Dealing with Unexpected Events

fu2m8

Hey Everyone,

Just a quick word of thanks to the developers of this great tool which im sure will save me a lot of time in the future, ive allready used it too create a program that copies a template of a default profile from a specific location to the Windows default user folder and it works wonderfully and has saved me heaps of time. However this brings me on to my question regarding the ways that people deal with unexpected (or even expected) events? With regards to the program i made above it is very precise in its execution and simply runs through with the commands that i gave it, it doesnt really vary from it's original purpose if that makes any sense, it simply runs through.

What i would like to know for example is i am now trying to use AutoIT to (funnily enough) automate a lot of software installs i have to do for work. Ive made a script to automate the install of McAfee Enterprise 7.1 onto a machine and it works fine as long as no previous versions of McAfee exist on the machine. If these do exist then the program changes the installallation procedure and asks if you would like these removed, and this is where my script gets thrown out of whack, what i was hoping is that someone could give me examples of how they deal with these sort of events.

I was thinking i could use an If statement at the particular point in the install to check what the WinTitle/Text was and then sending it to a particular function based on the title and that would probaly work for this software, but there might be other software where the installation does not happen in the exact same way everytime (such as it may pop up a window at different stages of the installation etc or prompt for particular options), bascally if anyone could show me how they adapt their scripts to these different circumstances it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Guest BL@(K-R34P3R

What you said the first time is pretty much right. There is no way to make it foolproof =/. Just as a precaution. Try to do WinActivate("INSTALLSHIELDTHINGY") before you continue with installation, therefore, if you get any popups it will fix that error.