Transparent Edit Box?

How do you get an image background behing an edit box?

I tried GuiCtrlSetBkColor($GUI_BKCOLOR_TRANSPARENT) but then realized that only works on labels, then I tried GuiCtrlSetImage() which also didnt work.

Its not greatly important to my script but it would help making it look more professional, u know?

Thanks, MethodZero

[center]"When you look at old, classic games like Snake, you often put it off because it's such a simple game, but it's only when you actually try and create your own unique game from scratch, do you finally appreciate those games."[/center][center]Don't ask for answers if you haven't TRIED yet![/center][center]Most answers can be answered in the help file! Use it![/center]

You could use GUICtrlCreatePic() to lay an image over the edit control, but as soon as you start typing, that line will revert to the standard edit control background. In a multiline edit control this can be interesting, but not really very professional..

$gui = GUICreate("My GUI", 210, 210)
$edit = GUICtrlCreateEdit("", 5, 5, 200, 200, BitOr($ES_MULTILINE, $ES_WANTRETURN))
$pic = GUICtrlCreatePic("gary.png", 5, 5, 200, 200)

I'm just suscribing so that I can find out if anyone else knows how to do it; I can think of some good applications of this capability.

;o)

(or

nothing is foolproof to the sufficiently talented fool..

Not exactly the effect I wanted, but I can work with it, thanks, im still open for more suggestions though

Edited by MethodZero

[center]"When you look at old, classic games like Snake, you often put it off because it's such a simple game, but it's only when you actually try and create your own unique game from scratch, do you finally appreciate those games."[/center][center]Don't ask for answers if you haven't TRIED yet![/center][center]Most answers can be answered in the help file! Use it![/center]

No problem! :)

;o)

(or

[edit: argh! you edited your post! what happened to all the brilliant wonderful magic stuff? did you try to actually input some text? hehe]

Edited by corz

haha sorry, it was brilliant actually, I edited it out so it wouldnt seem like I resolved it and dont need help, it of course helped, infact even when you type thers no problem, just when you highlight stff then it goes white, hehe

Infact, I'l use your method until somone does have a solution to this

Edited by MethodZero

Hi,

another dodgey fidgity work around to having the edit transparent and having the main gui solid.

here

The example is with an input box , but could be done with any control...

Basically just add a pic to the main gui and it'll show through the transparent edit box.

You can do this, which doesn't completely work but it's close. It's copied from the forum somewhere and I just added a pic behind the edit.

#include <GUIConstants.au3>

$main = GUICreate('Transparency', 200, 55, -1, -1, -1, $WS_EX_TOPMOST)
$n=GUICtrlCreatePic(@Systemdir & "\oobe\images\mslogo.jpg",5,5, 190,20)
GuictrlSetState(-1, $GUI_DISABLE)

$Slider = GuiCtrlCreateSlider(5, 30, 190, 20,$TBS_NOTICKS + $TBS_BOTH)
GUICtrlSetLimit($Slider, 255, 1)
GUICtrlSetData($Slider, 255)
GUISetState()

$Child = GUICreate('Input', 188, 18, -1, -1, $WS_POPUP, $WS_EX_TOPMOST, $main)
$Input = GUICtrlCreateInput('Use slider to set transparency', -1, -1, 190, 20)
GUISetState()

$old = GUICtrlRead($Slider)

While 1
    $wpm = WinGetPos($main)
    $x = $wpm[0] + 9
    $y = $wpm[1] + 35
    WinMove($Child, "", $x, $y)
    If GUICtrlRead($Slider) <> $old Then
        WinSetTrans($Child, "", GUICtrlRead($Slider))
        $old = GUICtrlRead($Slider)
    EndIf   
    $msg = GUIGetMsg()
    Select
        Case $msg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            ExitLoop
    EndSelect
WEnd
Edited by martin
Serial port communications UDF Includes functions for binary transmission and reception.printing UDF Useful for graphs, forms, labels, reports etc.Add User Call Tips to SciTE for functions in UDFs not included with AutoIt and for your own scripts.Functions with parameters in OnEvent mode and for Hot Keys One function replaces GuiSetOnEvent, GuiCtrlSetOnEvent and HotKeySet.UDF IsConnected2 for notification of status of connected state of many urls or IPs, without slowing the script.

:)

That "somewhere" being, by an amazing coincedence, the post in smashly's link, two posts up!

We're getting closer, though.

;o)

(or

Surely I'm not expected to remember what happened more than one post ago? ;)
Serial port communications UDF Includes functions for binary transmission and reception.printing UDF Useful for graphs, forms, labels, reports etc.Add User Call Tips to SciTE for functions in UDFs not included with AutoIt and for your own scripts.Functions with parameters in OnEvent mode and for Hot Keys One function replaces GuiSetOnEvent, GuiCtrlSetOnEvent and HotKeySet.UDF IsConnected2 for notification of status of connected state of many urls or IPs, without slowing the script.

I love that about this forum, you can follow a train of suggestions and threads, until you eventually end up back to the first post! :)

I couldn't miss the opportunity to point that out, yer a good sport!

;o)

(or

Well, the only problem with that is when you MOVE the window, then the child doesnt move until you stop moving the parent... its a bit hard to mess with... espcecially when you've already written your script

ALSO, This is a bit of a problem too, because not only the input box is transparent, but also the text, I want my edit box to look as if your writing over an image instead of the plain white background

Edited by MethodZero