reconnecting to the internet

magaf

This will disconnect, but there is no way to ensure getting a new IP address. DHCP pulls the IP addresses from a pool and if the one you had before you disconnected isn't taken then it is likely you will get the same one again.

A way to release your current IP and get a new one (not necisarily not the same one) is to use ipconfig in winxp/2k. This will make it so you don't have to include the 3rd party application.

*** Matt @ MPCS

Yes, ipconfig can release your current ip and get a new one. Read the command line parameters to figure out how. I think there is also a script in the Scripts and Scraps section that shows this used in a script, do a search if you need help with it.

*** Matt @ MPCS

• Developers

i now saw the ipconfig /renew but i dont know where to see the adapter name as if i dont put any i get an error

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ipconfig /all will show all current nic names and ip addresses...

edit: but i am not sure if an Ipconfig command will renew the IPaddress on a RAS connection

Edited by JdeB

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

What kind of internet connection are you using? Is your IP address statically assigned, or do you use DHCP? These are all considerations you should have taken into account before asking the initial question.

*** Matt @ MPCS

Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol, it issues your computer internet configuration information so it can connect to the network.

Issue a ipconfig /all from the command line and under the adapter you are working with look for a line that looks like:

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

If it says no instead of yes then you dont have dchp enabled. If you don't knowwhere to look just copy and paste your /all in here and I will read through it for you (you can bleep out any PC specific information).

*** Matt @ MPCS