Virtual-Drive

LeeSylvester

You should make this have an autorun feature. So you can login and it will automatically create one.

You don't understand my comment. It is not that I don't know how to permanently bind a virtual drive in an NT system. The problem is, that such virtual drives collide internally with network drives, memory card drives and most probably more system mounted drives. Try to e.g. mount a virtual drive as D: and then connect a USB drive. In many cases this drive will be mounted (by NT) as drive D:, too. This is simply because NT does not know about the presence of a subst-ed drive. The workaround (remapping the USB-drive letter again and again) can be QUITE annoying! And in case of a memory card device it is even more annoying. On my laptop the drive letter of the memory card is fixed to D: and if the collision with a subst-ed drive occurs even unmounting the subst-ed drive letter does not show the memory card drive (until reboot).

OK, you may say, put the subst-ed drive letter to something else than D:. Well, right, that helps - sometimes -, but don't you think that some kind of "bad smell" remains?

best regards

AKo

Actually, I wasn't talking to you, it was a suggestion, but you can scrap it because it does it anyway. :P

As I dont have Win NT I can't say anything as I have no idea how it works. Sorry AKo.

Actually the problem affects all NT based OSses. I personally have XP SP2. People not having this type of problem have Win 98SE or older or maybe Linux...

This has stopped working in 3.2.10.0. Any suggestions?

Open the help file, look for History \ ChangeLog and read the WARNING:

To make it work again you need to change the following include and functions:

OLD FUNCTION                     NEW FUNCTION
#Include <GuiCombo.au3>          #Include <GuiComboBox.au3>
_GUICtrlListViewSetColumnWidth   _GUICtrlListView_SetColumnWidth
_GUICtrlListViewGetItemCount     _GUICtrlListView_GetItemCount
_GUICtrlListViewGetCheckedState  _GUICtrlListView_GetItemChecked
_GUICtrlListViewDeleteAllItems   _GUICtrlListView_DeleteAllItems
_GUICtrlListViewGetItemText      _GUICtrlListView_GetItemTextString
_GUICtrlComboResetContent        _GUICtrlComboBox_ResetContent
AutoIt Scripts:NetPrinter - Network Printer UtilityRobocopyGUI - GUI interface for M$ robocopy command line

The problem, again, is not that the autoit-script may not be able to determine which drive it can use. The problem is, that AFTER the script finished and has subst-ed to a certain drive some NT internal drive creating procedure may come along and redefine that drive letter!

The result is that under certain circumstances you won't be able to access any ressources under that drive letter and in certain cases this can only be resolved with a reboot (without subst).

Again to make sure: This problem has nothing to do with a script, it has to do with SUBST itself, because SUBST is not a well integrated function on NT based systems. It is some relict from DOS, and you know how "good" DOS programs run on NT, XP or the kind...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...