly learning how to code using ver 3. Its my way of learning and I will continue to use this forum as a guide and for the excellent advice I have got in the past.

Edited by MattX

• 1 year later...

just to throw another thanks on the pile, i heard about autoit v2 when i was just starting at my last job. When i was first starting at that job, i'd written some apps in VB to streamline my job duties which i presented to my boss as a way to increase productivity for everyone else in the call center. That got me promoted to be my boss's boss, and then i began working closely with the autoit department that told me about autoit. I'd already gone to school for programming, and had been writing code in several languages for a few years, but was really impressed at how easy it made working with windows, and how much shorter my programs were to write because of how well thought out it was. I initially just used v2 for games, and then when version 3 came out, i immediately started using it to create gui's for alot of the job functions of the people under me, making their jobs easier and more productive. The company that i worked for was bought and our office closed, but i was able to secure a better position for alot more money with another local company doing similar work immediately; my only demand in the interview was that i be allowed to install and use AutoIT. Luckily they agreed on that, because the software that they currently have in place is just crap. I've been able to use autoit to make up for alot of the shortcomings in their system; combining reports for multiple queues (their system forces you to have a seperate window for each queue you want to monitor), tracking data based on real time reports, the list goes on and on. Every day i receive some kind of praise for atleast one of the scripts i've made thanks to autoit. My only trade off on the new job is that i'm not allowed to participate on the forums as much as i used to. I can't at all from work, and home life gets in the way the rest of the time. B)

I knew jackshit programming before touching autoit. It's taken me to action scripting, php, javascript, html, lingo, some c++ and a few other languages.

And by the way, if I had someone like larry in the ranks in my office I'd make damn sure he'll never get the sack, it only goes to prove that some people at decision making level have no frigging idea about selecting their staff.

I can't really express all my gratitude to the team, just because I'll lack the words.

ivan

Edited by ivan

I have a semi-job type thing, but it's nothing to do with computers... If I could make AutoIt mow lawns, leaf blow driveways, clean up cardboard and sandrock, then I would ! B) But I've used it a lot in weekly computing... I just don't think I'm made for computers, I'm at my highest peak of knowledge for them, and it's a lot more than the teachers know at my HIGHSCHOOL, so I'm very happy :o

FootbaG

The day I was fired they called me for help. I said, hire me back or $100 per hour limit 2 hours - per call.

Lar

never heard from them again

That's funny. A similar thing happened to me. The company I was working for hired someone (East Indian with work Visa) to "help me with my job". Ask me to train him with EVERYTHING I know, then laid me off two weeks later. I knew what was happening, and "forgot" to mention certain key things about my job. They called me a couple days afterwards and asked that I come back to help fill in the blanks. I immediately told them I would do it, but for $120/hour as an independant consultant (1099). A small step up from my $40/hour job. =)

They had no choice, since it was business critical info. I made a nice $6k that week. And it FELT GOOD! And yes, I was using a lot of my "undocumented" AutoIT scripts to automate the db/web/file prepping/propping.

Thanks guys for making such an incredibly useful tool. It's not just a simple scripting language anymore, it's a very robust, essential tool to have for anyone working with automation.

Edited by TrystianSky

• 2 years later...