Autoit under Wine/Linux

Anteaus

Anyone done experiments in this direction?

The script-compiler seems to work OK.

With scripts themselves, I find that some things work, but others don't. In particular, GUI dialogs don't seem to display but msgboxes do. Scripts that do background tasks 'silently' seem to work OK.

I haven't even considered it. Windows is... windows... and Linux is definately not Windows. I have, however, thought about maybe taking 5 minutes of my time and looking for an application automation system for Linux... but that really is just a thought. I've recently moved, so I spend most of my time with windows because that is what work runs.

I ran AutoIt and SciTE under WINE on SuSE (9.x, I think it was). I worked OK, but the GUIs came up a little odd, and the context help didn't work in SciTE. There have been updates to WINE since then, and it might be better now. Trivia: WINE emulates the registry and all the RegRead/RegWrite/etc. functions worked perfectly! (Win98 style registry at the time.)

If you want a VB-like scripting language under Linux, check out GAMBAS: GAMBAS Almost Means BASic

GAMBAS is GPL'd and works with the Qt libraries (Gtk modules coming soon). It follows the full Visual BASIC object oriented model more that AutoIt (which is more VBScript-like, I think).

Can't claim any experience. I just got a book on it yesterday, and expect to play with it this weekend to see what's up.

I found a book titled Beginners's Guide to GAMBAS. Borders claimed to have it in stock, but then couldn't produce it, and then told me it was unavailable from their source for unspecified reasons. Barnes and Nobel told me correctly that they didn't have it but could order it for delivery to my house. I ordered it Saturday and got it Wednesday. Looking forward to checking it out.

:)

Edited by PsaltyDS
Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

I ran AutoIt and SciTE under WINE on SuSE (9.x, I think it was). I worked OK, but the GUIs came up a little odd, and the context help didn't work in SciTE. There have been updates to WINE since then, and it might be better now. Trivia: WINE emulates the registry and all the RegRead/RegWrite/etc. functions worked perfectly! (Win98 style registry at the time.)

If you want a VB-like scripting language under Linux, check out GAMBAS: GAMBAS Almost Means BASic

GAMBAS is GPL'd and works with the Qt libraries (Gtk modules coming soon). It follows the full Visual BASIC object oriented model more that AutoIt (which is more VBScript-like, I think).

Can't claim any experience. I just got a book on it yesterday, and expect to play with it this weekend to see what's up.

I found a book titled Beginners's Guide to GAMBAS. Borders claimed to have it in stock, but then couldn't produce it, and then told me it was unavailable from their source for unspecified reasons. Barnes and Nobel told me correctly that they didn't have it but could order it for delivery to my house. I ordered it Saturday and got it Wednesday. Looking forward to checking it out.

:)

Heard of it, haven't played much with it. Maybe in the future ;)

Autoit works pretty good in Ubuntu...

I have moved to Ubuntu 2 months ago and I have no a native program language I'm comfortable in Linux... so I still program in Autoit...

WINE has been improved in a way that Google's Picasa works in WINE so I think the 90% of programs should work...

No objects and only automation in another WINE windows...

Autoit is a good alternative to keep programming in Linux too!!

Ed